PDA

View Full Version : This time it's a burl!

Roger Chandler
10-30-2010, 1:53 PM
A couple weeks ago a friend called me and said he had a burl for me, turned out it was a stump. Yesterday he told me he had some burls for me, and we were scheduled to hunt the opening day of black powder today,and I told him I would look at them today.

Well, looks like he got it right this time. Cherry burls [2] and maybe the small beginning of 2 more? Also, a nice piece of pin oak, very tight grained, and I now have them all anchor sealed.

Question: What would be the best way to cut the big burl [pic no. 3] so as to utilize it the best.......I am new at burls, so any good advice would be appreciated! :)

Matt Newton
10-30-2010, 2:25 PM
Congrats of the burl. I have gotten some cherry burls and they ended up having voids in them. Yours look very solid. As to how to cut them up, if it were me I would send them to New Hampshire for further study.:rolleyes: Burls are like a box of chocolates, you never know what your going to get. Cut through the pith leaving the burl intact would be my suggestion. Good luck

Fred Perreault
10-30-2010, 2:36 PM
Rog,
Those look like very tight burls. Cherry burls around here are often stricken with soft spots and voids The voids can be nice looking if they are firm. I make mostly utility stuff, so I cut the smaller burls through the center pith and seal the halves for later. A natural edge bowl, or re-saw for plates and platters, or whatever.

Bernie Weishapl
10-30-2010, 5:56 PM
Congrats Roger. That is quite a haul. Can't wait to see what comes of it.

charlie knighton
10-30-2010, 7:25 PM
nice gloat, Roger

Marc Himes
10-30-2010, 7:59 PM
I would cut it through the pith or just rough it out between centers after trimming it to a rough circle shape. The smaller pieces could make very nice hollow form vases. I would rough them all out sooner rather than later. The larger burl could make a beautiful natural edge or winged piece.

Marc Himes

John Keeton
10-30-2010, 8:02 PM
Roger, I have little experience cutting up burls, but I can tell you - have the Anchorseal ready and waiting!!! That cherry will nearly crack as you cut it!

Roger Chandler
10-30-2010, 8:11 PM
Roger, I have little experience cutting up burls, but I can tell you - have the Anchorseal ready and waiting!!! That cherry will nearly crack as you cut it!

Thanks for the tip John. My hope was to have some guys respond as to halve, quarter, or slice off in round disks across the grain????:confused: I just was hoping how to utilize it for the greatest effect, because I have never had any except a piece of redwood burl someone gave me one time, already cut into a blank.

I had hoped the pic would spark someones expertise and bring it to a novice in this area such as myself...........but I am growing .........:D

I am currently thinking rectangle shapes and maybe get some HF blanks, and maybe even something I could do in the DeCristoforo or Keeton genre...........:eek:, OH MY..........:D

John Keeton
10-30-2010, 8:17 PM
Roger, I think the one thing to consider is that the "eyes" normally radiate from the center to the surface - generally in a spoke like formation. So, it is going to depend a little on the look you are after. Most of the burl forms are done with the bark on the top of the form, so the eyes will appear on the top and bottom of the form, but the sides will show the long "rays" of the eyes"

Of course, some burls are just "gnarly" and don't seem to have any direction at all. You really won't know until you cut into it. Making the first cut in the pith is sound advise. You will then be able to see if the eyes radiate. If so, then think about what you want to achieve with the turning.

Roger Chandler
10-30-2010, 8:20 PM
Roger, I think the one thing to consider is that the "eyes" normally radiate from the center to the surface - generally in a spoke like formation. So, it is going to depend a little on the look you are after. Most of the burl forms are done with the bark on the top of the form, so the eyes will appear on the top and bottom of the form, but the sides will show the long "rays" of the eyes"

Of course, some burls are just "gnarly" and don't seem to have any direction at all. You really won't know until you cut into it. Making the first cut in the pith is sound advise. You will then be able to see if the eyes radiate. If so, then think about what you want to achieve with the turning.

That is the kind of information I am looking for! Good stuff, John, ..........grateful to you once again! :)