PDA

View Full Version : A Woodworker's Prayer (gift from my daughter)

Roger Myers
12-26-2004, 4:04 PM
One of the most special gifts that I have ever received came in the form of this writing by my daughter, which she presented to me yesterday morning. It will hang in a place of honor in my workshop. I thought some others might enjoy the words as well....

The Woodworker’s Prayer

Angels guide my hammer, angels guide my saw
Angels guide my working hands and all my planning thoughts.
Angels guide my planer, angels guide my lathe
So every night when work is done I leave the shop unscathed.

For as I do my daily work I lift my head and pray
That angels dance along my bench and guide my every way.
Be with me in the morning, and when the sun does set
Make sure the work that I do now is the best that I’ve done yet.

And when the day’s receding, and the stars begin to show
I know my work is guided by the Lord’s most loving glow,
Keep me safe while working, and let me do my best
And each day I will feel accomplished as I lay down to rest.

So angels guide my tools, and angels guide my hands
And I will bring to life the beauty of these simple plans.
For when I work with angels, I know my work is true
And I am doing what the Lord intended me to do.

Amen

©Katie Myers, Dec. 2004

Merry Christmas all,
Roger

Jim Hinze
12-26-2004, 4:21 PM
That was beautiful. You have a very talented little girl.

Would you or she mind if I printed a copy of the post (copyright included) and hung it in my shop?

Roger Myers
12-26-2004, 4:29 PM
Jim,
Yes I am very proud of her...she would be happy to have others enjoy.....copyright is only to protect her writing....all readers are welcome to use it for their personal enjoyment.
Thanks for your kind comments!
Roger

John Miliunas
12-26-2004, 4:50 PM
Roger, thank you AND, thank Katie for such a wonderful blessing! Per your permission, I've copied and pasted it into Word, enlarged it (Complete w/copyright!) and it will now have a prominent place in my shop for all to enjoy! Thanks again! :) :cool:

Allen Grimes
12-26-2004, 5:19 PM
Wow, your daughter is very talented. I also have some copyrighted poetry. I have been asked to put my stuff into a few poetry compilation books but the people wouldn't give me any money and they were charging an arm and a leg for the books so I didnt think it was fair. The _____s wouldn't even give me a free copy of the book, so I just said no.

Anyway, that is some top notch poetry. Tell her to watch out for snakes like those and not just to give her stuff away so she can have it in a book, especially if she has to pay for that book.

You should try to make some scroll saw plaques with that peom, to sell, and split the money with her. That is if you have a scroll saw. You might even be able to design one and sell the plans for like $5 a pop. and split it 40/40/20.
The 20 is for me for having the idea.:D

Keith Pettersen
12-26-2004, 7:52 PM
Hey Roger I also would like to print that out and hang it above my drafting desk in the shop if you do not mind, your little girl is very talented

Thank you and Happy Holidays
Keith

Karl Laustrup
12-26-2004, 9:10 PM
Roger,
I too, have copied, pasted & printed your daughters' poem so that I can hang it in my workshop.

Please thank your daughter, as I believe I will have someone watching over me as I work in my shop.

Thank you Katie! :)

Karl

Neal White
12-26-2004, 9:20 PM
I also copied it to Word and printed a copy. I'll frame it and hang it in on a wall I can see from the bench. Thanks for sharing this.

Neal

Roger Myers
12-26-2004, 10:04 PM
Glad to see that others enjoy this as i did....was a very touching gift from Katie and I asked her if I could post it and share....
I showed her the replys tonight and she is very happy!
Thanks,
Roger

Arnie Grammon
12-26-2004, 10:39 PM
I too would like to cut and paste this one.....it is very special and worthy of a nice matte and frame. Tell her thank you for giving us permission. There is no doubt that God is watching over me in my workshop.....and Katies's poem sums it up perfectly. Thanks again!

AG

Charlie Woods
12-26-2004, 11:15 PM
Roger:

I have also cut a pasted the poem including copyright, to hang in my office at school and in the shop at home. Congratulations to her on a beatiful poem. I I start each day and shop session with prayer to help me relax and focus. I will include this as part of my prayer session.

Thanks

Jon Olson
12-27-2004, 9:54 AM
Thank you for sharing. What a gift. Your daughter cares for you and it shows.

Jon

Ron Jones near Indy
12-27-2004, 10:05 AM
Roger,
Thanks to you and Katie for sharing this with us. It will have a special place in my shop!

Ray Dockrey
12-27-2004, 10:54 AM
Roger,

Thanks so much for sharing this with us. I to have copied and pasted it into Word along with the copyright and will be hanging it in my garage. Thanks so much.

Jerry Olexa
12-27-2004, 11:54 AM
Roger OUTSTANDING!!! You have a talented and caring daughter. I'm sure you're proud. With your permission. I will paste a cc in word and print for my Workshop. Sincere Thanks!!

Dave Anderson NH
12-27-2004, 12:26 PM
I'm sure it will have a place of honor in the bench room even though it does apply more to power stuff. Katie did you proud on that gift. Much more personal than just a purchased gift. I suppose this means that the newest project request from her takes priority over all other unfinshed projects now?:D She's got you wrapped around her finger buddy. Then again...... there are worse things.;) :D

Dave Moran
12-27-2004, 4:24 PM
Roger, I do believe that your daughter Katie has brought joy to a number of woodworkers, far more than she had in mind when she presented this gift to you and now to the world by giving you permission to share it. Add me to the list of woodworkers that will use it as inspiration in the shop. I would also like to ask if I may send it to a fellow guild member that I belive will find it inspirational as well.

Roger Myers
12-28-2004, 9:50 AM
Thanks for the kind words everyone....I have shared them with Katie and she is very pleased that they are enjoyed by others.

Dave - please feel free to share with others....

Roger

Mark J Bachler
12-28-2004, 11:08 AM
Dear Roger / Katie

On a wall in my shop I have pictures of the people that have helped me most along my wood working journey, that are no longer with us, Pete Bernhard (master German woodworker & boss), Al Hooser ( 1<SUP>st</SUP> foreman, "Keep your eye’s on the blade & your mouth shut") Smiley Tompkins (one of the best I’ve ever seen, car accident took him at 32.) I would be honored to hang your poem among them if you don’t mind.

Roger Myers
12-31-2004, 4:35 PM
Mark, I just showed Katie your post and the company that her small poem will be keeping. She is very touched by this - I don't think she had any idea (nor did I) the number of people that would get pleasure from this prayer. That truly makes her gift to me all the more special.
Thanks so much for sharing your story of the people who have helped you. As Katie continues her studies in English (one of her majors) she is learning the importance of mentors and people who inspire you.
Roger