PDA

View Full Version : wide (sort of) belt sanders

Dennis Putnam
10-30-2010, 10:55 AM
I'm looking for a "wide" belt sander but it seems everything I can find is way too wide and way too expensive or is a little 4" wide hand-held sander. Is there nothing in between like a 12" or 14" portable table top model? TIA.

Jamie Buxton
10-30-2010, 11:21 AM
Must if be a belt sander? Performax (now owned by Jet) makes a 10" drum sander, and I think one at 16". And Grizzly has one at 12".

Van Huskey
10-30-2010, 1:32 PM
The next step up is the Jet 10-20 drum sander, I am not aware of anything in between. The 10-20 is near $700 BUT the Jet 16-32 with legs is on sale for $799 right now. What specifically are you trying to do?

Dennis Putnam
10-30-2010, 1:45 PM
I just need something to handle quarter sawn boards up to 12" wide. The stock I have access to is pretty rough. I guess a drum sander would work as long as it is self feed but I also need it to be relatively portable. Something similar to the 12" to 13" portable thickness planers that are around.

Van Huskey
10-30-2010, 2:00 PM
I just need something to handle quarter sawn boards up to 12" wide. The stock I have access to is pretty rough. I guess a drum sander would work as long as it is self feed but I also need it to be relatively portable. Something similar to the 12" to 13" portable thickness planers that are around.

I would take a hard look at the Jet 16-32, it is on sale now $200 off for $799 shipped and is considered by many (most?) to be the bast drum sander in its price category. It is about 150 pounds... It is variable self feed and has Sandsmart which monitors current draw and slows the feedrate down if the motor is being pushed too hard.

I will include a link to it on sale, most Jet dealers will have this price, just using this one as an example:

http://www.tools-plus.com/jet-629004k.html

The link to it on the Jet site:

http://www.jettools.com/us/manufacturing/en/product.html?node=4647&product=877

The Performax (older pre-Jet purchase) and the Jet ones show up all the time on CL for decent prices also.

Lance Norris
10-30-2010, 3:31 PM
... but I also need it to be relatively portable.

I recently bought the Jet 10/20 Plus with the intent of making it a benchtop machine. I have several benchtop tools bolted to plywood with cleats attached to the underside of the plywood so that I can clamp them into a B&D Workmate. This saves me some space in my size-challenged workshop. I thought I would do the same to the Jet 10/20. Uh... nope. Its too heavy to be man handling around all the time. Its over 100 pounds. Im a large, strong man and its just not what I would call a portable machine. I did buy the stand from a fellow creeker and then mounted casters on the legs and its mobile now, but not portable.

Jamie Buxton
10-30-2010, 8:13 PM

Why are you reaching for a sander? Jointers and planers are the usual way to tackle roughsawn lumber. They can remove a lot of material quickly. Sanders are more for finish work. They remove a rather small amount of material.

Will Overton
10-30-2010, 8:46 PM
Why are you reaching for a sander? Jointers and planers are the usual way to tackle roughsawn lumber. They can remove a lot of material quickly. Sanders are more for finish work. They remove a rather small amount of material.

+1

I have a Jet 16-32 and it is a nice machine. However, the wider the board, the slower the useable feed rate. On a good day I take off about 1/128" in a pass. I know some of the sales material claim it can replace a planer ... I guess if you get paid by the hour and want job security that would be ok.

A thickness planer, with a sled, can face joint and thickness a board a lot quicker.