PDA

View Full Version : First HF Attempt..

gary Zimmel
10-30-2010, 9:30 AM
Well I finally was able to give the monster rig from Randy P. a try.
All in all things went quite well for this first go. Except for not setting the laser correctly near the bottom and got just a tad thin in the wall.
Keen eyes will see the speck of light coming through...

Other than that I was quite happy how this first one turned out.
Simple form of walnut 3.5X3. And not a lot of time spent of finishing as this one will sit by my lathe to be little reminder....
Next will be to try and have a smaller entry hole

I have to say that rig from Randy sure makes the learning curve on hollowing quite short. Sweet tool. Thanks again Randy.

John Keeton
10-30-2010, 9:52 AM
Gary, you certainly did well with the first run!! Great little form, and an excellent training piece. Walnut is such a great wood to work with, and you did right by this piece.

I am betting bowls make up a lot less of your future turnings!!;):D

By the way, you could set in a collar on this one, put on a lid and finial, and the hole would be smaller!

David E Keller
10-30-2010, 10:08 AM
Nicely done, Gary. I think you will continue to love that hollowing system. I'm looking forward to your future forms.

Bernie Weishapl
10-30-2010, 10:35 AM
Really well done. It will get easier the more you do. Look forward to more HF's.

Michael James
10-30-2010, 10:43 AM
nice 1st, heck nice any #.... Keep em coming!
mj

Bill Bolen
10-30-2010, 10:51 AM
A fine first. You will only get better as the hf addiction further infects you...Bill..

Ron Bontz
10-30-2010, 11:21 AM
OK, I am jealous. Nice piece. What wood is that?:)

Steve Schlumpf
10-31-2010, 2:05 PM
Gary - Congrats on your first HF! Very nice work!

Only have to go through the side of your HF a few times to remember to set your laser in line with your cutter! Good thing you learned that lesson right off!

Looking forward to seeing HF #2! Have fun!

Ken Fitzgerald
10-31-2010, 2:08 PM
An extremely well done first HF....good continuous curve.....great wood and finish!

Well done!

Jim Burr
10-31-2010, 2:27 PM
Nice job Gary! As a fellow member of the "Just-got-my-Monster-from-Randy" club, this thing is a blast!!

Walt Caza
10-31-2010, 3:29 PM
Nice job Gary! As a fellow member of the "Just-got-my-Monster-from-Randy" club, this thing is a blast!!

I look forward to joining this club...
(gone to search for loose change in the couch cushions)

You are off to a great start Gary!
thanks for the peek,
Walt

David DeCristoforo
10-31-2010, 3:32 PM
"Except for not setting the laser correctly..."

I'm finding the laser to be a good guide but not infallible. It's also imperative that you get it locked down tight because any vibration can cause it to creep.