PDA

View Full Version : Clear Acrylic PC Case

Michael Simpson Virgina
10-30-2010, 7:52 AM
Yet another of my computer cases.

It has over $200 of clear cast acrylic. Even the internal slide out drive tray is made of acrylic. It consists of 4 stackable layers with overall dimensions of 14" x 12" x 26"

The thing runs whisper quiet as it has a 10" fan mounted between the top two layers blowing up. It has 4 smaller fans pointing in creating a positive air flow. Each intake fan has a filter to keep the dust at bay.

The CPU runs at a Quad 4Ghz and is rock solid It runs non stop 24/7. The CPU is water cooled and has an external outrigger (Also made of clear Acrylic) radiator that works much like a cars radiator. On the upper layer main pump and fluid resivore.

All the fans are controlled by a dynamic 4 channel temperature vs speed fan controller. It also monitors the Pump and sounds an alarm if any fan or pump fails.

The Lower compartment supports 6 hard drives as well as a removable for booting.

The bigest heat generator is the graphics card which is a GTX295. This is actualy a Dual GTX280 on a single card. At one point I had three of these cards mounted in the system running Tripple SLI. Thats 6 Grapic Cores.

Its all powered by a 1000Watt Powersupply thats soo heavy it would break the acrulic if not for the acrylic support under the supply.

This sytem runs autocad like there is no tomorrow. Howerver its main purpos was to encode HighDef videos.

The system used to have 4TB of storage but now its down to just 2 as the white system in the bagcround is a 16TB File surver running two Raid 5 raid arrays.

It was all desinged in Corel Draw X4 and cut on my Epilog laser.

Frank Corker
10-30-2010, 8:35 AM
That's exactly like my system, apart from mine is running an AMD 64x2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ 2.59 GHz, 2.00 GB of Ram and it only has a 150 and a 250 hard drives and a DVD writer. So pretty much identical, except mine doesn't have an all acrylic casing....or light up apart from the data and power lights, but yeah, pretty much the same.

Shawn Conklin
10-30-2010, 9:58 AM
Nice,
For your joining are those simply screws threaded into the acrylic or a nut/bolt combo?

Whats your take on the stability of the corners if you move the thing? We have been experimenting with acrylic case designs but without using corner reinforcements I don't like the structural integrity. The corners however take away from the look a little. Although I do like the batch of corners I just received from ACRyan. ...

Now you need to add a 10" touch screen to the top level as a secondary display :-)

Michael Simpson Virgina
10-30-2010, 4:26 PM
I wont go into the design concepts. Not a single nut. Its a tab and slot concept with screws wdging the tabs. The whole case is a based on the concept of the sum is greater than the parts. You can easly pick the thing up, move it, set it on its side. You access the insides via tha side and real removable panels. removing the panals does not take away from the strength.

This is actualy the 20th or so case I have designed and built on this premis. On my 1/8" hardboard (melimeme) cases you can stand on it once its assembled. You would probably crack the edges of you did that on the acrylic but its very strong.

The case is very refiend and will fit ATX form factor componets. Were were thinking of offering high end kits.

I have a black case that looks awsome. They can also be assembled with little clips we created insted of screws.

We are currently in the process of pattening the actual details of the design as they can apply to other types of enclosures as well.

Bill Cunningham
10-30-2010, 9:59 PM
Is that a 78 RPM Record player at the top..
Wow!! That things got everything :D

Nice job too!

Jiten Patel
11-01-2010, 5:37 AM
But can it make a nice cup of tea and iron your shirts?! :D

Nice work. I want one! Ok I lied, maybe two!