PDA

View Full Version : Pistachio

Kathy Marshall
10-30-2010, 2:40 AM
Got a call from the tree trimmers (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/#) today, was I interested in some pistachio? Well, heck yeah!
I was able to get a few pieces, and as soon as I got home I got out the chain saw and cut one of the logs into blanks. The wood has white sapwood and green heartwood and looks great!
I roughed out 1 bowl (now soaking in DNA) and 1 small plate pretty much cut to finished size, now soaking, hope it does ok. Since it was such a small piece and turned pretty thin I figured it would be ok to turn it to finished size (but I did leave the tenon on in case it needs adjusting).
The wood was fresh cut yesterday and it was spitting water at me while I turned it lol. I love this wood, my chainsaw loves this wood, my bandsaw loves this wood, it turned like a dream (I guess being green really helps lol).

Anyone have any experience with pistachio (as in the nut)? How is it for cracking, warping, etc?

John Keeton
10-30-2010, 7:38 AM
Kathy, no experience with the wood, but from the size of the growth rings it appears it would be a soft wood. Nice coloration, and I bet it does great for you. Look forward to seeing what you post from it.

Rob Cunningham
10-30-2010, 10:09 AM
I don't have any experience with the wood but it does have some nice color. Just curious, what kind of engine do you have on your lathe? I never saw one with a key start before :rolleyes:

David E Keller
10-30-2010, 10:18 AM
Never worked with green pistachio... I have worked with Chinese pistache, but I'm not sure if they are related. The have similar coloring. The pistache was prone to cracking for me. I hope that's not true for pistachio.

Bernie Weishapl
10-30-2010, 10:30 AM
Never turned pistachio but it sure looks like some interesting wood.

Reed Gray
10-30-2010, 1:48 PM
I only saw one piece of it. It came from the Chico, CA area. Reminded me of Brazilian Tulip wood, though with pistachio green instead of the pink. Looked very hard, and looked like it would polish up really well. The guy who had it used it for the back of a dulcimer.

robo hippy

Jim Burr
10-30-2010, 2:33 PM
We get it by the truck load here. Did several pens and some small bowls. Moderate to very hard, tan/dark brown with black streaks. Turns very nicely.

David DeCristoforo
10-30-2010, 3:44 PM
Not yet. But I will one of these days. There was a tree taken down across the street early this summer and I got a bunch of it. I'm trying to spalt some because there did not appear to be much heart and the sap is pretty light. So maybe later this year (or next) I will turn some and then I'll let you know. Of course, by then you will probable already turned enough to tell me some things about it!

Kathy Marshall
10-31-2010, 1:41 AM
I don't have any experience with the wood but it does have some nice color. Just curious, what kind of engine do you have on your lathe? I never saw one with a key start before :rolleyes:
Not sure what the engine is (it's a Delta Heavy Duty 12") but the key isn't to start it. It locks a box that covers the start button. Lock the box and no one can start it unless they have the key.

Steve Schlumpf
10-31-2010, 1:28 PM
Never even seen a pistachio tree but I sure like the looks of your bowl! Hope everything drys without checking!

charlie knighton
10-31-2010, 1:39 PM
very nice, i have no experience with pistachio, it looks as if cuts well

David DeCristoforo
10-31-2010, 5:23 PM
...mine is very similar. I'm having a bit of a problem with it. The headstock shaft pulley will not stay put because the set screw hole is stripped so the pulley migrates toward the "outboard" side. It looks like I'm going to have to pull it apart so I can re-tap the set screw hole in the pulley. Have you ever taken the headstock apart on yours?

Barry Elder
10-31-2010, 5:59 PM
When pistachio is truly dry, it must be good for firewood, 'cause it is so hard it dulled my gouges quickly and repeatedly. It went in the dumpster! My idea of crappy wood.:cool:

Kathy Marshall
11-01-2010, 1:25 AM
...mine is very similar. I'm having a bit of a problem with it. The headstock shaft pulley will not stay put because the set screw hole is stripped so the pulley migrates toward the "outboard" side. It looks like I'm going to have to pull it apart so I can re-tap the set screw hole in the pulley. Have you ever taken the headstock apart on yours?
I've taken the cap off the top to take a peek once, but nothing more than that. Runs like a champ. My dad bought it new in 2001, used lightly until he passed, then it sat for 8 years until I had a place to put it and could bring it home. A bigger swing would be nice, but other than that I'm very happy with it.

Kathy Marshall
11-01-2010, 1:27 AM
When pistachio is truly dry, it must be good for firewood, 'cause it is so hard it dulled my gouges quickly and repeatedly. It went in the dumpster! My idea of crappy wood.:cool:
The wood I got was fresh cut the day I got it, and wet it turned like a dream. Guess I should turn the rest of it soon while it's still wet.