PDA

View Full Version : Rock Maple Rocker - Hollow Form

George Guadiane
10-30-2010, 2:23 AM
This piece popped back out of one of my "drying boxes," so I decided to finish it. I did a rocking bowl recently and liked it, so I'm doing a few more... This is one
Sugar maple branch burl.
I like the little rim thing, not practical, I just like leaving it there.
Six inches in diameter, oil sanded to 600 and burnished with microcrystaline wax.
As Always, All Questions, Comments and Critiques Welcome.

PS: I threw in the last picture because I've been busy and I shouldn't post individually, it would get boring, I'm sure.

alex carey
10-30-2010, 2:44 AM
That wood looks sooooo cool. Never seen anything like that. Doesn't seem like a regular burl at all. Not a big fan of the shape on the first one. I feel like the shoulder would have to be higher if you were to keep it all. Not sure how to explain it.

The other two on the other hand are perfect, especially the one on the right, love that collar.

Steve Vaughan
10-30-2010, 6:29 AM
I like 'em all, very unique color and grain pattern, I think. Love the last pic too with the gaping holes...one of these days, I'm gonna do one like that. Very nice.

John Keeton
10-30-2010, 7:33 AM
George, while I like the wood, I think the form you usually use is better. But, sometimes we just need to do something different!! And, you like it, so that is most important.

I do like the rim treatment you did on the locust burl form, however, and I really like all of the forms with the voids - neat pic!

Bernie Weishapl
10-30-2010, 10:39 AM
Those are beauties George. Really nice wood with some great character.

Doug W Swanson
10-30-2010, 11:23 AM
George,

Nice work, especially on the one with the huge hole. I'm sure that one was fun to turn!

David E Keller
10-30-2010, 11:38 AM
Nice work, George. I love the forms with voids, and the wood in that first pic is just gorgeous.

Nathan Hawkes
10-30-2010, 11:40 AM
They're all great, but the first one with the contrasting colors is amazing!

George Guadiane
10-31-2010, 8:29 AM
Thanks guys!
I have quite a few of the pieces with voids that are in various stages of completion and a bunch more to start... You've given me more incentive to get em done.

Steve Schlumpf
10-31-2010, 1:24 PM
Hey - that's pretty cool George! Not 100% sure of the form on the first one but sure like the Pinto effect of the wood! Gives a different flavor to a southwestern style form!

The like your use of voids! Sure makes it easier to see where you are at while turning and you don't have to stop as often to clean things out!

Looking forward to seeing more!

Baxter Smith
10-31-2010, 10:54 PM
Some great color in that first one. The ones with voids are neat as well.