PDA

View Full Version : Need Recommendation on Brad Nailer

Ken Robb
12-26-2004, 12:41 PM
SWMBO had me build a new storage closet in the basement. Now it's time to install the trim. This includes trim for the rest of the basement which I have been putting off for the last 5 years or so. I'm looking for an inexpensive ($100.00) 18 ga brad nailer, but want to get the best bang for my buck. I don't see myself using this beyond the immediate trim work, but you never know! Any help in choosing a nailer will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken

Bob Smalser
12-26-2004, 12:53 PM
http://www.leevalley.com/images/item/woodworking/assorted/23k0101g1b.jpg

Either the 3.5 or the 6oz will be perfect. ;) The cross peen is to start the brad without pinching fingers.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?SID=&ccurrency=2&page=32052&category=1,43412

They also have a Chinese copy that's pretty good for a lot less.

I'm sure you need something for your shop more than you need Norm's ridiculous production brad nailer used for 6 brads at a time on one-offs.

Greg Narozniak
12-26-2004, 1:01 PM
I have the Stanley Bostich 5/8 to 1 3/8 model 35 (I think) and I am very happy with it. Had it for over 2 years and never had a jam. Father has a PC and he is very happy with his as well.

One thing to keep in mind is try to buy a gun that you can locally purchase nails for. Just a thought

Neal White
12-26-2004, 1:48 PM
The Porter Cable BN125A gets my vote. It currently is listed at amazon at $79.95, but available all over the place. If you also need a compressor, Porter Cable is running various specials with a compressor, air hose and one or two air nailers from about $200 up to $300, depending on what nailer(s) you get. The special with the BN125 will set you back $209.99 I picked up one at the big orange box a couple of weeks ago because I needed it "right now", and both the compressor and gun have been working every day, all day without complaint. Neal

Steve Cox
12-26-2004, 1:52 PM
Here in WA, Costco is selling a twin tank compressor and 16ga gun for $168. Both are Campbell-Hausfeld. I bought a set a few weeks ago and it has worked like a champ. You might look around where you are.

Ted Shrader
12-26-2004, 3:26 PM
Ken -

I have had a Porter Cable BN125 for several years now. Has not misfired once. The compressor package deal at one of the borgs or Amazon will set you up. Soon you will find that an 15ga angle finish nailer will be one your list. :) :)

Ted

Jim Becker
12-26-2004, 3:35 PM
My 18 guage gun is an Accuset by Senco (no longer sold under that brand name). I like Senco and PC for these things, but most of them are pretty good no matter what the label. That said, I think you should consider a 16 guage gun for your intended purpose...the 18 guage brads are too light for trim work, IMHO, unless it's just small moldings. I generally tell folks if they have to own only one gun, the 16 guage is the best compromise between an 18 guage brad gun and a 15 guage angle finish nailer. IMHO, of course!

Happy Holidays, Ken!

Robert E Lee
12-26-2004, 5:22 PM
Harbor Freifgt 3/8" to 2" sometimes on sale 29.99. Have had one for around 5 years and it has never mist a lick. Same with 3/8" to 1 1/4" 19.99.
Bob

Kelly C. Hanna
12-26-2004, 7:42 PM
I have the small PC 125...it's served me well for the last two years.

Walt Pater
12-26-2004, 8:26 PM
A vote for Bostich nailers in general here. At any Bostich tool event, you can have for gun (any age or model) tuned-up/serviced/repaired for free. My 15 ga PC finish nailer just died, and my pneumatic repair shop wanted $189.00 to fix it (it also took them three weeks to arrive at this figure). I picked up a 16 ga Bostich instead of springing for the repair. HTH

Dan Mages
12-26-2004, 8:54 PM
I have a Bostich brad nailer and it does a wonderful job. I saw a new model from them at the Orange Borg that shoots brad nails and staples for about $100.

Dan

Charlie Plesums
12-26-2004, 9:08 PM
I love my Porter Cable BN200 brad nailer - chose it over the BN125 because it handles brads up to 2 inches, rather than just 1 1/4 inch. The Brads have served me fine for interior trim, and disappear much more easily than the finish nails.

I also have a 15 gauge finish nailer, but it may be a little large for interior trim use. 16 gauge may be ok, but I don't have that one - interior I drop to 18 gauge (and use a few more brads) and exterior or heavy trim work I go to 15 gauge.

Mark Singer
12-26-2004, 9:39 PM
I have the PC very good! I also have their pin nailer...very good and handy for fine stuff.

Mike Vermeil
12-26-2004, 10:27 PM
I'm sure all of the brands people have previously mentioned would work fine, but you may want to consider the width of the tip of the gun. My only brad nailer is an older Craftsman model with a very wide tip (in relation to some of the newer guns) that doesn't allow it to reach some of the places I have wanted to shoot brads - or at least it wouldn't allow me to shoot the brads at the angle I'd like. To remedy this I removed the saftey, and now have a gun that I have to be very careful with.

Many of the newer brad nailers on the market have very long and slender tips which allow brads to be shot into tight quarters. It may not seem like a major issue, but I can't tell you how many times my nailer's wide tip has made it difficult to use.

Rob Russell
12-27-2004, 10:27 PM
I have both the Porter Cable DA250 angled finish nailer and the BN200 brad nailer. I would disagree that the BN200 alone is adequate for trim work. I installed a bunch of trim at my Dad's cottage including crown mouldings - and the crown is where you need the extra length of the 2 1/2" nail.
When you're shooting at an angle through the crown and sheetrock, trying to catch a stud, the extra length can be important.

Were I to do it again, I'd spend the money on a Senco, but only because they are oilless. Other than that - I'm perfectly happy with both of the guns. You don't need to use them much to have realized the time savings and ease of installation that the guns provide.

Just my .02.

Rob

Ed Hardin
12-28-2004, 11:05 AM
I'll vote with Jim. 16 gage is the way to go. I have the 15 ga finish nailer too. Both work great. The finish nailer for base board and 16 ga for smaller trim. Both are Porter Cable and have yet to miss a beat.