PDA

View Full Version : Old Crib Frames

Anthony Whitesell
10-29-2010, 8:41 PM
Due to the crib recalls because the cheapo manufacturers used plastic parts instead of metal, I have most a crib now. The manufacturer recalled the cribs by having me return just enough hardware to make the crib unusable. I had to return all the crib supporting hardware and brackets, which as best I could tell, was custom made for the crib.

I'm looking for ideas for what to do with what's left. I have the sides, the ends, and the mattress frame. So fire away with those ideas.

Jamie Buxton
10-29-2010, 9:36 PM
What's happening with cribs is that the government has declared that drop-side cribs are going to be outlawed. Or maybe they've already done it. It sounds like you had a drop-side crib. Can you revise it a bit so that it is a fixed-side crib? Think of some other way to bolt the crib together.

And while you're thinking about it, try to make the remodeled crib come apart for storage, or for transport to the next user. That is, screws and bolts, not glue.

Chris Padilla
10-29-2010, 10:06 PM
Do you want to keep it a crib or what?

Anthony Whitesell
10-29-2010, 10:25 PM
Unfortunately, I no longer have the hardware to make it a crib. I don't have the pieces that hold the mattress frame tot he wooden crib frame. The manufacturer wanted those pieces back in order to issue me a refund. So I'm looking for ideas that would convert the pieces to something useful for a kid, adult, or otherwise.

On the other note, what's happened is the CPSC got too lazy to develop a set of requirements for the construction of a crib. I was involved in two recalls. The first recall was due to the slats breaking and/or pulling free of the rails. Why? Because the wood was too thin or weak or mortises were too shallow, respectively. The solution, require a minimum thickness for the slats and a minimum depth for the mortises (a thru-mortise would be the easiest to police). The width and distance between are already mandated per CPSC manual I found at the time. The second recall was because the plastic "ears" that guide the crib side on it's track were breaking off allowing the bottom of the side to pull away from the gap. The solution: require metal hardware that won't break. The solutions aren't that difficult. The picture posted at the time of the recall showed the outer ears broken and the bottom rail pulled away from the crib. It was obviously a mock-up and not a photo of a real failure as it would be phyisically impossible for it to brake that way. But to their credit, if they showed it the right way (inner ears broken) the picture would be much more difficult to make. If I had all the information before I sent the pieces back I would have fabricated them properly myself.

Sorry about the rant, but know that I have a better understanding of the situations and some wood working skills thanks to all of you, the fact they outlawed it due to poor manufacturing practices really annoys me.

johnny means
10-30-2010, 12:37 AM
the fact they outlawed it due to poor manufacturing practices really annoys me.

Actually, they outlawed them because drop side cribs are dangerous, even well constructed one. Like little wooden guillotines for soft baby parts. I specialize in children's furniture and in researching safety I have come upon some real horror stories caused by seemingly harmless design features. Be glad that someone is watching out for our children.

Ben Martin
10-30-2010, 7:34 AM
Well, it is Halloween tomorrow, perhaps a fire to keep your cauldron going? :D

Dave Rathert
10-30-2010, 9:30 AM
I built my sons crib. It transitions from a crib to toddler bed to full size bed. After it’s a full size bed the sides of the crib go away. I’m planning on putting some wide feet along the bottom rail of each side (my lack of furniture terminology hurts here) and turning them into the sides of a computer desk. I don’t have any plans drawn up yet as he's only 7 months and that day is a few years down the road.
That’s my idea, hope it helps.

-D