PDA

View Full Version : New Tools Gloat

Mark Dorman
10-29-2010, 8:36 PM
I came into some cash and when I told my wife she said those three little words I like to here.
Have fun shopping. SO I got the Veritas flat spokeshave and the router plane and fence. woo-hoo.

Mark

Gil Knowles
10-29-2010, 11:33 PM
Mark

Nice score, I am sure you will be very pleased with these. I have a number of Veritas products and am very happy with them all. The spokeshaves and router plane are on my wish list along with quite a number of other LV products, My problem is they keep coming out with new products and the list never gets any shorter.

Gil

Andrew Gibson
10-29-2010, 11:47 PM
If you didn't have a spokeshave or router plane you will find yourself wondering how you ever did without them. there are so many things that you can do with them it's not even funny.

I have old stanley's for my shave and router so I can only imagine how much of a dream the LV offerings would be to use.

Andrae Covington
10-30-2010, 2:18 AM
I have the Veritas router plane and it's great. I've never used a vintage one so can't give a comparison, but the depth of cut is easy to adjust and then lock in place, I think the handles are comfortable, and the blades are stout. I also bought the fence, but haven't used that yet. Since I have a plow plane I wonder if I ever will need a fence on the router.

The one kinda downside I will say is that it's a fairly large tool to work with, depending on what you're doing. I can foresee some day in the future when I'll wish I had the small version as well.

Jim Koepke
10-30-2010, 2:29 AM
You will find good uses for both of those. I have old Stanley shaves, just recently bought a #63 with a curved sole.

My router is an old Sargent. I have a Stanley fence that I have adapted. There are a lot of things a router plane can do that a plow plane can't.

jtk

Mark Dorman
10-30-2010, 9:13 AM
I did a little playing with the spokeshave last night and must say I have never had a tool feel this good right out of the box. It just felt right and gave me that; look what you can do now sorta inspirational jucie running through my veins feeling. Next comes the Night Stand out of white oak for my wife and both the Router and Spokeshave will get some use.

Mark