PDA

View Full Version : Another request for buying advise

Thom Sturgill
10-29-2010, 8:09 PM
Getting close to popping for either a coring system or a hollowing system. I am strongly leaning to Randy's articulated monster, so no question there. BUT, I know little about coring systems, so I want information not found in advirts...
What I've figured out so far:
OneWay - easily the most expensive, it looks to be less flexible in cutting out different shapes, but more stable.
Woodcut bowl saver - lowest price, but looks good, Not sure how much tail stock really helps.
McNaughton - probably most flexible for cutting either shallow or deep bowls.
Missing any?

For those who've used more than one system, which do you prefer and why?

Josh Bowman
10-29-2010, 8:33 PM
+++1 on the Monster
I was hollowing within a few minutes of opening the package....never had done any hollowing before.

Kyle Iwamoto
10-29-2010, 9:25 PM
I have a NcNaughton, it has a very steep learning curve. I have yet to get 3 bowls from a blank. But I know people that can get 5 bowls. They have 5 systems from micro to large. I turn infrequently. (I have a day job) More practice will help. I'll get up to a 5 bowl set someday.
I don't have a hollowing set, due to the high cost and I haven't yet been able to use my coring system effectively, but I would get the Rolly Munro set.

Bernie Weishapl
10-29-2010, 10:21 PM
Thom I used the McNaughton and the Oneway before I bought. I went with the oneway even though it was higher because of the ease of use. I watched the DVD that came with it and cored a set of bowls within 15 minutes of watching it.

Thom Sturgill
10-30-2010, 7:12 AM
Bernie, I'm a couple of years behind you on retiring, so I'm trying to equip the shop while I still have the income! I just re-read the other thread (didn't know it had so much response as I read it early when there were only two or three answers.) To me I think its flexibility will be the key factor. Robo Hippy and Hillel pretty much laid it out for me.

Dave Rivers
10-30-2010, 7:29 PM
Thom, I have the McNaughton coring system, it's does have a learning curve, I have enjoy the results. The monster hollowing system I have been looking at and the Jamieson system, after much procrastination I order the Monster from Randy this afternoon. I have tried hollow forms, I am convinced free handed hollowing is not my cup of tea.

Dave

Dave Rivers
10-30-2010, 7:31 PM
Thom, I have the McNaughton coring system, it's does have a learning curve, I have enjoy the results. The monster hollowing system I have been looking at and the Jamieson system, after much procrastination I order the Monster from Randy this afternoon. I have tried hollow forms, I am convinced free handed hollowing is not my cup of tea.

DaveUgly but honest!