PDA

View Full Version : Router Lift

George Bokros
10-29-2010, 7:33 PM
Considering getting a router lift for my table. I am considering one which is sold under three different brand names. It is sold under Kreg, Woodpeckers, and Pinnacle.

I have been living without a lift for about four years and have been thinking a lift would be a good addition to the table.

Opinions, those of you that have lifts are they worth the cost. The one I am considering fits my PC 7518 router and costs $299.

Thanks in advance.

glenn bradley
10-29-2010, 7:59 PM
The PRL to fit your router is on clearance at Woodpeckers for $199 (that's $130 off). I'd jump on a 16TPI which is what I have for my Milwaukee 5625. Been running it for years with no worries. They have replaced the aluminum rings with some sort of synthetic however.

http://www.woodpeck.com/precisionrouterlift.html

They are a luxurey if your router already adjusts from above the table, auto-locks and can change bits by just raising it to height but, it will change the way you look at routing on your table. If mine disappeared, I'd grab another one right away. I'm almost tempted to buy a "spare" just in case.

Bill Huber
10-29-2010, 8:32 PM
George, have you looked at the new Jessem, it fits just about any router out there today without the use of any adapters.
I have one and it is built like a battleship but smooth as it can be. Now that I have had it for about a month I can really say now I like it even better then when I first got it. It is so smooth and easy to raise and lower you can spin the crank with on finger. Everything about it is quality to the utmost.

http://www.jessemdirect.com/Mast_R_Lift_II_p/02120.htm

Here is a post I made when I got my new Master R Lift II.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=149596&highlight=jessem+router+lift

Gil Knowles
10-29-2010, 8:39 PM
George

I have had the Jessem lift, table and fence for 3 years now. They are very solid and well made. The first table and fence I had was a Freud and their is no comparison, the Jessem products are miles ahead of the Freud. The only regret I have is that I did not buy the Jessem first.

Gil

Alan Schaffter
10-29-2010, 8:48 PM
If you decide on the Woodpeckers or JessEm lifts get the version sold by INCRA. The mechanisms and plates are the same but the plates are milled to accept INCRA's steel inserts which are much better than those supplied by the original manufacturers! The INCRA inserts sit flatter, can't spin, are firmly held in place by rare earth magnets but can be popped out easily. As soon as I have the $, I plan to replace my WP plate with twist-in rings with an INCRA one.

John Morrison60
10-29-2010, 11:09 PM
I installed the PRL V2 in my Bench Dog TS Wing when the V2 first came out.

I makes so many of the standard router table tasks so much easier and
quicker. I also thought about buying a spare several times when they
went on sale. I can not imagine doing it another way.

John

Stephen Cherry
10-29-2010, 11:21 PM
I've got the masterlift, which is OK, but you might also consider one of the old delta heavy duty shapers. Sometimes these are available for the cost of a good router lift, and they are much more rigidly constructed.

Mike Heidrick
10-29-2010, 11:56 PM
the prl to fit your router is on clearance at woodpeckers for $199 (that's $130 off). I'd jump on a 16tpi which is what i have for my milwaukee 5625. Been running it for years with no worries.

http://www.woodpeck.com/precisionrouterlift.html

they are a luxurey if your router already adjusts from above the table, auto-locks and can change bits by just raising it to height but, it will change the way you look at routing on your table. If mine disappeared, i'd grab another one right away. I'm almost tempted to buy a "spare" just in case.

+1!!!!!!!!!!

Chris Strizver
10-30-2010, 1:27 AM
I'm pretty new here so I've been browsing the archives here while I'm supposed to be working and found this (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=68569)thread on page 1003. The thread happens to be about box joints. However, some links in the thread lead me to a this site: woodgears.ca/joinery.html

This guy is amazing and has a router lift jig that looks very cool. I'll be using his work as inspiration as soon as my shop is done.

I have no affiliation with the site; I just found it by browsing archives here. He sells plans for some of his jigs at seemingly reasonable prices. Hopefully re-sharing the link is OK.

Van Huskey
10-30-2010, 2:20 AM
As long as the PRL is on sale for $199, I wouldn't consider any of the others. There is a good argument for several lifts but I have yet to see anything on a lift that is worth $100+ over the PRL.

George Bokros
10-30-2010, 5:51 AM
As long as the PRL is on sale for $199, I wouldn't consider any of the others. There is a good argument for several lifts but I have yet to see anything on a lift that is worth $100+ over the PRL.

The one I am referring to @ $299 is the PRL V2

James Malcolm
10-30-2010, 8:57 AM
I absolutely love my PRL V2 w/ PC 7518. Raising and lowering the table to any position with a flip of the wrist is right up there with the Incra/Jointech positioners in how much easier things become, no more winding of that darn handle. The $100 difference in price will mean absolutely nothing in 10 years when you're still using the same lift. Add a digital readout and you'll need new underwear the second time you use it to setup your PITA bits :D

Jim O'Dell
10-30-2010, 9:08 AM
I also have the PRLv1, and love it!! The v2 has some really nice extra features. 199.95 for the v1 is an exceptional price if they are still available. That's about what I paid for mine from Woodpecker 6 years ago, and it was a scratch and dent refurbished model. Their warranty is exceptional, and they do stand behind their products, as I had to send mine in this last Spring because the mechanism was gummed up making it hard to adjust. Fast service, came back working like new.
Both versions are made for the 7518 router motor, so no adapters needed. I've personally not had any problems with the twist lock rings, but I agree that the Incra unit with the magnet system looks nice. I haven't seen how thick the steel inserts are see if that might be a problem down the road or not, especially if dropped on a concrete floor.
Which ever version you decide on, be sure and get the template and a template router bit the right size for cutting your recess. Makes for a perfect fit with no fussing! Jim.

Gene Howe
10-30-2010, 9:39 AM
I love my Jessem and PC7518.

Alan Schaffter
10-30-2010, 10:07 AM
Which ever version you decide on, be sure and get the template and a template router bit the right size for cutting your recess. Makes for a perfect fit with no fussing! Jim.

No need to buy a template. A tip in the Dec issue of WWJ shows you how to make a simple, no fuss, perfectly shaped and sized one. I know the guy who submitted the tip and it works exceptionally well. :D:D:D

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/medium/Router_plate_template.jpg

George Bokros
10-30-2010, 10:18 AM
I have the Hartville Tool router table. The current cutout is 9"X12". I will have to enlarge to 9 1/4 but I am hoping the 1/8" on each short side won't be a problem. O could cut a 1/8 or 1/4 shim and shim one or both ends I suppose.

Thoughts??

glenn bradley
10-30-2010, 10:22 AM
No need to buy a template. A tip in the Dec issue of WWJ shows you how to make a simple, no fuss, perfectly shaped and sized one.

I've used Alan's recommended method. Just match your bit radius to your outer corner radius and it's a no-brainer.

George Bokros
10-30-2010, 10:24 AM
I absolutely love my PRL V2 w/ PC 7518. Raising and lowering the table to any position with a flip of the wrist is right up there with the Incra/Jointech positioners in how much easier things become, no more winding of that darn handle. The $100 difference in price will mean absolutely nothing in 10 years when you're still using the same lift. Add a digital readout and you'll need new underwear the second time you use it to setup your PITA bits :D

Quick question since you have the V2 if you don't mind. How do you set the rough height position? I am thinking you push the router down and release the locking handle then adjust with the thumb wheel.

Thanks for your input.

Alan Schaffter
10-30-2010, 10:26 AM
I've used Alan's recommended method. Just match your bit radius to your outer corner radius and it's a no-brainer.

With my method you can use a flush trim or pattern bit with any radius equal to or smaller than the corner radius of the plate.

James Malcolm
10-30-2010, 2:19 PM
George, You're exactly right. You can let off the handle at any time in mobile mode and the lift will stay in position. Get it close by eye or use a setup block and then adjust the thumbwheel. I was worried before I bought it how well the thumbwheel would work. So far it has been great. Turns easily with just the right amount of resistance, just the right height that you don't have to push your finger down in to engage it. The twist rings are alright. Biggest problem is finding the wrench to change them out. The Incra style would be nice. Very pleased with this product.

I have a digital readout on mine. I use a block across the opening to find the zero height of the bit relative to the table, zero out the digital readout. Move it close to the final height, then adjust with the thumbwheel. Haven't had to readjust one yet after the trial cut. Maybe with a few more years I won't even do a trial cut. Not quite there just yet.

I think I like mine so much because I have it mounted in a side table to my table saw. In a few seconds I can drop any router bit below the table. If it was mounted in a seperate table, it wouldn't be as big a deal to me. Still nice for bit changes though.

Chip Lindley
10-30-2010, 2:43 PM
Own JessEm router lift for Half Price! Check this out:

http://www.jessem.com/SPECIAL_OFFER.html

George Bokros
10-30-2010, 3:47 PM

Hmmm....."Made Offshore" not for me.

Neil Brooks
10-30-2010, 4:05 PM

You and the others are NOT helping ....

Let me start by apologizing about the delay with your lift. We are working
very hard to complete the lifts that were ordered. The last ones to be
finished are the ones for the 5625 Milwaukee.
They are just a bit more work then the others. The guys are telling me we
are at about one or two more weeks.

:(

Pretty darned excited about it.

I like the way Glenn put it: a luxury for many, but ... probably ... the kind that -- after you've used it for a while -- you don't want to do without !

Darcy Forman
10-31-2010, 2:14 PM
I have the Incra master R lift. Love it, and can't imagine running a router table without one. I change bits alot in my work as well as hight frequently. It is solid and very persise. I also have the Incra 25" LS positioner and I built my own custom router table. I just love well built machinery that does exactly what it was intended to do.

Justin Dreier
10-31-2010, 3:42 PM

Pretty happy with the Mast-R-Lift overseas unit I purchased. This is one beast of a lift that works great. They changed thier design quite a bit after clearing out this overseas batch. For the price, this is a score. One that I will enjoy for many years to come.

Alan Lightstone
10-31-2010, 5:14 PM
Very happy with the PRL-V2. No complaints.

Curt Harms
11-01-2010, 7:35 AM
With my method you can use a flush trim or pattern bit with any radius equal to or smaller than the corner radius of the plate.

Yup. A 1/2" top bearing pattern bit gave me the proper radius. I didn't fill the corners, the bit created the proper radius on its own. Here's one place where the inability of a router bit to create a square corner is useful :).