PDA

View Full Version : A little help please...

Bren Kano
10-29-2010, 7:22 PM
I am ready to purchase my first laser and have a few questions. I plan to use it for POS merchandise, signage and possibly photo cutouts. Generally I will be mostly vector cutting 1/8" acylic. Is a 30 watt laser enough power? What speed will I be able to achieve? What about for 3/16"? I also read that it takes a little longer to cut black acrylic compared to clear acrylic. Is this true?

Any and all help appreciated. Thanks.

Joe Pelonio
10-29-2010, 10:30 PM
Yes, 30 watts is fine for 1/8" acrylic, for 3/16 you will quickly tire of waiting as it will be slow. If you are doing production work for items to sell more power would be a lot better for you. Before you buy try to get a demo on the machine cutting the 3/16. Figure cutting a 12x24" sheet of 2" circles, start the job, start a movie on the DVR and get a drink, the movie will be nearly over before you need to change material. ;)

I have 45 watts and have never noticed any difference in colors for speed, maybe it's something seen on lower power machines. I cut either at speed 8 for 1/4".

Rodne Gold
10-29-2010, 11:12 PM
If you are only vector cutting with minimal engraving , I would go for one of the cheaper chinese 80 or 120w Glass tubed machines and get one with a largeish bed - I used to do a lot of POS/signage vector cutting and now no longer do it as my customers all bought these and are running em with great success , running 2x or more faster than my 30 watters , cut quality is pretty good too.

Bren Kano
11-01-2010, 4:21 PM
Appreciate the advice Joe I'll try to do that. Rodne, thanks for the tip. I will look into that option as well.