View Full Version : What is a field underwriter?

Glen Butler
10-29-2010, 7:05 PM
I am applying for jobs and I saw this position for a field underwriter.


I sent my resume and they called me in for an interview. I am hoping someone out there could shed some light on what this position is. The requirements listed feel to me like one of those sales companies that try to attract a mass of suckers in hopes that a few are willing to give it a go, but you have to hold meetings with people you know and network to make any money.

Callan Campbell
10-29-2010, 8:07 PM
Risk Assessment for insurance companies. I believe it means you're out of the office at times and out in the field to inspect and assess the possible risks of something that has, or is getting, an insurance policy on it like a jobsite, building, etc. I only googled the job, and suggest you do the same since my info is way too lean and not detailed from someone who actually does it for a living. :o Most of the descriptions list a possible background in finance as nice to have, and technical/computer skills for working with data bases to make the risk decisions and assessments needed for policy issuers or companies.

Jim N Burke
10-29-2010, 8:25 PM
The field underwriters in our organization inventory buildings and equipment with a checklist of items to note such as age, condition, make & model for vehicles. This info is then entered by them or others into a program that helps to determine risk and rates. Most of them don't have a lot of financial background but are very organized and observant; sticklers for detail. They need to make sure they don't overlook anything that might increase our exposure to risk.

Hope this helps.


Glen Butler
11-01-2010, 9:26 AM
Yes I have googled information about the job, and have pretty much only found what you have told, which I already knew. I guess I am wondering, will I simpy be going to people who already want insurance and filling applications, or do I have to sell insurance.

Mike Wilkins
11-01-2010, 9:31 AM
Check with your own insurance agent who can give a detailed explanation of the position. The term 'field' is just as it was suggested. Insurance companies use these folks to physically inspect a potential risk that they are considering writing a policy for. The company I work for uses them mainly for assessing commercial risks, but are sometimes pressed into service for looking at a high-end property, like a million dollar home.
Good luck in the interview. This is a nice position to have, and in this economy, usually pretty stable.

George Beck
11-01-2010, 10:10 AM
An interesting bit of trivia. The term "underwriter" comes from the days of the clipper ships to the new world. These voyages were risky and merchant marines needed to raise the capital to protect against the risk. In a little coffee house named "Loyds of London" the name of the ship and its potential cargo and profits would be posted. Any gentry wanting a "piece of the action" that is to subsidize the risk., would write his name and amount under the ships name. Hence the the term underwriter. I have kept this filed in my brain under "Useless information" or "Stuff only people on Jeopardy would know".