PDA

View Full Version : I Went "Shopping!" (Gloat)

George Guadiane
10-29-2010, 4:41 PM
It rained pretty hard on Wednesday, so I stayed home and vegged.
Thursday came up damp, but bright and sunny, so I went over to the mulch yard to shop.
Right after a good rain is a great time to look, all of the wood is rinsed and the end grain shows up fairly well.
In the back of the truck is some VERY curly ambrosia maple, that was from their firewood pile, good for my pen turning/bottle stopper buddies. An unknown burl, smells a little like peppermint, and it's hard. A piece of crotch hickory, a BIG barkless cherry crotch and a couple of my FAVORITE BURL (black locust). I have already roughed most of what I brought back (pictured on the lathe), I'll finish roughing the rest tonight or tomorrow... BUT, I finished the smaller piece of black locust burl (pictured)

Bill Bolen
10-29-2010, 5:01 PM
Congrats on a fine haul George! Sue makes me wish we had a "mulch yard"...Bill...

David E Keller
10-29-2010, 5:07 PM
That's a nice looking haul. The locust burl is really nice looking.

Steve Vaughan
10-29-2010, 5:15 PM
Nice find and the locust bowl is beautiful! Love the grain action!

charlie knighton
10-29-2010, 5:41 PM
i need to follow you around one day, nice gloat :D

Jim Burr
10-30-2010, 12:11 AM
I've been meaning to see my uncle in NYC...I think your wood pile would be more fun!!! Great pieces and...wow!!

George Guadiane
10-30-2010, 2:05 AM
i need to follow you around one day, nice gloat :D

I've been meaning to see my uncle in NYC...I think your wood pile would be more fun!!! Great pieces and...wow!!

You're both welcome, any time... And you don't have to follow, I'll take you in myself - I still get first pick, but there is SO MUCH there, that finding something worth turning is the easy part... Leaving the really good stuff, because there just isn't any place to store it is the hard part.

I threatened to sell my chainsaws the other day. SWMBO talked me down, I keep going back for more and I already have two or three years worth cut, waxed and stored.

alex carey
10-30-2010, 2:50 AM
my gosh i love that vase.

John Keeton
10-30-2010, 7:34 AM
Great haul, and I really, really like that locust form! Beautiful burl!

Bernie Weishapl
10-30-2010, 10:37 AM
Great haul George. The black locust looks great.