PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to Turn First Bowl

Mike Turner
10-29-2010, 3:38 PM
I have never turned a bowl or anything on a faceplate. For a first one what kind of wood , glue some pine together maybe ???? Any directions or help will be appreciated...Thanks in advance

Ken Fitzgerald
10-29-2010, 3:43 PM
Buy Bill Grumbine's first DVD "Turned Bowls Made Easy". You can find it at a lot of websites ...or at his website. He takes you from cutting the log into bowl blanks to roughing a bowl...finish turning a bowl....and finishing the bowl.

Excellent video. There are no turning clubs close to me.....that's how I learned.

Roger Chandler
10-29-2010, 3:46 PM
Mike,

If you could find a log piece from a tree trunk, then you could turn a bowl. Perhaps if you contacted a tree service they might have a few pieces laying around, or maybe a landscaping service. Sometimes the local dump has an area that has old stumps and trees, and you might be able to find some wood there as well. Many options are available.

Just cut the log piece in half, and remove the pith, and trim the corners off, making sure the blank will mount on your lathe, then turn.

You could do a glue up of some boards as well, but most turners just use a piece of natural wood.

Prashun Patel
10-29-2010, 4:08 PM
As a newbie bowl turner I submit the following:

1) Get the Grumbine video

2) Turning logs has its own learning curve. Don't start there.

3) Start with a hunk of 2x6 from the BORG. That's the perfect size to start. Not too deep, not too wide.

John Merc
10-29-2010, 4:40 PM
Mike- Paul has it right, get Bill's video. Very helpful and I found his method of teaching very easy to follow. I found it easier to learn using green wood from local felled trees. Easier to cut and the price is right!!! Hope to see some of your bowls soon.

Scott Hackler
10-29-2010, 4:52 PM
Although I will agree that a chunk of dried wood from the big box stores would be easier to aquire and you can turn to a finished form, without drying, I think that the first time you start peeling long curlies from a green log...... you'll be hooked.

There is a learning curve, of course, with roughing out a half log. Getting a video like the one suggested, would help 1000%. As wood some hands on teaching from a fellow woodturner. Look for a local club or a fellow member, here on SMC, and try to get a lesson.

Good luck!

Michael James
10-29-2010, 5:42 PM
Pine is soft and can tear out easily from just a screw, so make sure it's secured with all the aux screws you can add. Be careful, because when things go south, they go fast. :eek: Safety 1st! Have fun above all!

Jim Burr
10-30-2010, 12:26 AM
Mike, this will sound dumb...but get a video, Bill's, Mahoney's, whoevers...chunk up a piece of wood safely and have at it..learn why it digs in, why it did this and why it did that. Have a cup o joe and have at it again. Don't expect anything, just get happy that you just took a big step , made some curlies and learned a lot. Step 2...take lot's of pictures...Step 3...post 'em :D:D:D

Bernie Weishapl
10-30-2010, 10:44 AM
Mike I have to agree with the DVD of Bill's and Mike Mahoney's. Both are excellent. Take you from cutting the log, cutting it into bowl blanks, drying methods, and returning it to the lathe after drying. I can tell you from experience that turning pine glued up is not the way to go especially just starting out IMHO. I tried it when I first started and figured if that was what turning was like I wouldn't like it. While yes it can be done the tear out and other problems are not worth it.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-30-2010, 10:59 AM
Mike,

Bernie brings up an interesting point.

Most turners turn green wood when roughing a bowl out. Let it dry and then finish turn it.

The reason for turning green wood during the roughout stage is it's easier on man and tools while you are removing the majority of the waste wood.

Trying to learn to turn bowls on pine and dry wood is the rough row to hoe.

Thomas Canfield
10-30-2010, 9:21 PM
The Grumbine or Mahoney DVDs are great. Green wood is also great to start with to learn tool tool techniques. I would list the following:

1. Green cross grain with bowl rim in center is easiest to start with.
2. Round up blank or cut corners to balance piece and minimize vibration and start at slow speed.
3. I recommend either a faceplate or the screw in chuck for mounting
4. Use the tailstock, even with faceplate, for initial starting to round up outside and form a tenon
5. Keep bowl size reasonable with depth about 1/4 to 1/3 max of diameter - shallow bowls are easier to hollow
6. Keep your tools sharp and increase speed when piece is balanced
7. Keep your tools sharp - practice sharpening before your final cut
8. Turn several before you attempt your "FIRST" finish piece. Practice riding the bevel
9.Thick walls and bottoms are OK, especially at the start.
10. Hardwoods turn better than the softer woods that are more prone to tear, and pine and other with hard/soft growth rings are hard. Look for clear wood for starter.
11. Speed improves the cut, but cannot replace sharp tools.
12. Have fun when you see green curls fly.

Greg Just
10-30-2010, 9:27 PM
Check at your local public library for both DVD's and books. Mine had quite a few books and a few DVD's. Good luck

Steve Schlumpf
10-31-2010, 1:42 PM
Mike - another vote for Grumbine's video and also, like Scott suggested, get with your local turning club or an experienced turner and get a few lessons. Most of us are self-taught but will highly recommend lessons if it can save you the frustrations we went through when first starting out!

Looking forward to seeing your first bowl!

Kyle Iwamoto
10-31-2010, 4:01 PM
One thing, you NEED a bowl gouge. Don't try roughing or spindle gouges on the inside of a bowl. If you don't have a bowl gouge, you can get away with a round or bowl scraper. But, the bowl gouge will be your workhorse of your tool aresenal. That is where you need to plink down those hard earned dollars.
You need access to a chainsaw if you want to turn "free" felled trees. Try Craigslist for free wood.
Did anyone mention Bill's DVD yet?:D

Wally Dickerman
10-31-2010, 4:37 PM
I suggest that you ask at your local wood store about lessons. Taking a class in beginning bowl turning gets you started right. Watching DVD's is great there is really no subsitute for hands-on learning. A good teacher will help you not only on technique but also on what tools you'll need to start out. When I'm teaching a beginners bowl class most of the students have never turned a bowl before. They are able to skip some of the frustrations of being on their own.

Wally