PDA

View Full Version : Name 3 Turners Who Have Influenced You The Most

Wally Dickerman
10-29-2010, 3:31 PM
I think that just about all of us can remember someone who influenced us the most in our woodturning hobby. I had been turning on my own for many years before I ever met another turner, so in my early years I was influenced only by my own fascination with making things round.

I can remember in about 1979 an article in Fine Woodworking about David Ellsworth and his thin-walled, small opening hollowforms. I saw those photos and vowed that someday I would be able to do that. I was delighted when at the first AAW symposium in 1987, David critiqued one of my HF's.

After starting woodturning as a teenager in 1936, I never saw another turner at the lathe until about 1983, when Dale Nish did a demo at a wood store in Seattle. First time I'd ever seen a bowl gouge. I don't think that anyone else in the audience had either. What an eye popping sight to see those curls of wood flying from Dale's tool. Since then Dale has become a good friend.

Rude Osolnik became a good friend and influenced my turning a lot back in the late 80's. He was teaching at the traveling wood show and stayed with me and my wife when the show came to Seattle. We spent time together in my shop.

There have been others of course. Can you think of three people who have influenced your turning the most?

Wally

Ken Fitzgerald
10-29-2010, 3:37 PM
Keith Rowley, Bill Grumbine, Alan Lacer and Richard Raffan.....yeah...I know ....that's 4....

When the idiot turners here decided to send me a lathe, tools and wood....I didn't know there was another turner in the state of Idaho.

Keith Rowley's book and videos by Grumbine, Lacer and Raffan were my instructional tools.

Rowley has since died. I hope someday to meet the others and thank them for the help they unknowingly provided.

bob svoboda
10-29-2010, 3:54 PM
I have also been influenced by the works of Bill Grumbine, John Jordan and the like. My biggest influence was a local gentleman by the name of John Hampton. When I first became interested in turning (and didn't have any idea what a vortex was) he invited me to his home, cut the end off an alder log, created a blank, and turned a bowl while giving me a wealth of information and some hands-on experience. People like John are what give turners a good name (and also create more turners).

Jim Burr
10-29-2010, 3:58 PM
Raffan, Mahoney and Mr Grumbine.
I have DVD from all of them and a few others. That is the only education offered around here and those 3 continue to challenge me on a piece by piece basis

Art Kelly
10-29-2010, 4:11 PM
Bill Grumbine, Rude Osolnik, Richard Raffan.

No particular order--each has their specialty.

Art

Thom Sturgill
10-29-2010, 4:24 PM
Jimmy Clewes, Alan Lacer, Bill Grumbine. Clewes is the only one i've seen in person, the others are via DVDs.

George Guadiane
10-29-2010, 4:28 PM
Paul Petrie
Don Orr
Steve Sherman

David E Keller
10-29-2010, 5:19 PM
Clewes, Raffan, and Randy Privett... I don't know how much turning Randy does, but his monster tools have helped me considerably. Raffan has influences me through his books and DVDs. Clewes is perhaps the most influential because I was able to get some individual instruction from him, and I own all 11 of his DVDs.

Richard Madden
10-29-2010, 5:23 PM
Mike Mahoney
Cindy Drozda
Stuart Mortimer

Wally Dickerman
10-29-2010, 5:26 PM
Paul Petrie
Don Orr
Steve Sherman

George, that has to be the shortest post you've ever made.:D

Wally

Steve Kubien
10-29-2010, 5:33 PM
Richard Raffan because of his variety of work, shapes, projects and books/videos.
Bill Grumbine for the best bowl-turning dvd I have ever seen. Hell of a great guy to break bread with too.
Bill Neddow for his bowls. There are more of his bowls in my collection of oh-my-g*d-this-is-perfect pictures than anyone elses.

charlie knighton
10-29-2010, 5:40 PM
Terry Mitchell
Nick Cook
i seen many other rotations, all of it is mixed up and comes out at different times

Peter Hay in Aus
10-29-2010, 5:55 PM
Happens Richard Raffan is both a friend and an extremely active member of our A.C.T. Woodcraft Guild. I have never met a demonstrator like him first there last to leave and he helps set up and clean up, gets peaved when folks take 1 1/2 hr lunches etc feels he wants to give best value.

How fortunate are we. Last Wednesday he conducted a slide show of simple and not so great selling small projects to make for Xmas sales giving suggested prices for everything, quite humbling for those who feel he is out of their reach. He described how in England he lived of the returns from production turned scoops etc.

A mate at the club makes wooden cars and trailers fit for Museums IMHO and after his talk said in jest how about signing some of my work? brought the house down. Years ago he said to me he may never make a pen so horses for courses.
Regards Peter.

George Guadiane
10-29-2010, 6:08 PM
george, that has to be the shortest post you've ever made.:d

wally
~~ so?? ~~

Tony De Masi
10-29-2010, 6:32 PM
Bill Grumbine = great videos and a wonderful teacher
Richard Raffan = books and videos are great
Trent Bosch = first professional turner I saw in person and was just wowed.

Malcolm Tibbetts
10-29-2010, 7:04 PM
Bud Latven
Ray Allen
Stephen Hogbin

All for the obvious reasons.

Wally Dickerman
10-29-2010, 7:32 PM
~~ so?? ~~

So, nothing...it was a joke George.

Wally

Jerry Marcantel
10-29-2010, 8:05 PM
Hey Walley, I want to be the first smart a** to give this answer. How about Me, Myself, and I? Just kidding..... I first got interested in turning when I got my Fine Woodworking July/August 1983 edition, and the front cover had Ed Moulthrop turning a large hollow form. I got inspired, but the flame died quickly....... I purchased a lathe shortly after ward to build a table pedestal, and that's pretty much the only turning I did until I found SMC at the beginning of this year.......
As far as inspiration goes, every thing I've seen here inspires me to "git'er done". That's my lathe I'm talking about.
When it's done, I've got a lot of questions to be asking...... Jerry (in Tucson)

David Warkentin
10-29-2010, 8:16 PM
Probably Richard Raffan, Malcolm Tibbetts, and Ray Allen because of the teaching in their books. David

Tom Hamilton
10-29-2010, 8:56 PM
Bill Berry, Gulf Coast WoodturnersAssociation (Houston AAW Club). He is my Guru. I had two lessons from him in 2007 and that launched me deep into the vortex. Wonderful teacher, great man of character and fun to be with.

David Ellsworth and Richard Raffin. I don't know them personally, but I have read and re-read their books. Ellsworth on tool use and Raffin on design...hard to beat that combination.

Oh, and I must mention Ken Fitzgerald, yes, our very own KF. His introduction to the turning world by fellow members of the Creek, his enthusiasm and sharing of his experiences no doubt played a role in my peeking over the edge into the great abyss.

All the best, Tom

Curt Fuller
10-29-2010, 9:24 PM
It would be impossible for me no nail it down to just three. I would say for me there are at least two categories with three people in each category, one category being "how to turn", the other being "what to turn". For 'How to turn" it would be Clead Christiansen of The Turning Post for teaching me how to properly sharpen the tools, Joe Wagner for opening my eyes to how easy it can be to make my own specialty tools, and whoever invented the Oneway scroll chuck (Talon) for making it so much easier to hold wood on the lathe. As for "What to turn" I believe in the scripture that reads "What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun." But the versions of wood art that I've aspired to have come from the lathe's of Keith Burns for hollowforms, Mark Cothren for bowls, and Steve Schlumpf for good all around advice.

Barry Stratton
10-29-2010, 9:39 PM
A good, tough question to answer as I've been influenced by a number of folks. That said, I'll go with Mark Cothren, Keith Burns, and Travis Stinson.

Bernie Weishapl
10-29-2010, 10:10 PM
Mike Mahoney, Bill Grumbine, and Alan Lacer. Another 2 that has had a great influence on my turning is Ernie Conover and Steve Schlumpf.

Thomas Canfield
10-29-2010, 10:11 PM
Kelly Dunn, Don Albrecht, and Elmer Adams - Big Island of Hawaii and seeing their work at the show there. Lots of inspiration from their different style of turnings and their sharing with a novice was really special and encouraged me to try different shapes and techniques.

Jake Helmboldt
10-29-2010, 10:29 PM
Raffan, me, and the Collective Creeker. I've been turning for less than two years and have learned the most from those three.

Raffan because his book and video were my intro to turning and that is what I based my techniques on largely.

Me, because I just keep pushing myself to learn, expand and grow, both in form and technique.

And the Collective Creeker, because I have turned to this forum for a lot of info, advice and inspiration since jumping into this vortex. So give yourself a pat on the back!

Rich Aldrich
10-29-2010, 10:32 PM
At this point, I can think of only two.
Steve Schlumpf who helped me get started.
Bill Grumbine in his DVDs.

The third would be all of you people on this forum with all of the help and pictures of your work. Which reminds me that I need to start posting some pictures of my work.

Larry Marley
10-29-2010, 10:37 PM
Kevin Neeley, Malcolm Tibbetts, Ken Cowell - Segmenting
Alan Lacer, Dave Ellsworth, Cindy Drousda - Technique
Dave Ellsworth, Cindy Drozda, Bill Haskell - Form

Scott Hackler
10-29-2010, 10:42 PM
This is a difficult question for me because I am only 1 1/2 years or so into this and I had never seen the well known turners do anything (either in person or video). But I found this place and with that I found a LOT of talent to infuence my own turnings. I was drawn, early to the perfect shapes of Keith Burns' HFs with that unique finial, Curt Fuller's ornaments with the segmented bulbs and smooth flowing pendants and in a pretty big way .. John Keaton for making me push my own limits. As most realize, John has a great eye for forms and is a natural turner. His rapid gain in skill level made me "pick up the pace" and realize there are alot of things to be turned that arent a bowl!

There are many others that I have been influenced by or that I mimic thier styles in the pursuit of creating my own style, but you said 3 people!

That ought to swell a few heads! :)

Don Alexander
10-29-2010, 10:57 PM
Malcolm Tibbets - i stumbled across his website and gallery and got inspired to try turning
and
all of you guys here who ,post your turnings ,provide honest critiques in a positive, encouraging way , are more than willing to share your experiences,knowledge and insight with all of us who are wanting to learn as much as we can

thanks more than i can say it may be a vortex but its been a heckuva fun ride so far

Jim Sebring
10-29-2010, 11:18 PM
Raffan, Grumbine, Batty.

Matt Hutchinson
10-29-2010, 11:20 PM
Richard Raffan, Christian Burchard, and lately inspired by Pascal Oudet.

Hutch

John Beaver
10-29-2010, 11:25 PM
I have 5

Bill Luce - for his form
Mark Nantz - for his craftsmanship
Bill Haskell - for his tip on how to accomplish better form
David Ellsworth - for his technique on using a bowl gouge at a demo
Malcolm Tibbetts - for his construction techniques, his willingness to share AND encouraging the strive for perfection

And every other turner on this forum, from whom I glean a little more knowledge each time I see a piece or read a post.

George Guadiane
10-30-2010, 2:09 AM
So, nothing...it was a joke George.

Wally
:eek: Sorry Wally,
I was "being funny" back (with an even shorter post). :o

I was not offended in any way, and did not mean to offend.
G

Bill Blasic
10-30-2010, 8:20 AM
Mine would be:
Tim Reid of Erie, PA my mentor till his passing
Dale Nish whose books were the first I got (And I got to meet him this year)
The last has to be split in four to the people whose tools I use on a regular daily basis: Doug Thompson, Randy Privett, Kel McNaughton, and John Jordan.
Bill

John Keeton
10-30-2010, 9:19 AM
Can you think of three people who have influenced your turning the most?

WallyWally, this is such an interesting thread!! And, I have watched it with interest at all of the responses.

For every woodturner, there is a unique story, and yours is at the top of the list for interest! You have been exposed to so many historic greats.

The advent of instructional videos and the internet with forums and YouTube, has dramatically changed the world, and woodworking.

As a flatworker, I found SMC while doing some research on some questions I had on a project. The wealth of knowledge and experience here is really beyond comprehension.

When I was "lured" into the round world, I was gifted a Grumbine video by some creekers, and purchased several others including Raffan and Drozda.

But, the question you posed really doesn't ask "from whom did you learn", but speaks of "influence." To me, that is a much deeper, and more compelling, word - one that speaks of altering one's viewpoint rather than simply instructional.

So, given the question, while I initially gained much from the videos, the most compelling forces in my woodturning have been here on the creek, and number far more than three. But, to narrow it down, it would have to be the following:

Steve Schlumpf, for constantly encouraging me, tirelessly responding to my questions, critiquing my work, and generally being a good friend.

Keith Burns, whose work I have studied (and copied!:o) for form and detail, and who has been willing to offer assistance and comment to me at various times. Keith has such a natural ability to combine woods, forms, and elements.

Leo Van Der Loo, for exhibiting the true love of woodturning, always with a spark of excitement. While the type of woodturning I enjoy is evolving, and rarely includes the type of work Leo does, his enthusiasm is infectious and has been a true inspiration for me. And, he is a true gentleman.

And, while it goes beyond the three, Wally, I would have to include you for the rich and colorful history, and for the tremendous variety of turnings you have done over the decades. I have studied your work and you have perfected form in so many different styles. You are a treasure to the world of woodturning.

Jeff Luedloff
10-30-2010, 9:20 AM
Mike Mahoney, Richard Raffan, Ray Key.

Joe Herrmann
10-30-2010, 9:44 AM
Dale Nish, Mike Mahoney, Stuart Batty, and Richard Raffan

Jack Mincey
10-30-2010, 9:52 AM
I've stumbled around for many years learning a little on my own, but I would have to say my High School Shop teacher Jack Galloway is the person that introduced me to the round world back in the late 70's, would be the first influence I received in turning. He is also the reason I became a shop teacher so his influence was very important any other area's as well. My turning ability jumped exponentially around 5 years ago when the local turning club approached me about holding their meeting in my shop. The two that helped me get started into turning seriously would be two of the club members Sam Summers and Leroy Hartley. As far as Pro turners, John Jordan helped me out on HF's by seeing a day long presentation of his at our local club. Since that day I've been hollowing much easier. I still feel like a sponge when I get around other turners, there is so much to learn from all the talented turners so I am always eager to meet and see them in action. Video's are a great help, but I still learn so much more by seeing them in person.
Jack

Mike Hollingsworth
10-30-2010, 10:40 AM
Ike
Tina
Ted
:cool:

Michael James
10-30-2010, 10:49 AM
Ike
Tina
Ted
:cool:

It was only a matter of time...............:rolleyes:

Ron Bontz
10-30-2010, 11:34 AM
I know so little, everybody influences me.:o

Nathan Hawkes
10-30-2010, 11:38 AM
Well, its hard to get it down to three! I'd have to say firstly, a local professional turner that has become a mentor to me, Fred Williamson. Second on the list, Alan Lacer, because he got me to love the skew. Next is a tossup between Richard Raffan and David Ellsworth, because I've taken a lot of tips from both their books. There are a lot more out there, those are just the ones that I've taken a lot from. Ask me again in ten years and they might be different. I think its important to see as many professional turners as you can. Everyone turns a little differently; you never know what you might learn!

Josh Bowman
10-30-2010, 12:14 PM
I don't want to sound corny, but the Moderators and the members on SMC have help and inspired me greatly. I've watched all the video and read all I could. Inspiration.....maybe. But seeing the work of folks here is more inspiring. Also the encougement and critiques are very useful to growth.

David DeCristoforo
10-30-2010, 12:35 PM
Being something of a recent convert, I would be hard pressed to limit this to only three. The obvious names come to mind... Raffan, Ellsworth, Drozda, Bonnie Klein, Grumbine and all the rest. But I have been looking at the work of many turners both "well known" and obscure. Many years ago, I realized that the opportunity to learn from others is not limited to those who are the most well known or the most accomplished. If one keeps an open mind, one can learn something from anyone. Many times I have been taken by surprise, picking up something useful and sometimes even brilliant, from the most unlikely sources. So to name only three? I don't think so...

Wally Dickerman
10-30-2010, 1:09 PM
Wally, this is such an interesting thread!! And, I have watched it with interest at all of the responses.

For every woodturner, there is a unique story, and yours is at the top of the list for interest! You have been exposed to so many historic greats.

The advent of instructional videos and the internet with forums and YouTube, has dramatically changed the world, and woodworking.

As a flatworker, I found SMC while doing some research on some questions I had on a project. The wealth of knowledge and experience here is really beyond comprehension.

When I was "lured" into the round world, I was gifted a Grumbine video by some creekers, and purchased several others including Raffan and Drozda.

But, the question you posed really doesn't ask "from whom did you learn", but speaks of "influence." To me, that is a much deeper, and more compelling, word - one that speaks of altering one's viewpoint rather than simply instructional.

So, given the question, while I initially gained much from the videos, the most compelling forces in my woodturning have been here on the creek, and number far more than three. But, to narrow it down, it would have to be the following:

Steve Schlumpf, for constantly encouraging me, tirelessly responding to my questions, critiquing my work, and generally being a good friend.

Keith Burns, whose work I have studied (and copied!:o) for form and detail, and who has been willing to offer assistance and comment to me at various times. Keith has such a natural ability to combine woods, forms, and elements.

Leo Van Der Loo, for exhibiting the true love of woodturning, always with a spark of excitement. While the type of woodturning I enjoy is evolving, and rarely includes the type of work Leo does, his enthusiasm is infectious and has been a true inspiration for me. And, he is a true gentleman.

And, while it goes beyond the three, Wally, I would have to include you for the rich and colorful history, and for the tremendous variety of turnings you have done over the decades. I have studied your work and you have perfected form in so many different styles. You are a treasure to the world of woodturning.

Thanks John, for all of those kind words. You're right, being influenced by another turner isn't the same as receiving instructions from them. I was influenced by David Ellsworth's hollowforms but it wasn't until years later that I had the opportunity to actually meet and talk with David.

I was a bit disappointed at some of the answers to my post. So many just listed 3 DVD's or books or 3 names and nothing else. Everyone has a story about being influenced by another turner, who they perhaps haven't even met. Just attending the instant gallery at the AAW symposium and examining the many wonderful pieces there should offer some influence to most of us.

Wally

Steve Vaughan
10-30-2010, 1:41 PM
I gotta agree with Josh earlier. And there's no way I could give you three. I've not watched and read the works of those really talented folks, but I have to say that from my perspective, it is all of you! Every last one of you, cause ya'll are awesome and the stuff you do just causes all sorts of creative overload! Thank you! And, thank you! And, thank you!

Reed Gray
10-30-2010, 1:44 PM
Too many to count, asin I am the sum of all who have gone before me. Del Stubbs (first video), Mike Mahoney, Allen and Stuart Batty, Ernie Conover, Several local club members Richard Worthy, Larry Karlin, Don Sneethen (sorry if I spelled it wrong Don) Dale Larson, Nick Stagg, Robin Cook (the spring pole lathe guy), Bonnie Klein, Andi Wolfe, Wally, etc. Sorry about others I have left out, but the memory is the second thing that goes as you start getting old.

robo hippy

Dennis Peacock
10-30-2010, 1:45 PM
Besides Bill Grumbine in my early days of influence to:

Travis Stinson - shape, overall form, & finish

Keith Burns - hollow forms, miniature bowl, and how to turn on a lather other than a Mustard Machine ;)

Mark Cothren - Natural Edge Bowls, the foot of a bowl, and finish. I also hold Mark in high honors because I taught him how to turn, his skill and eye for turning far surpassed the teacher's and that he has at least one bowl that is owned by the late Sam Maloof.

Alan Trout
10-30-2010, 1:46 PM
For inspiration and influence I look to the classic forms of antiquity. I love going to one of our local museums of art and look at the classic Egyptian, Greek, and Asian vessels, as well as from our Native American cultures. These cultures had to produce things that included form, function, and beauty all rolled into one. It is amazing how the beauty of many of these items have withstood the test of time.

Technique wise I love watching all of the pro's and I can learn something from every one of them. I try to work many of their techniques into my own personal style. I also learn stuff every day from just the average Joe turner. I think everyone has knowledge to offer no matter their particular skill level. You are never to old to learn.

Alan

Ken Fitzgerald
10-30-2010, 1:52 PM
Wally,

The big 3 or 4 or 6 and their products are what is most readily and conveniently available to most of us.

With the advent of the internet, we can get ideas and encouragement while in the comfort of our own homes and at our leisure, not someone elses convenience.

Most of the folks who frequent this and other forums have full time jobs, families to raise etc. and turning is a recreational, hobby acitivity. While I'm sure in person lessons are more effective, having a video available or a book that you can read in your leisure is a lot less expensive and more convenient.

I can view the photos of the turning projects of turners here and at other websites for inspiration and ideas.

I am not surprised by the names of the folks being listed and completely understand it.

Cathy Schaewe
10-30-2010, 4:06 PM
I have been turning for such a short time (since Feb) that I know the answer to this will change and evolve as I go on, as it has numerous times already. However, I think the question is interesting because it caused me to focus on what, for me, has been the most difficult part of turning, and thus the aspect most in need of inspiration (that being how I interpreted the question).

I have never considered myself to have even an ounce of artistic talent, so trying to learn and develop that sense has been like trying to grow a second hand on the end of my arm just by concentrating. Learning tool use and other techniques such as sanding and finishing has been a breeze by comparison (not that I am learned in those areas, just that I don't find them to be frustrating, but more of an enjoyable challenge).

Accordingly, because I now constantly think about shapes and designs (and dream about them at night, which is just crazy!:o), I have found the following to be my sources of inspiration at this date (wait till next week!:eek:):

Raffan, because I have read, re-read, studied and re-studied, his book "the art of turned bowls." The form as a concept is a fascinating subject, and he writes about it with such ease and clarity, and then illustrates just what he means ....

Bill Neddow, lately. His bowls and ceremonial series are fascinating to me, because they encompass such a range of what I consider beautiful objects and forms. I'm sure most people don't dream about bowls, but I dream about his, literally!

and,
John Keeton, because (although my hat is a beanie with a propeller on it rather than being a sophisticated artists' beret like his) he has inspired, helped and personally encouraged me, particularly when I have been very frustrated with this swirl down into the depths of the vortex, and his work has been a goal to stretch towards and aspire to.

Probably more of an answer than anybody cares to read, but I found it interesting to contemplate ...

Wally Dickerman
10-30-2010, 5:48 PM
Good answer Cathy. (Dreaming of turned forms? Boy, you are hooked) If you belong to WoW, and you should, check through some of the albums of turners who's work you admire. Some of the albums have hundreds of photos. I have over a hundred pieces in mine.

Wally

victor trabulsi
10-30-2010, 5:54 PM
my three are-Rude Osolnik, Richard Raffan and Fred Holder

Roger Chandler
10-30-2010, 6:59 PM
Mine are [believe it or not] Norm Abrams [new yankee workshop] not because he is a great turner, but because watching him turn table legs made me want to get a lathe in the first place, and got me started turning.........

Second, Richard Raffin, he showed technique and projects that made me understand that I could do this.........

Third, this happened to me when I found SMC, and saw some of the postings of things at the time I thought were incredible.....

.....of all the many wonderful things, the person that inspired me the most of all was John Keeton, because he had been turning for such a short time, and was achieving things I thought were so advanced that it would take me years to even come close to doing, if then...........but I have found out that if I ask enough questions and research, that I can do most anything I set my mind to do, if I have the right tools and technique.

Many others such as Steve Schlumpf have been an inspiration and helped me with the "how to's" and I am grateful for every single person who helped along the way.........

Don Orr
10-30-2010, 7:06 PM
Man, what a tough question. I have been helped and influenced by so many people.

The people who taught me the most in the beginning are Ken Evans, Paul Petrie and Stan Rosenberg (RIP). Since then I have been influenced by every turner I have seen in person and on the Internet. They are all so generous and giving of their skills and techniques. It impossible to narrow it down.

You, Wally have been one of my favorites since I started hanging out on the 'Net. And Terry Daniels is one also.

And thanks George!

Willie Wax
10-30-2010, 7:38 PM
The first person to influence me as a turner was my Grandfather. When I was young he showed me a goblet that he had turned in high school. When he was explaining how it was done I could visualize it clearly. I thought that was the finest thing since sliced white bread.

The second person is a turner by the name of Tom Dunne. I was sitting in my doctor's office when I started flipping through a 3 year old magazine. There was an article about Tom and his turnings. I noted that he gave lessons and his phone number was included. Well, this was not altogether to long after Katrina and I though, "What the H..., I'll give it a shot". I called and after we spoke I had a lesson set up. I went home after the lesson with my first bowl and told my lovely partner that I had found what I was going to to do in retirement.

The third person probably is Jimmy Clewes, he demonstrated at our club and opened a whole new aspect to woodturning for me. But I would be remiss if I did not include all of the members of our club (Bayou Woodturners)for the guidance and direction and critique. It has been a pleasant surprise that every woodturner I have met, talked to or corresponded with has been a gracious helping hand.

Jim Meyer
10-30-2010, 8:10 PM
Bill Grumbine, Jimmy Clewes, Keith Rowley. As a beginner, Keith Rowlely's book was very detailed and easy to understand. Bill's and Jimmy's vidios showed in detail how to hold the tool, why it cuts better that way, etc. Most other vidios showed how to turn an item. Jim

charlie knighton
10-30-2010, 10:08 PM
the instant gallery

i agree with you Wally that the instant galleries of both regional and national symposium are some of the best instuction.

Steve Schlumpf
10-30-2010, 11:59 PM
Had to sit back and do some thinking as there have been many folks that could fit in that category.

I had been turning for 2 years before I joined the Creek and that was the first time I found out some folks could turn things that actually looked nice when they were finished!

First person who influenced me was Travis Stinson! I learned 3 things from his turnings and that was my initial sense of form, the understanding that voids were something that can be used to enhance the finished piece and Travis was the first person I ever saw who could create a glass-like finish! Amazing talent and I miss him here on the Creek!

Thank You Travis!

Check out some of his work:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=46725
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=51683
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=50870
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=52204
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=55554

Second person who influenced me, and the one person I have considered my mentor, is Keith Burns. Many of you here are familiar with Keith's work but many of you are probably not aware of the number of times Keith reaches out to other turners and offers a helping hand through private critiques, suggestions and support.

Keith sent me an email one day a few years ago - first one I had ever gotten from him - and he let me know that he really liked what I was doing with my turning and just wanted to let me know. (I printed out a copy of that email and still have it today! I use it as a reminder to reach out to others!) It couldn't have come at a better time! I was so frustrated with turning that I was considering just giving it up. I was having a heck of a time trying to understand forms, continuous curves, well, just the basics. I'm just stubborn enough that I didn't quit and with Keith's assistance managed to work through many of my design problems and start having fun again!

So, with Keith I learned how to turn forms that are pleasing to the eye and to push myself when I can imagine better! I also learned that it is just as important to reach out to others because you just never know - it could make a difference!

Thank You Keith!

Here are a few threads with Keith's work:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=145440
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=145793
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=138820
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=137914
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=129409

My 3rd influential person is a guy from our turning club - Bill Wiard. Bill is one of those guys that can take a fence post with barbed wire running through it and turn it into a vase! I am not kidding - he did it! He turns beautiful works of art out of stuff you would normally never even consider! The one main thing that Bill has taught me is to use your imagination and step outside of what is considered 'the norm' and try new things!

Thanks Bill!

Here is a thread about an art show Bill and I were in last year. Scroll down to the bottom of the 1st post and you will see Bill's turning - a large vase from a tree trunk!
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=124686

So, in summary, Travis for the basics of form, uses of natural voids and his glass like finish! Keith for helping me develop a sense of form, the confidence to create what I envision and the understanding that everyone wins when you reach out to others! Bill for his love of teaching, his ever-amazing examples of imagination and his ability to inspire others.

While there are many others who influence me, these three immediately came to mind as they have all made a huge difference in me and my turnings!

Wally Dickerman
10-31-2010, 3:47 PM
Thanks everyone for participating. Some interesting statements. A few good stories. I was a bit disappointed in some that just listed 3 names ore 3 DVD's and nothing else. Surely there is more to it than that.

Those who are new to turning during the past few years may not realize how fortunate they are to have so much great instruction available. Websites such as SMC, DVD's, lots of symposiums with demo's by some of the best turners in the world to attend, and thanks to the AAW, woodturning clubs all over the country. In a way I'm not sure that's all good. I'm not criticizing anyone, but some newbies get on the web with many questions about every new step they take in their turning. Sometimes figuring things out for yourself isn't a bad thing. Those of us who are the "old timers" can remember when we were pretty much on our own. There were, of course, none of the above. There were very few books and those that were available were on spindle turning. We often had to make our own tools, especially if we wanted to turn bowls and hollowforms.

Ah well, such is progress. And that's good.

Wally

Duff Bement
11-01-2010, 8:09 AM
#1 - robo hippy, I was lent his video from a turner I had never met. It introduce me to bowl coring.

#2 - Mel Turcanic, Our local club president. He lied to me every time I showed him my early projects and he told me how good they were and then incouraged me to keep going.

#3 - Jimmey Clews, his videos, sense of humor end his eye for design. Plus I get to see him in Spokane Wa. on the 12th of novemeber.

John Shuk
11-01-2010, 8:26 AM
Paul Petrie
Don Orr
Steve Sherman

Three guys who never stop raising the bar and share what they learn as they go.
Good call George.

Dale Bright
11-01-2010, 8:50 AM
I have been reading this thread for a couple of days, trying to think of the top 3. I have decided to list the top 3 but include others that are so close that there is very little difference in how much they influenced what I do in my turning.

Richard Raffan
Stuart Batty
John Jordan

Mike Mahoney
Bill Grumbine
Del Stubbs
Reed Gray
Keith Rowley
Don Maloney local turner, mentor and friend
Tom Boley local turner, mentor and friend
Steve Schlumpf, Sawmill Creek
Travis Stinson, Sawmill Creek
Wally Dickerman, Sawmill Creek
Keith Burns, Sawmill Creek

Grant Wilkinson
11-01-2010, 10:19 AM
My first turnings were pens, not all that long ago. So, my first influence were the penturners who broke out of the kit pen mould and designed and turned one of a kinds. A brit, nicknamed Skiprat got me thinking about doing things differently than most.

When I "graduate" to bowls, I bought the Grumbine videos. Since then, I've taken two two-days sessions with Bill. He is a great teacher, a fun guy and a true influence.

Lastly, would be two local turners. I know the OP said 3, but 3 in the US is 4 up here in Canada. My first turning ever was with a guy named Bart Poulter at a LV afternoon session. He got me hooked with his enthusiasm. Since then, I've met Lionel Bedard. He loves wood and what is inside it. He makes me think.

Cathy Schaewe
11-01-2010, 10:22 AM
3 in the US is 4 up here in Canada.

And here I thought the exchange rate was just about 1 to 1... :D

Kim Ford
11-01-2010, 10:54 AM
1) Richard Raffan: because he introduced me to the bowl gouge back in 1992 and took the scraper out of my hands changing the way I turned.

2) David Ellsworth; because he was at the fore front of the "long fingernail grind" and the grinding jig.

3) All the members of this forum. One can gleam a couple of life times of experience just by reading this forum and growing from everyones input.

Mike Ramsey
11-01-2010, 1:14 PM
1. "Sir" Richard Raffan, I'm sure he's been Knighted by now...
2. Stuart Batty, he's changed the way I turn for the better.
3. Did i say Stuart Batty.

Mike Svoma
11-01-2010, 1:26 PM
For me that one person that has influenced me the most has been Jeff Nicol. The best thing about Jeff is that he is only a few miles away and always willing to help with anything and give advice. Oh yea......he is also my wood pusher/dealer.

Two more would be Jimmy Clewes and Mike Mahoney.

Baxter Smith
11-01-2010, 5:33 PM
Bill Grumbine or at least his DVD on Turned Bowls Made Easy.
Leo Vanderloo whose experience, advice, and posts on turning bowls have been invaluable and shown the almost endless possibilities.
Steve Schlumpf for his constant support with everything from hollowforms to steadyrests and vaccum chucks.

Nate Davey
11-06-2010, 3:12 PM
1. My dad who got me started. I'm not sure if I should thank him or....
2. Bob Hamilton who took the considerable amount of time and effort to post videos of his complete projects on YouTube. With out them I wouldn't know half of what was possible on a lathe. It was nice to watch a video start to finish and then go out to the garage and try it.
3. and now the for the cop out answer, all the luminaries on this a other sites who posted tutorials and in progress pictures to help neophytes such as myself learn how to do that special piece.

Christopher K. Hartley
11-06-2010, 4:03 PM
After a lot of thought I would have to say:

Ray Key - his book was my bible when I first started back.
Andy Hoyt - His works and wit inspired me even when I wanter to throw my gouge through the wall.
Steve Russell - His professional approach and attention to detail really made me dig deeper and desire more.

I can not leave out the Creek as it has played such an important role in helping me all the way through and still does.:)