PDA

View Full Version : Angel of the waters

George Beck
10-29-2010, 2:53 PM
Hi everyone

I am looking for a good art work of a particular angel. It is a striding angel and looks like the :angel of the waters" statue in Central Park NY. If anyone has anything like that I would appreciate it.

George

Frank Corker
10-29-2010, 6:15 PM
George, don't know if this is help or a hinderance but I took a photo of the statue, removed the background and ran it through Akvis sketch, came out half decent. Would have helped if you had given us more on what you want to put it on.

Bill Cunningham
10-30-2010, 9:12 PM
George, don't know if this is help or a hinderance but I took a photo of the statue, removed the background and ran it through Akvis sketch, came out half decent. Would have helped if you had given us more on what you want to put it on.

Wow!! That's dedication Frank. You flew all the way to NewYork, fended off all the muggers in Central Park, took a picture of the statue, and re-worked it for a Creeker.. All in less than 24 hours.. Now I'm impressed..Nice Job too :D:D

Robert Walters
10-31-2010, 5:12 AM

Nice Work!

BTW...
There's no need to compress JPG of GIF images. They rarely if ever reduce in any significant size and GIF already has compression built into the format.

You CAN compress vector images and they will reduce significantly.

Belinda Barfield
10-31-2010, 9:04 AM
Wow!! That's dedication Frank. You flew all the way to NewYork, fended off all the muggers in Central Park, took a picture of the statue, and re-worked it for a Creeker.. All in less than 24 hours.. Now I'm impressed..Nice Job too :D:D

That's why we love him!

Frank Corker
10-31-2010, 10:01 AM
Nice Work!

BTW...
There's no need to compress JPG of GIF images. They rarely if ever reduce in any significant size and GIF already has compression built into the format.

You CAN compress vector images and they will reduce significantly.

Thanks Robert I was aware of that, I just couldn't remember how close I was to the maximum size of the upload when I'd finished it so I thought I'd grab what I could.

Frank Corker
10-31-2010, 10:15 AM
Actually where I live, the Wirral, we have an area called Birkenhead. It was once one of the biggest shipbuilding areas in the world, The Mauretania, HMS Ark Royal (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Mersey-built_ships). As a result we had many wealthy people living here with links to the big companies.

We have a big public park 'Birkenhead Park' (I know...great imagination on the name) was built in 1850 and an American landscape architect named Frederick Law Olmstead used a lot of the features when he designed New York's Central Park - he wrote of it in his book Walks and Talks of an American Farmer in England

"five minutes of admiration, and a few more spent studying the manner in which art had been employed to obtain from nature so much beauty, and I was ready to admit that in democratic America there was nothing to be thought of as comparable with this People’s Garden"

I understand that anyone who has a knowledge of Birkenhead Park, has no difficulty in navigating himself around Central Park.

How's about that!

George Beck
11-01-2010, 7:00 AM
Thanks alot Frank! I will see what my customer wants to do. I appreciate the help.

Frank Corker
11-01-2010, 8:22 PM
George if he wants something different you can always PM me and I will see what I can find for you. If not draw.

George Beck
11-11-2010, 8:58 AM
I wanted to get back and Thank Frank publicly for his help with the angel graphic. I had to darken some lines but I think it worked out well. I selected a piece of cherry with a bit of a wild grain and some curl. I placed the angel in a spot where the grain swirls and the grain lines match the shape of the left wing. I think this combined with the translucent appearance of the angel creates the effect of the angel appearing and the grain disturbance caused by the striding of the angel as if appearing out of a mist. Anyway here is the almost finished result. Thanks again for the help.

George

Mike Christen
11-11-2010, 9:27 AM
Turned out very nice George, Frank does nice work and so do you