PDA

View Full Version : Birthday Gift

Frank Corker
10-29-2010, 12:58 PM
So a friend wanted me to draw some picture portraits of his children and he wanted them putting in something special to present to his wife. I finished the portraits A4 size (11.5" x 8.5") which I then went out and bought picture frames for. I then made this box to house them all in with one picture engraved on the outer side. I used woodfloor laminate to make the box and then glued felt to the top and bottom of the insides (oh yeah and engraved my logo on the one in the top). I allowed for only 1 mm clearance on all the sides so when the top slides onto the bottom is glides down without pushing it. Turned out pretty good so I thought I'd share these pictures with you.

Frank Corker
10-29-2010, 1:00 PM
....and the final pics

Michael Hunter
10-29-2010, 1:17 PM
Quite handy with the pencil as well as being a whiz with the laser!
Very nice indeed.

Scott Shepherd
10-29-2010, 1:20 PM
Really beautiful work Frank! Thanks for sharing.

Dee Gallo
10-29-2010, 1:36 PM
You've still got the magic touch, Frank, beautiful work!

:) dee

Bob Heltibridle
10-29-2010, 2:08 PM
Frank I would like to shank your hand, with the hope that some of that talent might rub off. As always Great Job!!

Anthony Welch
10-29-2010, 2:45 PM
Wonderful work Frank.

Anthony

Bruce Volden
10-29-2010, 5:01 PM
Frank I would like to shank your hand, with the hope that some of that talent might rub off. As always Great Job!!

Bob, please don't do this as Frank is a great contributor here at the creek :D

Bruce

Tim Bateson
10-29-2010, 5:03 PM
You're in a class of your own Frank. How did you do the portraits?

Gordon Kircher
10-29-2010, 5:09 PM
Beautiful work.....and a great idea! Thank you for sharing.

G

Greg Bednar
10-29-2010, 7:09 PM
Once again, Frank, you've outdone yourself.

Mike Null
10-30-2010, 7:14 AM
Frank

Good stuff!

How did you do the portraits?

Frank Corker
10-30-2010, 7:45 AM
Thanks. Portraits are drawn from photographs using the wacom finding these days that lasering is so quiet. I post some of my stuff on my Facebook page if anyone wanted to have a look. I know you people in the States have been having a tough time with the economy, here unless you have a niche market or clientelle, getting incoming work is harder than ever. Everybody likes, but nobody buys, so you have to make adjustments and move with the flow.

Andrea Weissenseel
10-30-2010, 8:32 AM
Frank, they are so beautiful and really look elegant - just perfect ! :D

Andrea

Mary Geitz
10-30-2010, 5:12 PM
Absolutely incredible work!

Bill Cunningham
10-30-2010, 10:09 PM
Jeeeeze Frank, I have always envied those who can draw like that, AND Play the Piano.. I suppose you do that too!!

Jiten Patel
11-01-2010, 5:32 AM
Frank,

That is incredible. Drawing skills to be jealous of.

And Bill, I can play the piano....23 years now....I guess "Britain's Got Talent" hey! :cool:

Stuart Orrell
11-01-2010, 6:14 AM
Very nice work Frank!

Michael Kowalczyk
11-01-2010, 2:21 PM
....and the final pics
Hey Frank,
Beautiful work both manual and electronic. What box program are you using for these and what thickness of material did you use? What are the dimensions of the box and how long did it take to cut out?

Frank Corker
11-01-2010, 8:34 PM
Mike it's 6.65mm wood floor laminate. Didn't actually record how long it was taking but I erred on the side of slow to avoid having to make two passes so I cut it at 3 speed 100 power and 500 frequency, it actually wasn't very long though. The box program I used was called BoxMaker which uses java script. It has been posted here on several occasions. Works fine. Things that will always catch you out though are simple, adding the width of the material onto your width height and depth of the box you want to make and the cut width of the beam. However get it right (as I did) the joins are spot on and there is a 1mm gap to allow the air to rush out on the lid.

Dave West
11-01-2010, 10:35 PM
Really nice work Frank.

Dave

Terry Swift
11-02-2010, 11:21 AM
Michael - there is also a product called BoxIt. It too is a java script that runs in CorelDraw. I've looked at it on their website; but it is like LaserBuzz and other products - if it works for you great; but in DFW; I can't see the investment for it for it right now.

www.laserjumpstart.com

Michael Kowalczyk
11-02-2010, 2:07 PM
Michael - there is also a product called BoxIt. It too is a java script that runs in CorelDraw. I've looked at it on their website; but it is like LaserBuzz and other products - if it works for you great; but in DFW; I can't see the investment for it for it right now.

www.laserjumpstart.com

Hey Terry,
Ya I looked at that one a while ago and made the same comment. 2 much $$$ to justify. I have the one Frank used but never actually used it yet but will dust it off and try it out.

Michael Kowalczyk
11-02-2010, 2:14 PM
Mike it's 6.65mm wood floor laminate. Didn't actually record how long it was taking but I erred on the side of slow to avoid having to make two passes so I cut it at 3 speed 100 power and 500 frequency, it actually wasn't very long though. The box program I used was called BoxMaker which uses java script. It has been posted here on several occasions. Works fine. Things that will always catch you out though are simple, adding the width of the material onto your width height and depth of the box you want to make and the cut width of the beam. However get it right (as I did) the joins are spot on and there is a 1mm gap to allow the air to rush out on the lid.

Hey Frank,
Thanks for the info and pointers. I want to try it with 3mm or do you think it will it be too thin?

Do you open and close the lid just to get a rush...................................

of air that is?:D

Frank Corker
11-02-2010, 4:23 PM
No it will make it in that. It's much about how you put it together. Get the joints right and it will be fine.