PDA

View Full Version : small tool gloat

Roger Chandler
10-29-2010, 12:52 PM
Last week at the Virginia symposium I was able to pick up 3 Thompson gouges, and I finally got to make some handles today. They are from top to bottom 3/4" u flute bowl gouge, 3/8" detail gouge and a 1/4" detail gouge.

The pics are not good quality, but I don't have a photo setup yet, and .......well they just leave a lot to be desired....:o......but the gouges, they are top notch! :D:D;)

Bill Bolen
10-29-2010, 1:08 PM
Whoa Roger! That 3/4" bowl gouge looks as if it could turn a 6' bowl with no problems. Congrats on the new tools...Bill...

Roger Chandler
10-29-2010, 1:12 PM
Whoa Roger! That 3/4" bowl gouge looks as if it could turn a 6' bowl with no problems. Congrats on the new tools...Bill...

Yeah William, I got that 3/4" to be a beefy, hog it out, kind of bowl gouge. I have never used a U-flute gouge before, but it should make plowing out the inside of a bowl a pretty fast process........at least I hope so!

Jim Burr
10-29-2010, 2:20 PM
Sweet!!:cool::cool:

John Keeton
10-29-2010, 2:41 PM
MORE POWER!!! That gouge is a HOSS!! Better watch out, you could go from a 12" blank to a toothpick pretty quickly with that.

Nice work on the handles, Roger.

charlie knighton
10-29-2010, 2:42 PM
i know you are happy with them :D enjoy

Roger Chandler
10-29-2010, 3:06 PM
MORE POWER!!! That gouge is a HOSS!! Better watch out, you could go from a 12" blank to a toothpick pretty quickly with that.

Nice work on the handles, Roger.

John,

That 3/4" gouge is 26-3/4 inches from tip to end of handle. That should give me enough leverage and heft to pretty much soak up the stress of hogging out the middle of bowl.

I have about 4 or 5 projects kinda hangin' in the wings, just waiting for me to get to the gettin' like they say around here. One of which is that purple heart/yellow heart lidded winged bowl shape I discussed with you a few weeks ago. I also still have to make the bookcases for Mrs. C, and her patience is wearing thin, just a bit........:eek::D

My biggest problem is Muzzleloader season opens tomorrow, and then gun season.......and ..........well, you know........:D;)

Roger Chandler
10-29-2010, 3:10 PM
i know you are happy with them :D enjoy

Charlie,

Did you pick up a new tool at the symposium?

charlie knighton
10-29-2010, 5:51 PM
Roger,

i did not buy any tools, but did buy Alan Lacer's dvd , Shopmade Tools and Jigs

i have made one tool, still needs sharpning, hope to do that tomorrow, i have a larger diameter tool sort of done, not happy with that one,

i have to learn how to use it, Alan made it look so easy when he did the end grain box, i am sure there is a learning curve, it great being a woodturner, there is always new things to try

Roger Chandler
10-29-2010, 5:56 PM
Roger,

i did not buy any tools, but did buy Alan Lacer's dvd , Shopmade Tools and Jigs

i have made one tool, still needs sharpning, hope to do that tomorrow, i have a larger diameter tool sort of done, not happy with that one,

i have to learn how to use it, Alan made it look so easy when he did the end grain box, i am sure there is a learning curve, it great being a woodturner, there is always new things to try

Great Charlie,

I guess I need to explore that side of things [making my own tools] I have such a small shop, and so many machines, etc, that I barely have room to turn around it seems, so I have not done much fabrication of my own tools.

That hook tool will do great, but after seeing Alan Lacer, I think the challenge is to get and keep a sharp edge on it, but I'm sure you will find a way! Thanks for sharing this..........really neat! :);) I purchased Alan's skew DVD [The dark side, the Sweet side] and it is good.

Dale Miner
10-29-2010, 9:57 PM
A 3/4" Thompson U-flute is my go to gouge for roughing. I have it ground with a fairly long fingernail, and I think it is about 32" tip to handle end.

My 2 hp 3520b does ok, but could stand more oomph on larger diameter blanks. There is enough flute in that gouge to stall a 3 hp lathe with larger blanks. Most larger blanks get cored though.

It takes about 5 minutes (or less) to rough the inside of a 12" dia x 5" deep bowl.

The longer fingernail grind allows for heavier cuts on the outside of pieces, but a fingernail on a V flute would actually work better when doing pull cuts on the outside in my way of thinking. I think a U flute does a better job on the outside for push cuts.

I do most of the second turning work with 5/8" and 1/2" U flutes with a double bevel fingernail. The U flute leaves a somewhat better cut on the inside that a V flute (in my opinion).

I figure at the rate the gouge is getting used up, in about 10 years or so it will need replaced. The replacement will probably be a Thompson 3/4" V flute. Hope Doug is still making tools then. Maybe laying one for when that time comes is a good idea.

Bernie Weishapl
10-29-2010, 10:09 PM
You will love them Roger. I know I love mine and are my go to tools.

Roger Chandler
10-29-2010, 10:26 PM
A 3/4" Thompson U-flute is my go to gouge for roughing. I have it ground with a fairly long fingernail, and I think it is about 32" tip to handle end.

My 2 hp 3520b does ok, but could stand more oomph on larger diameter blanks. There is enough flute in that gouge to stall a 3 hp lathe with larger blanks. Most larger blanks get cored though.

It takes about 5 minutes (or less) to rough the inside of a 12" dia x 5" deep bowl.

The longer fingernail grind allows for heavier cuts on the outside of pieces, but a fingernail on a V flute would actually work better when doing pull cuts on the outside in my way of thinking. I think a U flute does a better job on the outside for push cuts.

I do most of the second turning work with 5/8" and 1/2" U flutes with a double bevel fingernail. The U flute leaves a somewhat better cut on the inside that a V flute (in my opinion).

I figure at the rate the gouge is getting used up, in about 10 years or so it will need replaced. The replacement will probably be a Thompson 3/4" V flute. Hope Doug is still making tools then. Maybe laying one for when that time comes is a good idea.

Good info Dale, .................I appreciate it!

Bill Blasic
10-30-2010, 8:28 AM
Roger,
That 1/4" detail gouge is my go to tool for finials and icicles. Tool control is just so easy with that tool.
Bill

Nathan Hawkes
10-30-2010, 11:23 AM
Nice handles, Roger! I need another Thompson soon!! Out to the shop now to work on using up the last of the flute so I can order a new one!

Roger Chandler
10-30-2010, 3:21 PM
Roger,
That 1/4" detail gouge is my go to tool for finials and icicles. Tool control is just so easy with that tool.
Bill

Bill,

that is why I bought it as well. I hope to make some finials and pedestals, and after seeing such fine work here, I realized I did not have the tools to reach the excellence I see on this forum.

While I hope getting to the point is a short learning curve, I hope to accelerate the process with this tool. :)