PDA

View Full Version : Best dust mask that won't fog up my glasses

dennis thompson
10-29-2010, 10:50 AM
I'm looking for a dust mask the won't fog up my glasses, does anyone have any suggestions. I'm not looking for a respirator, just something for sawdust.
Thanks
Dennis

Ken Fitzgerald
10-29-2010, 10:54 AM
Dennis,

When turning and especially when sanding I wear a Trend Airshield. It has two benefits. 1) It filters a tremendous amount of dust. 2) The air flow prevents my glasses from fogging up and sweat from appearing on my forehead in the summer heat. This is especially important if I am turning during our hot summer months here.

Callan Campbell
10-29-2010, 11:24 AM
If you don't want the really neat device mentioned by Ken and just want the simple dustmasks, I've had decent luck with some of the N95 type dust masks that have an exhaust valve built into the lower part of the mask. You may need to try several brands as I've discovered that they don't all put this type of valve in the exact same place, which leads to a difference in " anti-fogging" performance. Don't have my box of masks in front of me so I can't remember if they're 3M or A.O Safety. Anyway, try single mask from each brand before you buy them in bulk boxes to get the right mask for you.

brian wight
10-29-2010, 1:16 PM
Take a piece of tape and place it on the dust mask and partially on your skin over the bridge of your nose. The tape prevents exhaled air from passing by your glasses and prevents the fogging.

This is a tip I picked up from surgeons during my surgery rotation (I'm a medical student). Usually we had masks that had a piece of plastic that went between the mask and bridge of your nose that worked effectively.

Rick Bunt
10-29-2010, 1:25 PM
I know you said you didn't want a respirator, but I can't help mentioning the 3M 7500 series. It is very light and comfortable, imho. I wear it with the P100 (pink) filters and my glasses NEVER fog up. I don't find it that much heavier or inconvenient than the decent paper masks with vents. I wash it out with warm water when it gets dirty (and shop vac the filters), so it's cheaper for me in the long run than buying disposable masks. Plus I can add the other filters for work with finishes, etc. when I want to. The woodwhisper has a pod cast (#87 Dust in Time) about dust control in general and recommended this model mask and I'm super happy with it.

Dan Friedrichs
10-29-2010, 1:51 PM
If you don't want the really neat device mentioned by Ken and just want the simple dustmasks, I've had decent luck with some of the N95 type dust masks that have an exhaust valve built into the lower part of the mask.

+1. I can't find a respirator that I like, so I use the 3M 9211 dust mask. The exhaust valve totally eliminates any fogging of my glasses. You can buy them individually from WoodWorker's Hardware if you want to try one, first.

paul cottingham
10-29-2010, 3:02 PM
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=62081&cat=1,42207
Great mask seals on my beard and doesn't fog glasses.

Larry Komroff
10-29-2010, 3:12 PM
I use the dust bee gone mask. woodcraft and rockler carry it. Very comfortable and does not fog up glasses.

Alan Lightstone
10-29-2010, 5:29 PM
Take a piece of tape and place it on the dust mask and partially on your skin over the bridge of your nose. The tape prevents exhaled air from passing by your glasses and prevents the fogging.

This is a tip I picked up from surgeons during my surgery rotation (I'm a medical student). Usually we had masks that had a piece of plastic that went between the mask and bridge of your nose that worked effectively.
That does work (I'm an anesthesiologist), but isn't foolproof. It also really messes with the skin on my face, so I rarely do it.

I've found the 3M N100 masks with the bottom vent to work pretty well. Not foolproof. You need to make sure to wipe off sweat from your face before putting on your glasses / mask, or it will still fog up with those.

Thinking of the face shield myself. Do they distort your vision?

Dave Stuve
10-29-2010, 7:39 PM
+1 on the 3M 7500 series with the p100 filters - I've used decent p95 disposables for years, and the 7500 is more comfortable to wear for longer periods of time, never fogs my safety glasses, and is slim enough to wear under a face shield. (I bought the large size 'cause I have a big noggin'...)

Dave

Dan Barber1
10-30-2010, 8:20 AM
This is what I use and it works fine. The only unpleasant problem is that you tend to drop saliva (spit) from the bottom of the mask and it often gets on your work. They say this will stop as you get familiar with the mask, but it hasn't for me. But it does work and doesn't fog up your glasses.

http://woodworker.com/resp-o-rator-whepa-filters-mssu-122-084.asp?search=Resporator&searchmode=2

Steve Griffin
10-30-2010, 9:07 AM
3M8511

-Steve

John Buzzurro
10-30-2010, 9:21 AM
The 3M 8511 seems to do an excellent job of keeping the fog off my glasses.

geoff wood
10-30-2010, 9:25 AM
you might wanna try different glasses, not a mask... i use fastcap goggles that were only 7$, they create a gasket against your face. and i use just a simple 3m dustmask

Van Huskey
10-30-2010, 1:13 PM
I use the dust bee gone mask. woodcraft and rockler carry it. Very comfortable and does not fog up glasses.

Though, I am not completely sure about the efficacy of the Dust Bee Gone it is without a doubt the most comfortable and most fog free dust mask I have ever used.

Kevin Gregoire
10-30-2010, 1:34 PM
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=62081&cat=1,42207
Great mask seals on my beard and doesn't fog glasses.

paul, thanks for the link for that mask, it looks nice and big and to know
it will work with my beard is a big plus!!
i will get one ordered right away and give it a try.

thanks

Dave Diamond
11-09-2010, 4:21 PM
Although you said you don't want a respirator, the power mask sold at Woodcraft ($70) and Rockler (more expensive) is much more pleasant than a regular respirator. It has a small fan in it that pressurizes the mask, meaning that you don't have to have it on as tight as a non-powered respirator to keep it leak-free, and it definitely won't fog. That makes it a lot more comfortable to wear. A heck of a lot healthier to use than those paper masks, which don't really keep the harmful particles out. http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2020033/19327/Power-Mask-Powered-Respirator.aspx

http://www.woodcraft.com/Images/products/147633_400.jpg

Neil Brooks
11-09-2010, 4:26 PM
I know you said you didn't want a respirator, but I can't help mentioning the 3M 7500 series. It is very light and comfortable, imho. I wear it with the P100 (pink) filters and my glasses NEVER fog up. I don't find it that much heavier or inconvenient than the decent paper masks with vents. I wash it out with warm water when it gets dirty (and shop vac the filters), so it's cheaper for me in the long run than buying disposable masks. Plus I can add the other filters for work with finishes, etc. when I want to. The woodwhisper has a pod cast (#87 Dust in Time) about dust control in general and recommended this model mask and I'm super happy with it.

+1.

I also use mine with the organic vapor cartridges (or whatever they're actually called), for finishing.

I think the thing is a gem ... with zero downside ... IMHO :)

Steven Hsieh
11-09-2010, 5:11 PM
3M™ Particulate Respirator 8511

http://www.soundsafetyproducts.com/images/p/p_8511_l.jpg

Kevin Gregoire
11-09-2010, 7:28 PM
i got my mask today from lee valley and tried it on and its comfortable and no fogging of my glasses which was cool. the straps are a little bit of a PITA but not to bad and the replaceable filters are a neat idea.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/images/item/Woodworking/Safety/22r2031s3.jpg

Neil Brooks
11-09-2010, 7:37 PM
3M™ Particulate Respirator 8511

Steve(n):

Is it fair to say that ... for you ... the 'exhaust valve' works _well_ on these ?

I have a box or two of them, but can just _never_ get to really like them. Always wind up throwing the 7500 back on.

I've tried using the metal "pinch strip" to change where it sits on my face ... in relation to my mouth ... etc.

But it never seems to work any better than the P100s I have that do NOT have the valve.