PDA

View Full Version : Sawgear

John Pratt
10-29-2010, 10:19 AM
Saw this tool on TV last night. Anybody actually seen or used one of these systems? Looks like a great tool if you are making a lot of cuts on the mitersaw. Dont want to post a wesite and break the rules, but it can easily be found through google. If you have used one, I would really like to hear your thoughts or review.

John

Jay Allen
10-29-2010, 11:38 AM
I just checked out the website. It looks pretty cool, but I could never justify that cost.....ever. I'll stick to my Kreg System.
A price tag of 2,500 dollars is hard to handle.

John Pratt
10-29-2010, 12:07 PM
I agree that's a hefty price for the 12' version, but I was thinking along the lines of a contractor or someone who does extensive remodel work. at work I do a considerable amount of trim work and carpentry along with the usual woodworking.

Joseph Klosek
10-29-2010, 12:22 PM
I don't really see how this could really benefit a finish carpenter.

Once you have a decent set up with your saw, stable platform and extension tables, then all that is left to do is mark and cut.

Houses are so out of level and plumb that making one measurement and cutting multiples can result in a lot of wasted material.

Most efficiencies can be found in doing the same thing over and over in order to develop a routine.

When I was a finish carpenter I always organized my material, spread out the doors, then started with the work. Hang doors, cut and case doors etc...

There is no substitute for skill and experience. Which I think these products try to replace.

J.P.

John Pratt
10-29-2010, 12:27 PM
Agreed, I have that experience, but..... I guess I am a sucker for technology. Always looking for an easier way (not to mention cool gadgets). When I was in the Army we obviously had to learn how to read a map and compass, but the GPS devices sure made it easier. I do see your point though. You can't rely on the tech without first being proficient in the basics. Much like the GPS, what happens when the batteries go dead? That was a tough lesson for new soldiers.

Paul Steiner
10-29-2010, 2:50 PM
I do not see the advantage of this over a regular mitersaw stand with a stop guide. This machine saves about a person from making no more than 3 steps to put a tape on the end of a board.

Ray Newman
10-29-2010, 2:54 PM
"A price tag of 2,500 dollars is hard to handle."
--Jay Allen

Wait 'bout a year or so -- the Chinese will make and sell one for under a hundred bucks....

johnny means
10-30-2010, 12:21 AM
And the Ruby goes to...

This sort of technology is great for production settings like in an automated slider with programed cut lists. But on a miter saw for site work it just seems sort of silly. What's the point? Doesn't seem any faster than a tape measure.

Check out the video where they build the same shed with and without the Sawgear. They claim 78 minutes with the Sawgear and 115 minutes with a tape measure and pencil. Assuming that the Sawgear job did take some time to set up the stop, we are to assume that, during a 2 hour job in which a structure was actually assembled, over 40 minutes were spent measuring and marking. This is a ridiculous assertion and leads me to believe that any of their other claims are contrived.