PDA

View Full Version : How to sharpen a corner chisel?

David Genrich
12-25-2004, 4:29 PM
I just purchased a Sorby 3/8" Corner Chisel and was wondering how to sharpen it. Due to it's shape (see pictures below), the Scary Sharp method would be difficult to do (with the rig, it might be doable).

I asked when I purchased the chisel, but the sales staff didn't know how best to sharper the corner chisel. I googled for the information, I browsed through the sorby web site (they say there is some sharping information in their catalog, so I requested that, and I wrote to the sales department there, but they are on vacation until Jan 3, 2005).

After some more goggling, I decided to ask for help. So, can anyone point me in the proper direction?

Thanks,
David Genrich
woodshaper@gmail.com

Pam Niedermayer
12-26-2004, 11:27 AM
Unless you have a very special need that I can't imagine, I'd say return it. You don't need it.

Pam

Mark Singer
12-26-2004, 11:58 AM
I have always found them difficult to sharpen...First i file the edge square by blunting on a rough stone. Then file the edges all 4 ( both faces) Then a 100 hand hone ....up to 1000 ....or finer The steel is usually not that hard. Although I have a couple...I never use them...I don't like them for cabinet work. I used to use the little block ones for square butt hinges on full size doors after the router.

Bob Smalser
12-26-2004, 12:29 PM
Just use small stones for the bevels as Mark describes....the back is flattened like any other chisel.

Or don't touch it and get store credit for something you need more.

Corner Chisels

Formerly strictly large “framing” chisels for timber frames in buildings and ships, these are now being made in smaller sizes for cabinetry. Their primary function is to square up mortises that are drilled first, although in smaller cabinet work that can also be done just as well with conventional bench chisels. If you chop mortises with proper mortise chisels as opposed to drill and pare with bench chisels, you won’t have a use for these at all.