PDA

View Full Version : Website help needed

David Freed
10-29-2010, 6:14 AM
I am pretty sure somebody here knows more about this than I do.
I am wanting to give prices on a web page for a product that has many options; well over 1 million combinations. I want the potential customer to be able to click on the available options and have the total be automatically added as they choose them. If they like the price, they can then contact me about purchasing it. I have seen this on other sites, but I don't even know what to look for. I have tried a few different queries on Google, but I'm not getting anywhere. Can anyone tell me "what" I am looking for? :confused:

Dan Hintz
10-29-2010, 6:28 AM
David,

This is usually taken care of by an e-cart... some are free (if you don't mind advertising alongside your products), others come for a fair price (like AgoraCart, the one I use). Most use Perl for the inner workings. Hope that helps...

David Freed
10-29-2010, 6:43 AM
Thanks for the reply, but I don't want a shopping cart. The web site program I am using has that option. Most people would not buy this without talking to a salesman first. I am just wanting them to be able to see the prices before calling. That would eliminate a lot of wasted time on the phone.

I looked up Perl after typing this reply. That may do what I want, but I don't know website programming. Is there something that is more drag and drop oriented? I am already overwhelmed trying to set up this web site on top of my workload. I don't have time to learn how to do that.

Dave Johnson29
10-29-2010, 7:10 PM
I am just wanting them to be able to see the prices before calling. That would eliminate a lot of wasted time on the phone.

Sounds like a pretty simple Javascipt would do what you want. You would need some form of product/price reference using hidden text fields. That would all work from the webpages.

If you wanted to do it based on the web-server then PHP/MySQL would be the next best choice.

Dave

David Freed
11-02-2010, 11:09 AM
Sounds like a pretty simple Javascipt would do what you want. You would need some form of product/price reference using hidden text fields. That would all work from the webpages.

If you wanted to do it based on the web-server then PHP/MySQL would be the next best choice.

Dave
That sounds like what I might be after, but I wouldn't know how to do it.

On a side note, it looks like my new business is getting shot down by the very person that was helping me get started. :mad: I won't say anymore for now.