PDA

View Full Version : Digital camera problem.

Dave Lehnert
10-29-2010, 12:29 AM
I have a little Cannon point and shoot digital camera. Only two years old.
I started having a problem where it says to replace the batteries and shut down. Just like the batteries are dead. I have replaced the batteries with many sets of recharable and standard Duracell etc... Same problem. The camera will come on each time I hit the power button but will shut down because of low batteries. I have even replaced the little button batteries that keep the date set. I have cleaned the contacts also.
Any ideas? The camera was only $149 so guess it would not be worth fixing.

Brian Brown
10-29-2010, 1:19 AM
Unfortunately point and shoot cameras are designed to be disposable. Hopefully, the camera can be "DIY Fixed". It sounds like you have a loose, broken contact. You may be able to fix it yourself if you can find it. You said you have cleaned the contacts, but you didn't say how. Use a pencil eraser, and carefully but thoroughly scrub them down. Pencil erasers are made with small glass shards in the rubber. The glass is abrasive on the contacts, and cleans them well. Also clean the battery contacts, and don't touch them with your fingers. The oil from your skin can sometimes be enough to break the contact. If that doesn't work, call Canon. They have very good customer support. The phone number is on their website.

Dave Lehnert
10-29-2010, 2:39 PM
Unfortunately point and shoot cameras are designed to be disposable. Hopefully, the camera can be "DIY Fixed". It sounds like you have a loose, broken contact. You may be able to fix it yourself if you can find it. You said you have cleaned the contacts, but you didn't say how. Use a pencil eraser, and carefully but thoroughly scrub them down. Pencil erasers are made with small glass shards in the rubber. The glass is abrasive on the contacts, and cleans them well. Also clean the battery contacts, and don't touch them with your fingers. The oil from your skin can sometimes be enough to break the contact. If that doesn't work, call Canon. They have very good customer support. The phone number is on their website.

I used a eye glass cleaning pad. Will try the eraser.
If that don't work I will open it up and see if anything looks wrong. Will have nothing to lose at that point.
This camera only gets used on holidays and such. Very little use in 2+ years. I was not very happy with the photo quality of the Canon. The greens looked fake. I know Canon rates high but no more for me.