PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G0564 sander

Greg Roberts
10-28-2010, 11:07 PM
I purchased a Grizzly G0564 sander a few weeks ago, and after setting it up and getting it adjusted, I noticed the belt looked crooked while at rest. Actually, it was crooked while running too.

I contacted Grizzly and asked about the problem, and it basically took them three weeks to answer one simple question. Is the crookedness I see normal for this model of machine? Terrible customer service on this one, but I've already covered that in another thread.

According to Grizzly tech support, the crookedness is not normal. While at rest, the belt on the motor side is about 3/4" lower than on the idler roller side. Adjusting the belt only slides the crooked belt up and down, it does not straighten it out.

The oscillating action does move the belt up and down more on the motor side than the idler roller side, but it's still crooked.

I used my Tiltbox (awesome product by the way) and found the table, platen, and sheet metal belt cover were all level side to side. The end table that goes around the idler roller was level side to side, but it was tilted back two degrees. The idler roller was also tilted back two degrees. Both the idler roller and the table attach to a cast arm that extend out of that side of the machine. Looking at the end of that cast arm, it looks crooked by about two degrees.

Measuring the front to back plumb of the motor roller is difficult because the roller is barrel shaped. But with a little tweaking, I could see that this roller was tilted forward about one degree.

One of the Grizzly techs suggested that the rollers being twisted by three degrees could be causing the belt to track crooked. It does make sense to me as I think about it.

They're going to pull out a new machine, set it up, make sure it is running properly and not crooked, and take the cast arm and a few other parts off that machine and send them to me. Now that's pretty darn good customer service.

The machine runs great. It has some nice features, like the stop button on top of the machine, the table up/down mechanism is really nice, the cabinet is really nice, dust collection (even with just the one end hooked up) is fantastic, and it's a nice smooth running machine. Much nicer than the Laguna unit I had before. The dust chute swings out of the way so you can sand long stock. The platen is quite long, I forget how long right now, but it's a very good size for the price of the machine. It's a nice looking machine. It was crated very well and showed up at my shop in perfect condition.

The crooked belt is not that big of an issue for me. The platen is oversized enough that even with the crookedness, the belt is still completely backed by the platen. But if it can be fixed relatively easily with a couple of parts, then I'd like to do it.

If you're in the market for an edge sander of roughly this size and roughly this price range, I recommend buying this machine.

Greg

Glenn Frazer
10-29-2010, 9:11 AM
I have the same (well at least basic design) from a differnt manufacturer, and the belt never has sat parallel to the platten. Also the gurad that covers the oscilation feature hits it (just left it off). Interested in the results of this
Glenn

Van Huskey
10-30-2010, 1:30 AM
Greg, glad you are overall happy and are getting it taken care of. The G0564 is on my list. Have you used the spindle sander yet?

Glenn, do you have the Delta, they look like exact copies.

Glenn Frazer
10-30-2010, 12:45 PM
I have the King industrial (Canada only I suppose)

http://www.kingcanada.com/Products.htm?CD=16&ID=20311

Van Huskey
10-30-2010, 1:36 PM
I have the King industrial (Canada only I suppose)

http://www.kingcanada.com/Products.htm?CD=16&ID=20311

That does look like another "perfect" copy, the only difference is the Grizzly and Delta are 3hp vs 2hp. Grizzly also makes the G0563 which is the same design but 6"x89" with a 2hp motor for about $200 less than the G0564.

Greg Roberts
10-30-2010, 11:20 PM
That does look like another "perfect" copy, the only difference is the Grizzly and Delta are 3hp vs 2hp. Grizzly also makes the G0563 which is the same design but 6"x89" with a 2hp motor for about $200 less than the G0564.

Spend the money and get the G0564!

Nope, haven't used the spindle sander yet. I modified my machine so I could keep the spindle sander on and still have the guard and dust collection on that side of the machine.

Greg

Glenn Frazer
11-05-2010, 3:39 PM
Greg gave you gotten your results yet? Mine apears to be 3/4" or more out from side to side.

Van Huskey
11-05-2010, 4:06 PM
Spend the money and get the G0564!

Nope, haven't used the spindle sander yet. I modified my machine so I could keep the spindle sander on and still have the guard and dust collection on that side of the machine.

Greg

That is my plan (unless something pops up on CL like a PM OES9138 for $1500 :D). For $200 the 564 is a better deal than the 563 in my mind.

glenn bradley
06-12-2011, 6:21 PM
What ever happened with this thread? Did we figure out that the oscillating mechanism works by tilting the drive drum and the tilt is normal?

Glenn Frazer
06-13-2011, 10:14 AM
King finally sent a service tech out to fix mine, it turns out the non driven end the bracket had slotted holes, and was just needing a good alignment. Slots were covered up by washers I had no idea they were there, it no longer sands the upper and lower dc guards at the same time.