PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Presents, not sure about the chisels

Bob Aquino
12-25-2004, 2:50 PM
Was a good woodworking Christmas for me. Got three japanese water stones, and a set of four Japanese chisels. For years, the only set of chisels I have had have come from sears and for what I have done with them, they have done well. My wife took the recommendation of several of the guys in the store and I think it was about 60-40 in favor of the Japanese chisels as opposed to one of the english brands. My understanding of japanese tools is that they do well on softer woods which is what is very common in Japan. For harder woods like cherry, oak, etc. I had always thought american or european brands would do better overall. She told me there wasnt much difference in price between the japanese and other brands so I am kinda up in the air. Looking for opinions either way as keeping them or exchanging them for a more conventional set.

I am also getting into sharpening so having a set that will take a real fine edge and keep it there is also a factor. Merry Christmas to all.

PS Whats the nagura stone used for?

Bob Smalser
12-25-2004, 3:54 PM
They'll be fine.

Concentrate on the wood and your work....and avoid the trap of overthinking all this arcane and mostly useless modern tool lore designed to make you want something "better" (read more expensive)....much of which is nonsense anyway.

The Japanese chisels I used for 25 years seemed to cut whatever I was working on at the time just dandy. I guess nobody told them they were for softwoods.

One difference is they are probably of harder steel, and harder steel often requires a steeper cutting edge to keep it from chipping...but that harder steel may well take a better edge, too, and hold it longer and the practical difference in use between it and an English chisel is moot.

Dunno about the stone....test it along side whatever stones you have with a chisel that needs sharpening and find out for yourself what it is. That's what you have to do with natural stones as what the manufacturer says they are in the way of coarse or fine and what they really are can be two different things.

Steve Wargo
12-25-2004, 7:51 PM
is to work up a slather on your finest grit stone and help in the honing process. As for the japanese chisels being better for softwoods...I agree with Bob. If they cut everything well, then they are fine. If they hold an edge well, then they are fine. If you're happy with them, then there is no need to purchase anything else. I've known more than a few people who use japanese chisels for everything with no problems. Congrats on the new tool score.

Pam Niedermayer
12-26-2004, 11:37 AM
Your wife and the guys in the shop did you a favor, thank her again. Examine each chisel carefully for even laminations and the shank for straight. Sharpen and enjoy. Contemporily manufactured English chisels, except for the Ashley Iles, don't have good reputations, apparently they tend to be soft.

Pam