PDA

View Full Version : New guy intro...

Mark Baldwin III
10-28-2010, 10:55 PM
Hi all! My name is Mark. Just want to introduce myself. I'm fairly new to woodworking, having only just caught the bug within the last year. I'm pretty much a hand tool guy. There's just something about 'em... I have a real interest in wooden planes, I actually just dished out a few bucks for an old Baldwin and I can't wait for it to show up. I have built 2 Hock kits (1 shoulder, 1 jack), and have made a smoother from scratch. I also have a few of those highly addictive LV planes. Maybe one of these days I'll actually work on something besides building/tuning old tools.
Now that I've said "Hi", it's time to go add those new LV saws to my wish list...:D

Jim Koepke
10-28-2010, 11:28 PM
Mark,

Welcome to the Creek. If you have a camera, everyone would enjoy seeing the planes you have made.

Every time someone posts pictures of their home made planes, it gets me closer to making my own. Currently my next tool project will be to make a handle for a back saw that is being Franken-sawed. It is an old Disston that didn't have a handle and the blade was pretty bad.

jtk

Charlie Stone
10-29-2010, 12:02 AM
Hello Mark, my name is Charlie, and I am a hand plane addict. Welcome to the group.

Mark Baldwin III
10-29-2010, 6:40 AM
Mark,

Welcome to the Creek. If you have a camera, everyone would enjoy seeing the planes you have made.
jtk

Here's my three wooden hand planes. The front one is the Hock jack plane kit. The middle is a Hock shoulder kit. The one in back is my home made smoother. The smoother is built around a Hock 2" blade. All three perform pretty well.
I plan on adding a jointer very soon. I want to to do one 22" long with a 1.5" iron. It will be a Krenov style like these. A high angle jack is also on the list.

George Sanders
10-29-2010, 7:25 AM
Welcome to the creek. I was going to warn you about the slope but I see it's already too late! :D Enjoy the ride. Oh, really good looking planes you made.

Mark Dorman
10-29-2010, 8:01 AM
Welcome to the Creek and nice job on the planes. I hope to start making my own tools soon and pictures like this inspire.

Mark

Don Dorn
10-29-2010, 9:19 AM
I had really talked myself out of ordering a Hock shoulder plane kit as I really don't use one. However your picture is most likely going to result in ordering one today. I really have been wanting to build a plane and your work, regardless of the fact that it's your first, is inspiring.

djd

Mark Baldwin III
10-29-2010, 5:51 PM
Thanks for the kind comments! The Hock kits are really nice. All it takes is a little attention to detail, and you get a really nice plane. The shoulder plane kit is a pretty nice piece. It takes a little more effort than the jack plane, but if I can do it...anyone can. I finally figured out a good way to get it going without using a guide or a fence. I don't have a metal version to compare it to, but I believe it's well worth the $90ish that I paid for it. The iron needs just a little lapping on the back side. It has a 30 degree bevel from the factory. I put just the tiniest micro bevel on it (about 2 degrees) and it cuts like a charm.

Charlie Stone
10-29-2010, 6:24 PM
okay ... maybe I will make my next plane ... people are always twisting my arm to get me to do things ..

art san jr
10-29-2010, 7:19 PM
Welcome Mark, real nice planes.

Thanks for sharing.

Art.

Andrew Pitonyak
10-30-2010, 8:08 PM
Wow, nice looking planes. You may be "new", but, your results sure look great.