PDA

View Full Version : Using Wood Hardener

Richard Madden
10-28-2010, 8:04 PM
Never used any, but I have some pieces that are in need of it. I'm going to look for the J-B Weld brand that Jeff Nichols mentioned. Probably a dumb question, but when do you use this stuff? I'm guessing after rough turning and drying, just before finish cuts. Sound right?

Bernie Weishapl
10-28-2010, 9:35 PM
Richard I put my hardener on after I have rough turned it and make sure it is dry.

kevin nee
10-29-2010, 11:17 AM
Please post where you got the hardener and the cost

Bill Bolen
10-29-2010, 5:05 PM
I've used minwax wood hardener in the past and it worked as advertised. Got mine at Home Depot. If you try it take it outside, the fumes are pretty bad,,..Bill...

Jeff Nicol
10-29-2010, 9:36 PM
Richard, I use the wood hardener only on punky or soft wood that needs some solidifying before the final turning. I have used the Minwax and like I said I bought the JB weld brand and have a few pieces that I have used it on and I think it works pretty much the same as the Minwax. I believe it drys a bit quicker and less sticky, but after it sets up completly they both are pretty stiff. It may take a couple applications if the wood is very dry or very punky. That being said I put it on after roughing or if during the roughout I want to save some of the punky wood I will use it after it is rounded and then if more is needed after the rough shaping.

The price is the same and I get both at Menards, so most of the big box stores should carry it. Or you may have to go to the JB weld webpage and see if they show where it can be purchased.

Jeff