PDA

View Full Version : Auxillary turning support?

Gene Sparling
10-28-2010, 7:53 PM
There is an auxiliary turning support device, usually involving a circular framework with rollers, used to aid support of long pieces to be hollowed. What is it called? And are there plans online some where as to how to build one? Any advice on building and use from those with experience? Thank you, Sirs! (and anyone else)

Michael James
10-28-2010, 7:57 PM
Steady rest.... and yes, there are plans available!

Jack Mincey
10-28-2010, 8:02 PM
They are call a steady rest and one of the creekers makes a great one from what I've seen. I made one out of wood and it works when I need it, but some day I will have to get a better one made from steel.
Jack

Gene Sparling
10-28-2010, 8:08 PM
Great! Steady rest, huh? Any idea how to track down that plan? Though with the term steady rest I maybe able to find it. Thank you very much!

Jake Helmboldt
10-28-2010, 9:02 PM
Gene, look on youtube for videos by Jeff Nicol. He is the Creeker mentioned that makes some very nice ones. He has a video, if I recall, of him making one.

edit: I just looked and here is Jeff's video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyZaJdq4keo

There are also posts by him here with details on making them.

Or you could contact him and see if he will fabricate one for you.

Bernie Weishapl
10-28-2010, 9:05 PM
I got mine from Jeff Nicol. It is stout, no flex, smooth and is a great unit. Not affiliated but just a satisfied customer.

Gene Sparling
10-28-2010, 10:52 PM
Thanks Guys. Started gluing one up. Need it ASAP so have to put something together. Hopefully have one made by tomorrow pm. Thanks again

James Combs
10-28-2010, 11:03 PM
There is an auxiliary turning support device, usually involving a circular framework with rollers, used to aid support of long pieces to be hollowed. What is it called? And are there plans online some where as to how to build one? Any advice on building and use from those with experience? Thank you, Sirs! (and anyone else)

I am in the process of building one (the round metal version) for my new Jet 1646 and plan on posting my process as a sort of tutorial on how to do it with simple tools and no welder.

Here is one of the photos I will be using.

Gene Sparling
10-28-2010, 11:22 PM
Is there an advantage or disadvantage to 4 or 3 wheels?

James Combs
10-28-2010, 11:30 PM
Is there an advantage or disadvantage to 4 or 3 wheels?

Just my guess but I would think that the more wheels touching the vessel being turned the steadier it would be. Three wheels would probably be ok for spindles but larger bowels have a lot more area to flex.

Jim Sebring
10-29-2010, 12:20 AM
I'm very interested in seeing your tutorial. I just received a 16 inch ring from Mcmaster-Carr a few days ago for this project. I haven't found suitable tubing for the wheel supports. What I found is 3/4 inch stuff to attach to the ring but nothing to fit snugly inside on which to mount the wheels.

Fred Perreault
10-29-2010, 8:10 AM
As for the number of wheels, it seems that with 4 wheels, they might hit against one another before contacting small spindle turnings. Maybe a 3 wheeler for spindles, and a 4 wheeler for larger items. Or, as Jeff Nicol pointed out, one can turn the wheels inside and outside for different contact points. Are any of the Nicol owners using them on small diameter spindles? Does staggering wheel location adversely affect the steadying effect?
Maybe adding additional square recievers would permit using only 3 wheels on Jeff Nicols' steady...?

Jim Underwood
10-29-2010, 10:43 AM
From the title of the thread, I thought you were talking about a support group....

Turners Anonymous Auxiliary...:p

Jim Underwood
10-29-2010, 11:14 AM
Now that I've read the thread, I'm quite intrigued by Mr Comb's design. I hope you post your tutorial and lots of pix. I'm supposed to be making one for a buddy of mine, but haven't got 'round tuit yet....

I was drawing it up to be cut out of 3/4 ply for his PM3520 but haven't finalized design details yet. If your design looks good enough, I may scrap the plan and go with a metal one instead- and build one for my 1642 as well...

Wally Dickerman
10-29-2010, 12:43 PM
There is another type of steadyrest that works very well. It has only 2 wheels and they are used on the right side of the vessel if you turn right handed. It's made by Oneway but could be copied with a couple of inline skate wheels.

I have a big 3 wheel steady rest but since acquiring a Oneway 2-wheeler, the 3-wheeler never gets used.

Wally

James Combs
10-29-2010, 9:23 PM
There is another type of steadyrest that works very well. It has only 2 wheels and they are used on the right side of the vessel if you turn right handed. It's made by Oneway but could be copied with a couple of inline skate wheels.

I have a big 3 wheel steady rest but since acquiring a Oneway 2-wheeler, the 3-wheeler never gets used.

Wally

I like the 2 wheeler for the back of platters and shallow bowls. I am incorporating one into my version of the Jeff Nicol's steady. Here is a peek. Don't want to hijack Gene's thread so we will have to wait for my post for the details.