PDA

View Full Version : k.i.s.s. cherry bowl

Sean Hughto
10-28-2010, 5:06 PM
After my outing with the weird golf ball lidded vessel, I needed to get back to something straightforward - as in keep it simple stupid. I picked out a nice cherry rough out this morning, and returned it. I'm very pleased with the techinal aspects as it is very light for it's size (i.e., good wall and bottom thickness) and I'm pleased with the curves. The lip makes for an easy and comfortable one hand pick up. It's about 14 3/4" x 5 1/2". Finished with my usual walnut oil and beeswax.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1411/5124361466_3eca9f894a_b.jpg

Thanks for looking. Criticisms are always welcome; I'm glad to learn.

John Keeton
10-28-2010, 5:13 PM
Sean, for the record, I liked the golf ball bowl!! I think there are a lot of variations one could do with that.

This is an exceptionally beautiful cherry bowl - nice grain and color. At first, I felt the lip on the rim was a bit heavy, but with the dimensions of the bowl, it probably is very functional. Great form!

Steve Vaughan
10-28-2010, 5:25 PM
And, for the record, I loved the golf ball bowl too! And, for the record, should anyone ask, I love this one too. I love the whole shape, size, and rim!

Bill Bolen
10-28-2010, 5:33 PM
Lovely piece. I really like the beaded rim too...Bill...

Roger Chandler
10-28-2010, 6:36 PM
Great stuff Sean! Nice form, clean lines, and good finish. That is a keeper!

David DeCristoforo
10-28-2010, 6:49 PM
That's a really nice looking bowl. Now you have something to put your golf balls in!

Cathy Schaewe
10-28-2010, 7:25 PM
Very nice!
What's the diameter of the foot? Do you think it will be tippy?

Sean Hughto
10-28-2010, 7:39 PM
Very nice!
What's the diameter of the foot? Do you think it will be tippy?

The foot is 3" in diameter. It is not tippy.

When I first got into a turning I checked out several wood bowls that I came across including one we received as wedding gift from William Senoma (as it that how you spells that?) and noted that many had very small feet relative to their size, and yet didn't have tipping problems. I've emulated that many times, and never yet had a problem.

Leo Van Der Loo
10-28-2010, 8:18 PM

When I first got into a turning I checked out several wood bowls that I came across including one we received as wedding gift from William Senoma (as it that how you spells that?) and noted that many had very small feet relative to their size, and yet didn't have tipping problems. I've emulated that many times, and never yet had a problem.

Good looking bowl Sean, small foot yes, but like you say they are not so tippy as some might think, as a matter of fact, if you would tip it, I think it will right itself no problem.
I like the bowl and the Cherry will get nicer as time goes by, thanks for showing :)

Steve Schlumpf
10-28-2010, 8:22 PM
Sean - very classy Cherry bowl! Love the form, the wood and the finish!

Have to admit - I am impressed with how fast you are turning out some real winners! Keep up the good work!

Baxter Smith
10-28-2010, 8:46 PM
Very nice bowl Sean!

Cathy Schaewe
10-28-2010, 9:10 PM

Thanks for the info. I really like the way it looks and want to try a smaller foot like that on some bowls that size, so I just wondered - absolutely not trying to be critical. It's really a nice bowl!

Bernie Weishapl
10-28-2010, 9:19 PM
That is a classy bowl Sean and I do like the finish. Really well done. I think no smaller than 3" and no larger than 4.5" is a good fit. I like it.

David E Keller
10-28-2010, 10:29 PM
It's a nice looking bowl. For me, the lip is a little strong visually, but that's just me. You've really been knocking out some great looking bowls lately... Thanks for sharing them.

Sean Hughto
10-28-2010, 10:37 PM
If looks were the only consideration, I think I'd agree. I could have made a more handsome lip - especially the underside at the outer edge. But the main point of it was to aid in grasping the bowl, and so I left it "strong" and somewhat abrupt - because that's what seemed more functional. I hope I don't sound defensive; all I'm meaning to do is share my thought process. This is absolutely intended as a utility bowl. I hope it hosts many many salads and such. Thanks for the thought. Nest time I may see if function can can suffer a bit more handsome lip. ;-)

Rob Cunningham
10-29-2010, 8:21 AM
Another nice one Sean. I like the rim and the overall shape and finish. The cherry is beautiful.

Prashun Patel
10-29-2010, 8:59 AM
Beautiful bowl. My only complaint is yr false modesty. Nothing 'SS' about that. How about KITE (keep it truly elegant)?

Thanks to all for the discussion about feet. Good info here.

steven carter
10-29-2010, 9:19 AM
Sean,

For the record, I too liked the "golf ball lidded bowl". Maybe being an avid golfer helps, I think it would be a good place to put the tees I seem to always have in my pockets when I return from the links. If you are looking for a home for it, how about donating it to the creek member with the lowest golf handicap?;) (I'm a 6 by the way):D:D.

On a more serious note, I really like this bowl, including the strong rim treatment. If it were a much smaller bowl, I would be inclined to think the rim too strong, but a bowl of this size, I think commands the larger rim. I'm going to get some of the Mahoney's walnut oil and try it for utility bowls. Keep up the good work!

Steve

Jim Burr
10-29-2010, 9:24 AM
That bowl begs to be picked up...nice soft finish. Strong classic bowl :D

Sean Hughto
10-29-2010, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the kind words about the golf ball vessel. I'd send it to you, but my 9 year old already claimed it. She loves it and uses it to keep her large Japanese toy erasers collection in (Think multi-part erasers 3/4 of inch high that form cute animals and such). She ain't giving it up. It's good when you're work is appreciated. ;-)