PDA

View Full Version : End table input requested

Kirk (KC) Constable
12-25-2004, 1:25 PM
I'm making a pair of end tables...one a simple 'Missiony' table with side slats and a lower shelf attached at the sides...one a frame and panel affair with three drawers. Refer to the drawing(s) below, and tell me if the upper front on the slat table appears to be too small, and if I should lose the arc since the side aprons are straight. I suspect the arc makes it look smaller, so just making it straight may 'fix' that. I'm also not real pleased with the overall appearance of the front...the shelf will be dadoed into the side stretchers, and stop maybe an inch or so inside the legs at both the front and back. I've made several coffe tables kinda like this, but with the 'width' of the shelf dadoed into the stretchers, not the 'length' like this one. Somehow it looks odd to me without support under it in front. I don't want to put support in the front and back, because I don't want to fiddle with cutting notches around the legs. I may be seeing a problem that isn't there simply because I usually do it the other way...so comments are appreciated. Thanks much!

http://www.kcwoodworks.net/missidetbl.jpg

http://www.kcwoodworks.net/missidetbl2.jpg

Jim Becker
12-25-2004, 9:37 PM
I'm not sure about the second piece, but I do think that you're spot on with the first needing the upper apron straight instead of radiused.

Kirk (KC) Constable
12-26-2004, 7:28 AM
Thanks for the comment. I originally drew it straight, but lost my head and cut it with the arc. :(

These are for me (for a change!), so it probably really doesn't matter. It just looked odd when I dry fit it. I may well recut those two pieces. :o

KC

Ted Shrader
12-26-2004, 3:55 PM
KC -

I agree with Jim about the top front apron - should definitely be straight. The sides look good with the bottom rail under the slats curved.

Don't think you need a "mechanical" support under the bottom shelf. But if you want a "visual" one, put an arc on it and taper it up to only about 1" deep at the center. Any corbels at the top? (I generally don't put them on.)

Ted

Ted

Jim Becker
12-26-2004, 4:07 PM
These are for me (for a change!), so it probably really doesn't matter. I actually think it matters more when the piece is for your own use...you'll need to live with it for a long time, so make sure it really makes you happy! This is one of those times that a mock up or prototype would be quite useful; make multiple versions of the apron out of scrap solid stock or plywood (really!) and do a dry fit. Or use carboard to mock it up. Or SketchUp! :D

But do get it right for "you"!

Kirk (KC) Constable
12-26-2004, 5:37 PM
Hmmm. The more I look at it, the less it bothers me...and I've just about decided to leave it the way it is. Something about a plain, straight apron offends me, I guess. I may still change my mind and cut some straight ones just to look at it, but I've gone ahead and sanded and chamfered the radiused pieces in preparation for assembly tomorrow. The sides are assembled, and the shelf panel is in the clamps. The six panels for the drawer unit are also in the clamps, so I may also get something put together on that piece tomorrow.

No corbels on this one(s), but I usually put them on bedside tables.

I'm much less particular about things that are for me than I am about things for sale, 'cause I know I can always make another one if I hate it really bad. I try not to get carried away worrying about it...stuff for us is supposed to be fun. ;)

KC

Mark Singer
12-26-2004, 8:14 PM
The proportions and form is good! I like it!