PDA

View Full Version : Large Shoulder plane

Ken Masco
10-28-2010, 2:59 PM
I posted this earlier in the wrong forum. I am in the market for a large shoulder plane. I have a small Clifton shoulder plane, I think the model is 420, I’ve been using it for many years now and I love it. I’m also drooling over the Veritas and Lie-Nielsen planes I see in the catalogues. I’m confused about which one to buy. I have had three Lie-Nielsen planes for many years and love them as well as the Lie-Nielsen service. The Veritas plane looks great, and is a few dollars less than the Lie-Nielsen. The Clifton is even less expensive.

After eighteen years at this hobby in a pretty intense way I’ve learned that it’s important to get the best tools if you can afford them, also that the best tool is almost always the best value in the long run.

So…… can any of you help me decide based on your personal experience?
I will appreciate any advice you may have.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/progress.gif

alex grams
10-28-2010, 3:48 PM
I own several planes from Lee Valley and Lie-Nielsen, I think you will be more than satisfied with either of them. Unless you are an absolute afficianado of planes and have extremely refined taste, I doubt you will notice a heck of a lot of difference between the two.

I specifically have the medium shoulder plane from Lee Valley, and am 50/50 on the adjustable knob on the back end. Of course, I have larger hands, so the knob may be more suited towards people with smaller hands. I think the knob is the major difference you will feel between the two, and you really need to hold and use each to tell what your preference is.

george wilson
10-28-2010, 4:36 PM
The LN is so much more artistic than the LV. That is what I have,along with my own make.

The LV might be more ergonomic,but I just like a beautiful tool(which still works just fine).

David Weaver
10-28-2010, 5:18 PM
I have the LN large and LV medium planes. I think from a practical standpoint, i would probably get the LV, because the fixtures really do improve the grip if there is any specialty joinery you're doing and you use the plane for a long time.

I only got a case of the sore hands one time from the large shoulder, and that was from using it to hog off 1/4" of carcass thickness behind a face frame where I had measured wrong. It was a handy plane because it could cut flush to the back of the
face frame and square, too.

Maybe I'd have had sore hands, anyway, with the LV.

I guess it doesn't matter which one you pick, pick the one that you like the looks of, they are both fantastic planes.

I like the medium a lot and think the fixtures while they are useful on the large planes, are even more useful on the small ones vs. planes that don't have the fixtures.

Tony Zaffuto
10-28-2010, 5:28 PM
I got a small Preston, a medium LV and a large LN. Each has it's strong points, but I just reach more for the large LN.

Damon Marxer
10-29-2010, 6:19 AM
I had taken a Chris Schwarz saw bench class a few years ago and was able to use both the LN and LV large shoulder planes. I also own both LV and LN planes. After using both large shoulder planes I decided the LV was the one I wanted. It was easier to hold and use for my hands. I do agree that the LN is prettier but I would buy the LV....which has been on my wish list since that class but haven't gotten around to buying it. :o

lowell holmes
10-29-2010, 9:33 AM
I removed the adjustable knob on the medium shoulder plane. If you like it, leave it on, otherwise remove it. :)

John Coloccia
10-29-2010, 9:59 AM
Occasionally, LN or Veritas toss together a few innovations that makes one version nicer than the other. In this particular case, I personally feel that the Veritas is just the better plane from a usability standpoint. I haven't personally used the Veritas. I've played with the LN. I can definitely see where the ergonomics on the Veritas would be a huge plus for me.

I'm sure they're both very nice planes, though.

Randy Briggs
10-29-2010, 10:23 AM
+1 LV

I have the LV and got to use the LN at Roy's joinery class before I bought the LV. The design and ergonomics of the LV is what sold me. The LN is very nice looking, but for laying on its side to trim shoulders, the adjustable knob and other features of the LV work for me. I have a Stanley 92 & 93, and can ever seem to get a good grip on them.