PDA

View Full Version : Knitting needles????

Jenn Hill
10-28-2010, 2:41 PM
Hi everyone,
I am going to make some knitting needles as a gift for my aunt. Does anyone have any suggestions for the type of wood that I should use? I assume I need something pretty hard. I don't know anything about knitting but I have done some spindle work (hairsticks). I worry about choosing the right type of wood because I know that some of the harder wood have a lot of oils in them. I do not want to discolor any of the yarn.
Any suggestions????
Thanks,
Jenn

John Keeton
10-28-2010, 3:41 PM
Jenn, seems the obvious choice would be riven maple, but I suspect pear would work, and cherry, if riven. I doubt any of those would impart color to the yarn, and all would finish out to a nice surface for handwork. I would avoid walnut (turns the hands black) and any of the exotics for the reason mentioned. The ash, oak, hickory varieties are bad to splinter IMO.

dirk martin
10-28-2010, 3:48 PM
I sell tons of exotics, for folks turning knitting needles.
The woods they order the most from me, for this, is bloodwood, purpleheart, and sometimes leopardwood.

I don't know if I'm allowed to post my website address, or put it in my signature...so I won't.

There is, however, is a nice wood hardness scale, on my website.

David E Keller
10-28-2010, 3:57 PM
I've never tried, but I would imagine holly would be a good choice. African blackwood and desert ironwood should work as well. I agree with John about pear, too. I would think any wood suitable to finial work(fine grain and strong) would make an exceptable choice for knitting needles.

Mike Stephens
10-28-2010, 4:22 PM
Ive turned 4 pairs of knitting needles. You need to use a closed grain hardwood. I made mine out of hard white maple and added a decorative finial to the top out of a contrasting wood.

If you use an open grain wood the yarn can easily catch on the needle.

Leopard wood is absolutely no good for the needle. I did use it to make the finial on the top of a pair of needles.

Andrew Arndts
10-28-2010, 6:12 PM
Well for what ever wood you use, I found that a nice coating of CA would be a way I would keep any sap or resin away from any pending possible staining of yarn.

Gary Sutton
10-28-2010, 8:29 PM
Jenn, Persimmon would be good. I have Persimmon trees on my property and one time an old timer told me that Persimmon was used for knitting machines in the old days. Maybe it still being used. I am in western Ky but I don't have any that is available for turning.

John Keeton
10-28-2010, 8:34 PM
Gary, you have been quietly hiding for a couple of years!! Good to see another KY boy posting in the Turner's Forum.

I have whittled persimmon, and it seems to be much like Bradford Pear in grain and texture. Probably would do great for knitting needles.

Seems whichever wood is used, riving it would certainly add to the strength and reduce the possibility of a splinter rising up.

Gary Sutton
10-28-2010, 9:07 PM
John I have been a lurker here for years. I've been wood turning since I retired in 2004. I have a Oneway 1640 and love it. I turn bowls, Christmas ornaments, toy trains of the Thomas the tank engines series and many other things. I have a lot of turnings I need to post. The problem now is I'm care giver for my mom, 88 years old and it is a full time job. By the way I admire your work and wisdom. Maybe we could get together sometime or communicate. My email address is gsutton5623@comcast.net.

John Keeton
10-28-2010, 9:17 PM
Gary, sent you an email! And, thanks for the compliment!

Jenn Hill
10-28-2010, 11:16 PM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Much appreciated!