PDA

View Full Version : Will this work? Suggestions?

Matt Day
10-28-2010, 2:31 PM
I've been playing around with this design for a while now, for a modified version of a blanket chest for the end of our bed. I'm going to have the top open to expose a ~6" deep storage area, and below that anothe storage area where the door opens out. None of the sizes or dimensions are finalized yet, but this is the general idea and I had a few questions about the door design as this is the first of this kind of tried and don't have much experience with this kind of stuff (moving parts).

1) Do you think my basic design will work, using a roundover edge treatment like I've shown?
2) Hinge choice. I'm not sure what kind of hinge to use - standard like I've shown, piano, etc. Is there a certain kind of hinge that will work best in this application?
3) I was planning on using some light guage chain (hard to draw in Sketchup!) to support the door when it's opened. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks for the input in advance!

Prashun Patel
10-28-2010, 2:45 PM
I suppose it would work. My non-pro thought:

I'd use a chamfer instead of a roundover. Unless you have a matching cove and roundover set, it can be a little tricky to get them to match. A chamfer should work the same way. I can't get my head around the geometry, but if a 90deg edge will clear the pivot point, I'd just do that.

Matt Day
10-28-2010, 2:56 PM
Prashun, you know I think you're right. I don't exactly know why I was thinking of using a roundover instead of simply cutting a 45 on the TS or using a chamfer bit like you suggested. Overthinking I guess.

Any suggestions on what type of hinge to use anyone?

Nicholas Bukky
10-28-2010, 4:34 PM
Something with shallow screws or a long hinge plate/blade or the screws will not be in much on the bottom.

Nick

Doug Shepard
10-28-2010, 5:40 PM
This would normally go on the bottom of a rule-joint table but I suppose you could make it work from the top surfaces (inside your cabinet) too.
http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware/page.aspx?p=40211&cat=3,41241,41261&ap=1

Lee Schierer
10-29-2010, 7:58 AM
For your hinges look for sewing cabinet fold out top hinges. They take a lot of weight and you shouldn't need the chain which will always get in the way of closing the door.