PDA

View Full Version : Buying advice on a large shoulder plane

Ken Masco
10-28-2010, 12:35 PM
I am in the market for a large shoulder plane. I have a small Clifton shoulder plane, I think the model is 420, I’ve been using it for many years now and I love it. I’m also drooling over the Veritas and Lie-Nielsen planes I see in the catalogues. I’m confused about which one to buy. I have had three Lie-Nielsen planes for many years and love them as well as the Lie-Nielsen service. The Veritas plane looks great, and is a few dollars less than the Lie-Nielsen. The Clifton is even less expensive.

After eighteen years at this hobby in a pretty intense way I’ve learned that it’s important to get the best tools if you can afford them, also that the best tool is almost always the best value in the long run.

So…… can any of you help me decide based on your personal experience?
I will appreciate any advice you may have.

Terry Beadle
10-28-2010, 12:51 PM
I have the large LN shoulder plane. I've found it to be excellent. The blade is very good and will last a long time in use. I also have a Stanley 93 and use it alot too. The large LN plane was especially useful in large tennons for my work bench. The large LN has a lot of momentum behind it and will take fine slices to get that right fit.

I think the Schwartz did a review on it several years ago and recommended it. Maybe some one can find the url and post it for you.

Enjoy the shavings !

Callan Campbell
10-28-2010, 2:05 PM
Might be hard to do, but try to take them out for a "test drive" before buying. They have a totally different feel to them, since the design isn't quite the same between Lee Valley and L-N on much of anything when Lee Valley decides to make their own innovations to the plane dept.:) Unlike L-N, they often try out something very "unStanley" in the plane dept. So I often try to get my hands on both design ideas from these two companies since they're all well made and will stay with me for a long time unless I find something that I just can't live with[rare, hasn't really happened yet:D]
Hand tools are often a very subjective thing, so that's my 02 cents

Don Morris
10-28-2010, 2:19 PM
This should be in the "Neanderthal" Forum. Those guys live this stuff.

Kent A Bathurst
10-28-2010, 3:19 PM
......... I have had three Lie-Nielsen planes for many years and love them as well as the Lie-Nielsen service........the best tool is almost always the best value in the long run.

I am confused. You are considering changing to someone else because....why.....? "...a few dollars...." ????

Frank Drew
10-28-2010, 3:34 PM
Ken,

I've never heard anything bad about the better quality modern planes (LN, LV, Veritas...); I wouldn't put Stanley in that company, though.

You might also consider looking for an older British infill shoulder plane; they pop up from time to time on that well-known internet auction site. Just a thought.