PDA

View Full Version : New Stanley 92 Shoulder Plane

Dave Bonde
10-28-2010, 12:11 PM
I would like to get a shoulder plane. We have a Christmas gift exchange with a $100 limit and the new Stanley 92 shoulder plane fits in that price range. Does anyone have experience with that new Stanley 92 that could comment on it. Thanks Dave

Rob Young
10-29-2010, 11:01 AM
Just to gum-up the works for you, have you looked at Ron Hock's shoulder plane kit? Under the $100 figure and there have been generally positive reviews.

And you get to make it. OK, not from scratch, but still...

Dave Bonde
10-30-2010, 11:47 AM
No I have not, but will check it out. Thanks

Tom Millington
10-30-2010, 5:10 PM
I picked up a Stanley 93 earlier this year. It's not as sexy as the LV but it has done everything I've asked of it. While shopping around I heard some horror stories about current production Stanley planes. Maybe I got lucky. The ability to take the front off and use it as a bullnose plane is an added bonus. For the price I'm satisfied.

Mark Baldwin III
10-30-2010, 6:35 PM
I will second what Rob said for the Hock kit. I got mine recently. It went together over a weekend. I really like it. One nice thing about a kit like that is that you can customize it. The connection to a tool you build, even if from a kit, and a tool you buy is different.

Andrew Pitonyak
10-30-2010, 7:54 PM
I have one and it seems to work fine. I have not used another shoulder plane so I cannot tell you how it compares to others. I own Lie Nielsen planes as well as some Stanley planes. My LN planes generally adjust more easily than my Stanley planes, so, I expect the same for the shoulder plane.

My plane came with what I consider a damaged screw. I checked the store and the other one at Woodcraft had the same defect. I posted about it here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1534199#poststop