PDA

View Full Version : DP or Bandsaw

Marshall Harrison
12-25-2004, 12:34 PM
If you were given a choice for a tool which would you choose, a drill press or a bandsaw? Which has proven the most useful?

I'm not really looking for brand names or the merits of benchtop vs floor models. I just need to know which is the most usefull shop addition between the two.

Merry Christmas

Jim Becker
12-25-2004, 12:38 PM
The answer depends on the kind of work you do... For me it would be the bandsaw but your needs may be different. Perhaps you should consider what your next projects will be and choose based on that.

Marshall Harrison
12-25-2004, 12:54 PM
Thanks Jim.

I've already thought about it along the lines of what you suggested. My current project has a curve on the bottom stretchers of the craftmans table I'm building. I can't really see much need for a drill press right now and the one I had in my old shop didn't get much use.

I'm leanig towards a bandsaw but I'm just looking for some confirmation.

Steve Cox
12-25-2004, 3:06 PM
For me it would be the bandsaw but when I need the drill press, I need the drill press so.....eventually I'd get both but probably the bandsaw first.

Tyler Howell
12-25-2004, 3:11 PM
I asked this same question 15 years ago. A wise co worker asked "what are you going to do with a BS?"The DP crossed all lines of interests and hobbies, where the BS just came into play in the last 4 years.

Byron Trantham
12-25-2004, 5:18 PM
I would go for the drill press; period! :p

Marshall Harrison
12-25-2004, 7:13 PM
Thanks but......

DP = 2
Bandsaw = 2

That leaves me back where I started. :confused:

Maybe I'm just not seeing all of the tings that a DP can be used for.

Gary Bingham
12-25-2004, 7:17 PM
I would get a bandsaw. Then again, most of the things that I would use a drill press for can easily be done with either a bit/brace or a cordless drill. I don't have an easy alternative for most of the things that I would like to have a bandsaw for.

Jamie Buxton
12-25-2004, 9:15 PM
I have both machines, and hardly ever use the drill press.

Jay Knepper
12-25-2004, 9:54 PM
Of course the answers you get will reflect the experience of the writers, and your own needs will reflect what you like to do in the shop. I got a drill press first and was surprised at how useful it turned out to be. When I got a band saw I was amazed that I had gotten by without it.

If you are building jigs or anything that requires precision drilling, cutting out large holes or making wheels, making mortises (without a mortising machine or a router setup), or need to sand inside curves without a spindle sander, you will need a drill press. If you want to resaw or make very much furniture with curves you will need a bandsaw.

Personally I would hate to have to do without either, but not having the bandsaw would hurt a lot worse. If you mainly like to make cabinets then you could probably do without a band saw.

Scott Parks
12-25-2004, 10:06 PM
I would trade my DP any day for a bandsaw. I desparatley want a bandsaw, but I have a drill press that gets used twice a year... Oh, wait, I'll keep my DP and add the BS...

Bill Arnold
12-26-2004, 5:33 AM
Marshall,

I have had both for 10-12 years. I've always used the bandsaw a lot more. These days, I'm using the bandsaw even more because I'm starting to resaw my own veneers. There are times the drill press is the best tool to use, but most of the time I can use a hand drill just as effectively.

If you play your cards right, you can always justify the purchase of a new tool because it would help you move the project along better. :rolleyes:

Regards,

John Shuk
12-26-2004, 10:54 AM
Hard to say I think the bandsaw if you have a few bucks to spend because later you can pick up a useful DP without spending an arm and a leg. Both are useful tools but for flat square work you can get by without a bandsaw but the DP really is helpful. Good question.

Mark Singer
12-26-2004, 11:02 AM
It is nice to have both....I use the bandsaw more...but, when you need a drill press , 2 bandsaws will not do the job:D

W.C. Turner
12-26-2004, 12:23 PM
Get the biggest & most powerful B.S. that you can afford. You won't be sorry!

Steve Jenkins
12-26-2004, 12:47 PM
You already said your old shop had a drill press that didn't get much use. If the curved pieces on your current project are the first use for a bandsaw you have then I'd maybe look at something entirely different. Jointer,planer,etc.?
Many people use a mortising attachment on the drill press for drilling square and rectangular holes.
If you have a few curved pieces to cut they can be done with a jig saw.
(I still hate calling them jig saws. they were always saber saws and a jig saw was mounted in a table sorta like a scroll saw. showing my age I guess.)

Marshall Harrison
12-27-2004, 11:49 AM
Thanks Steve.

I understand your problems with saber saws. Somtimes I think things get renamed just to confuse us older guys. The city has renamed streets and they've even renamed the Gator Bowl to Altell Stadium. What the H@@@ does a phone company have to do with football? Or for that matter what do the Jaguars have to do with football? Couln't even score a point yesterday.

Ok, time to get off my soapbox.

Thanks for the advice. A jointer or planer would make a good alternative though I'm limited in space in my shop. Something to think about.

Maurice Ungaro
12-27-2004, 11:57 AM
Marshall, for what's it worth, I took the course described by Jim: I needed a DP for the most critical current project, so, that came first (lots of M&T jooints that I wanted to be be perfect). Less than a year later, I was in the position to get a deal on a sweet BS - my bride saw the potential projects that I could do with it, and said "Yes".

In my experience, if you get one, you'll get the other. Which ever one you get first, enjoy the heck out of it, and explore it's abilities. Then get the other one, and do the same.

Maurice

Marshall Harrison
12-27-2004, 12:03 PM
Thanks Maurice.

I already have a ShopFox mortiser and a hand held drill so I'm thinking seriously about the BS. My biggest problem is that I jahve a very small area for my shop so unfortunatley I need mostly benchtop tools (though my saw is one of the new CM hybrids). LOLM warned me again yesterday about taking up all of the garage space with tools.

I know some people have done quite well with benchtop tools I'm just a little leary of pulling the trigger on one.

Jerry Olexa
12-27-2004, 12:08 PM
It really depends on your immediate or planned "needs". A friend of mine gave me good advice: Buy tools as you need them (for a specific planned project etc) In any case, enjoy your journey...

Maurice Ungaro
12-27-2004, 12:11 PM
Marshall,
I just got a Delta 14" BS, with the riser block. It's also on a mobile base, so it can scoot to wherever I need it to be. Small footprint with relationship to the functionality. I feel your pain about the space issue. Get a BS anyway.

Maurice

David Fried
12-27-2004, 12:29 PM
The bandsaw was the tool I feared most remembering the town butcher cutting through meat and bone. I got one and learned how safe they are and have found it to be one of my most used tools.

I recently got a drill press but for a long time made due with my hand drill and a little plastic stand. I think the stand is made by General.

I guess my opinion is while it's really nice to have both, I found it easier to substitute for the drill press than the bandsaw. Best of Luck.

Dave Fried

Ellen Benkin
12-27-2004, 1:21 PM
I have a drill press but no bandsaw. I can use a jig saw for much of the work of a bandsaw (not resawing, of course) but nothing can do the work of the drill press. I don't use it often but when I do it is the only tool that will do the work I need done.

Jim Young
12-28-2004, 12:58 AM
I bought the DP first. For my stuff it gets used a whole lot more than the BS.

Kent Cori
12-28-2004, 4:18 PM
I use both frequently but if I had to pick, I'd go with the BS. I can use a hand dril if necessary for most of my DP needs. I just find it very convenient.

Marshall Harrison
12-28-2004, 7:47 PM
OK, I made my decision and purchased the Delta benchtop bandsaw. I set it up this afternoon and it cuts pretty well after I tuned it up some. I realize that it's not a large BS like some of you guys have but it fits in my limited space and my limited budget. I decided on it because I have two projects going that can benefit from it and none planned that needs the DP.

Thanks for you input.