PDA

View Full Version : Have you seen this old advertising sign?

Stephen Tashiro
10-28-2010, 11:34 AM
I was fascinated by an old advertising sign that I once saw in the local ( Las Cruces, NM) Crackerbarrel restaurant. As I recall it had a dark background and it showed a figure of a woman standing. She had white clothes, I think she had an old fashioned blouse and also an apron - the plain kind that an agricultural worker might wear, not a kitchen apron. It was a realistic image, but not detailed or photographic. There weren't many colors in it. It wasn't immediately clear to me what product was being advertised. I think the woman had a sack of the product, but the sign may have only had one word across the top of it and it was a company name that I didn't recognize.

The sign is now gone. I've emailed Crackerbarrel, looked at their website, talked to some of the local managers in the store. I haven't found any one who knows the details of the sign or even knows the details of how the displays in the restaurants are changed. (Some local workers think that they are not changed, but I know that over the years there are variations.)

Let me know if you've also seen such a sign. Admittedly, my description is vague. I've searched Google images in various ways. The companies that sell old signs have many pages of their offerings, but they tend to be very complicated designs, not like the sign I remember.

Lee Schierer
10-28-2010, 12:45 PM
I think I've seen that sign and if I recall it is for bleached flour. I can't recall the brand. After thinking a while maybe the brand is Clabber Girl, but I could be wrong.

Lee

Joe Pelonio
10-28-2010, 5:18 PM
Clabber Girl is still a brand of Baking Powder, we recently used up a box.

Don Bullock
10-28-2010, 5:20 PM
How about this? ---- Clabber Girl Baking Powder

Stephen Tashiro
10-29-2010, 10:27 AM
That sign is not the one. The sign I saw shows the full length of the girls standing figure. There weren't as many lines in the design. Her dress was white and this made it stand out against the background. If she held anything, it was with arms stretched down toward the ground. She looked like she was doing farm or kitchen labor.