PDA

View Full Version : Anyone hate the new WD-40 cans?

Callan Campbell
10-28-2010, 10:21 AM
Is just me, or do the new WD-40 cans with their highly advertised new spray nozzle set-up stink? We've lost the ability to "fog" or actually wide pattern spray anymore with these cans. I only get "stream" with the nozzle folded down, and "STREAM", with the nozzle pulled up for a concentrated regular nozzle spray.:mad: I miss having 2 distinct spray patterns from the spray can for what I wanted, when I wanted it.
Who the heck in marketing had to fool with a perfectly reliable set-up that also tarnished the BRAND, which is not an easy and inexpensive thing to recover these days[read THE Gaps' foray into Brand Changing, and then, umm, back into the regular Trademark that worked for them!:p].
Anyway, share your thoughts...:D

Stephen Tashiro
10-28-2010, 11:16 AM
If you're talking about the can with the top that can flip back and forth between a narrow tube and a somewhat normal spray outlet, I like it. The narrow tubes on WD-40 and other penetrating oil products are useful, but I get about 1 use out of them. Then I lose the little tube that goes with the can. I don't have much occasion to produce a big fog of WD-40.

Gene Howe
10-28-2010, 12:12 PM
I buy WD-40 in gallon cans and transfer it to spray bottles.

Callan Campbell
10-28-2010, 12:14 PM
I buy WD-40 in gallon cans and transfer it to spray bottles. I've done that too, but for normal operations I miss the true fog spray that the old cans had. :o

Callan Campbell
10-28-2010, 12:20 PM
If you're talking about the can with the top that can flip back and forth between a narrow tube and a somewhat normal spray outlet, I like it. The narrow tubes on WD-40 and other penetrating oil products are useful, but I get about 1 use out of them. Then I lose the little tube that goes with the can. I don't have much occasion to produce a big fog of WD-40.
I thought the spray-in-nozzle set-up looked promising like you stated. No more losing the nozzle if you needed it at a later date. The weird thing is that you get a few true wide spray patterns out of the folded down nozzle, then it tends to slowly match the spray with the nozzle folded back up for a stream. That's what drives me nuts. Not sure if the orifice/opening in the wide spray portion is falling apart or getting clogged. Could be a propellant level issue in the can too, like only a full can gives the best results, then things head downhill from there.:rolleyes:

Logan William
10-28-2010, 1:35 PM
I personally like the new cans, allows me to have the straw handy when I want it, but most of the time I reach for the refillable bottle anyway, much cheaper and has decent stream adjustement in the tip.

Zach England
10-28-2010, 2:02 PM

Seriously? A can of wd-40 lasts me about ten years.

Jeff Monson
10-28-2010, 2:02 PM
I'm kind of with Logan on this one, I thought right away it was a stupid idea.....but after using the new can for awhile it is very handy to have the straw available. I do see your point on fogging with it, I find myself using wd40 more for targeted areas.

Callan Campbell
10-28-2010, 3:41 PM
Seriously? A can of wd-40 lasts me about ten years.
He loves his WD, what can you say. :D:D:D

Peter Stahl
10-28-2010, 8:57 PM
Is just me, or do the new WD-40 cans with their highly advertised new spray nozzle set-up stink? We've lost the ability to "fog" or actually wide pattern spray anymore with these cans. I only get "stream" with the nozzle folded down, and "STREAM", with the nozzle pulled up for a concentrated regular nozzle spray.:mad: I miss having 2 distinct spray patterns from the spray can for what I wanted, when I wanted it.
Who the heck in marketing had to fool with a perfectly reliable set-up that also tarnished the BRAND, which is not an easy and inexpensive thing to recover these days[read THE Gaps' foray into Brand Changing, and then, umm, back into the regular Trademark that worked for them!:p].
Anyway, share your thoughts...:D

Maybe this one will work for you (www dot wd40 dot com/products/trigger-pro/). I like the can with the straw. They also have this one (www dot wd40 dot com/products/wd-40-big-blast/).

Aaron Koehl
10-28-2010, 10:11 PM
He loves his WD, what can you say. :D:D:D
...yes, but in the morning coffee? :D

Bruce Boone
10-28-2010, 10:52 PM
I also hate the new cans! You don't get any spray control like before. I wet sand my titanium rings with it, so use it every hour of every day. I can't stand those new cans!!!

Joe Shinall
10-28-2010, 10:56 PM
Sorry, but funny WD story. I play in a 23 and older baseball league and last year we had a guy that was 52 playing with us. I jokingly asked if he needed some WD-40 for his joints while we were stretching. He calmly reached over to his bat bag and pulled out a can and said he had it covered....:o

Tom Esh
10-29-2010, 12:39 AM

+1 on that. I think I've now got a lifetime supply ...for the whole neighborhood. I got fed up with their ridiculous aero valves that are obviously designed to over-dispense. What surpised me once I started using it in a trigger bottle is how little product it actually takes for a given job.

Gene Howe
10-29-2010, 8:43 AM
I've done that too, but for normal operations I miss the true fog spray that the old cans had. :o

If it's fogged, I usually end up wiping off the excess with a rag, anyway.
I generally use WD for rust prevention on shovels and other lawn maintenance tools. In the shop, just for steel that will be stored for a while or, to aid in rust removal/bolt loosening.
My gallon can is at least 5 years old and still over 1/2 full. But, I've noticed a touch of arthritis lately. I Glenfidditch begins to fail me, I might finish off the can sooner than expected.:D

Callan Campbell
10-29-2010, 9:02 AM
If it's fogged, I usually end up wiping off the excess with a rag, anyway.
I generally use WD for rust prevention on shovels and other lawn maintenance tools. In the shop, just for steel that will be stored for a while or, to aid in rust removal/bolt loosening.
My gallon can is at least 5 years old and still over 1/2 full. But, I've noticed a touch of arthritis lately. I Glenfidditch begins to fail me, I might finish off the can sooner than expected.:D
We think alike- I use WD-40 more for just what you posted than anything else. For better rust prevention on higher priced tools, I reach for my Camilia Oil, or Boeshield for all the cast iron tables and like parts. For MY arthritis acting up, it's Celebrex, although using WD-40 wouldn't require a prescription!:p:p:p

Dave Lehnert
10-29-2010, 10:16 AM
That can is new? We sold them in our store for some time now.
WD40 is also available in the standard spray can.

Callan Campbell
10-29-2010, 11:00 AM
That can is new? We sold them in our store for some time now.
WD40 is also available in the standard spray can. Well, not NEW NEW, but New in that they've been out for a couple of years now.:D:D:D
It's taken me that long to fully decide that I hate them....:p:p:p
And the next question is..... are the old style cans still being made, or are they just old stock that will run out and not be made anymore? I'd buy some of the regular style cans if a place stocks them side by side like your store. I tend to only see the new style cans next to the bulk gallon metal cans unless it's the "mini" WD-40 spray bottles along side them. Which, I think is the better candidate for the folding nozzle trick since all the parts on that size spray bottle are much smaller and that much easier to lose.:p

Steve Griffin
10-30-2010, 7:02 PM
I don't own a single can of WD40 and can't think of any reason I would.

This confused product--half solvent, half lubricant--has probably screwed up more machinery than anything else.

It's wonderful for making a radial arm saw move smoothly or a bike chain run well for about 10 minutes before it is throughly gummed up with gunk and starts to prematurely wear out. This amazing product can attract dust and dirt better than any other substance known to man.

This over marketed, over hyped scam called WD40 is completely supported by nice, grandfatherly like gentleman who have been convinced it is good as a lubricant. Actually it has more in common with a solvent, and is better used for dissolving lubricants.

I used to keep a can around for cleaning parts, but realized it is horrible for that as well.

But, I'm glad you guys like it.

-Steve

John Coloccia
10-30-2010, 8:38 PM
For lubricant, if you like WD40, you'll love LPS I and II. The I is dry film, and II is regular oil.

Dave Lehnert
10-30-2010, 11:12 PM
Well, not NEW NEW, but New in that they've been out for a couple of years now.:D:D:D
It's taken me that long to fully decide that I hate them....:p:p:p
And the next question is..... are the old style cans still being made, or are they just old stock that will run out and not be made anymore? I'd buy some of the regular style cans if a place stocks them side by side like your store. I tend to only see the new style cans next to the bulk gallon metal cans unless it's the "mini" WD-40 spray bottles along side them. Which, I think is the better candidate for the folding nozzle trick since all the parts on that size spray bottle are much smaller and that much easier to lose.:p
If you want to fog with it use the "BIG BLAST CAN" http://www.wd40.com/products/wd-40-big-blast/

http://theconsumerlink.com/imagesEdp/WD40/p81501b.jpg

Bill Huber
10-30-2010, 11:47 PM
I don't own a single can of WD40 and can't think of any reason I would.

This confused product--half solvent, half lubricant--has probably screwed up more machinery than anything else.

It's wonderful for making a radial arm saw move smoothly or a bike chain run well for about 10 minutes before it is throughly gummed up with gunk and starts to prematurely wear out. This amazing product can attract dust and dirt better than any other substance known to man.

This over marketed, over hyped scam called WD40 is completely supported by nice, grandfatherly like gentleman who have been convinced it is good as a lubricant. Actually it has more in common with a solvent, and is better used for dissolving lubricants.

I used to keep a can around for cleaning parts, but realized it is horrible for that as well.

But, I'm glad you guys like it.

-Steve

I am with you 100%, that stuff is krap IMHO.

I use Tri-Flo for most light oiling and things like that.