PDA

View Full Version : My Latest "New" Plane

Tom LaRussa
12-25-2004, 11:46 AM
I wouldn't want Tyler to feel too lonely as he scrubs away at his Great Grand-Dad's #5, so here are some pics of a #5 I just acquired (really cheap) off eBay.

That last pic is a doozy, no?

Jim Dunn
12-25-2004, 12:40 PM
You could leave it rough like that and use it as a piece of sand paper :) Save a lot of work

Tyler Howell
12-25-2004, 3:20 PM
You win Tom! I think that is in worse shape than my dear Ole Great Grand Dad's #5.

Charles McKinley
12-25-2004, 6:56 PM
Tom,

How much did they pay you to take that off of their hands???? That is one rough plane.

Alan Turner
12-26-2004, 7:09 AM
Looks like you might be in for a bit of aerobic fetteling. Good luck.
Alan

John Dingman
12-26-2004, 9:14 AM
Tom,

Not to rain on your parade or anything, but I believe that plane is beyond hope. The sole is eaten up if that picture is accurate. From what I can see the sole is pitted something awful. I am not trying to be critical of your new acquisition, just trying to be honest so you don't get your hopes up too high. In the picture below you will see 6 (six) No. 5 Stanleys on the second shelf to the left. All of them purchased off ebay. Not a one of them is worth a dime because of pitting and rust damage that I was unable to see in the pictures. I hope you can prove me wrong. But you are in for a ton of work:)

http://www.johnswoodshop.us/Images/Work%20Bench%20Cabinet%20002.jpg

Again, I am not trying to be critical, just trying to be honest with you.

John

Herb Blair
12-26-2004, 9:14 AM
My advice is to sell it for scrap.

Tom LaRussa
12-28-2004, 1:30 PM
Well, you guys are prolly right about this old #5 being hopeless, but I'm a hopeless romantic, so I'm taking a crack at rehabing it anyhow. (Besides, if worse comes to worst I'll sell the frog, blade, and breaker to recoup what I paid for it -- which was only $15 including shipping.)

So, here I go again with my hi-tech brazing setup...

Jim Dunn
12-28-2004, 5:54 PM
Keep us informed on your progress please. You got more guts than I do trying to braise that thing, my luck it would crack immediately :(

Tom LaRussa
12-28-2004, 9:25 PM
Keep us informed on your progress please. You got more guts than I do trying to braise that thing, my luck it would crack immediately :(
No guts required. Not much that can be done with this puppy until that sole is filled in somehow, so nothing much to lose. :D

Speaking of which, I cooled it down nice and slow and the brazing peeled off like masking tape. :mad: :(

Boyd Gathwright
12-29-2004, 12:21 PM
Hi John,

.... Your point of view I feel is correct. I personally would prefer to be told “THAT'S THE WAY IT IS”. I know this is tough for some people here and there is a LOT of sugar coating that goes on here at the creek at times. With that said, the subject matter can and should, like you said, be presented in as palatable way and not hit the person over the head with a dump truck. Your point of view is what I would expect and would anticipate from anyone especially here at the creek.

Just my two cents and thanks ;).

Boyd

Tom,

Not to rain on your parade or anything, but I believe that plane is beyond hope. The sole is eaten up if that picture is accurate. From what I can see the sole is pitted something awful. I am not trying to be critical of your new acquisition, just trying to be honest so you don't get your hopes up too high. In the picture below you will see 6 (six) No. 5 Stanleys on the second shelf to the left. All of them purchased off ebay. Not a one of them is worth a dime because of pitting and rust damage that I was unable to see in the pictures. I hope you can prove me wrong. But you are in for a ton of work:)

http://www.johnswoodshop.us/Images/Work%20Bench%20Cabinet%20002.jpg

Again, I am not trying to be critical, just trying to be honest with you.

John

Charles McKinley
12-29-2004, 11:33 PM
Hi Tom,

If you are experimenting how about filling the pits with epoxy?

I think it would take more that $15 of my labor to get that blade and frog into salable condition. A No. 5 Stanley isn't collectable enought to get that kind of money from parts, at least not around here. I picked up a nice user with light surface rust for $5 the other day.

Is there pitting on the back of the blade? From the picture I can see that a careful trip to the grinder or belt sander is needed. If there is pitting on the back I don't think it would be worth the work of sharpening it.

Good Luck

John Dingman
12-30-2004, 12:31 AM
No guts required. Not much that can be done with this puppy until that sole is filled in somehow, so nothing much to lose. :D Speaking of which, I cooled it down nice and slow and the brazing peeled off like masking tape. :mad: :(Tom, if you can figure out what Type that plane is and you can get the frog and all the other parts to work, I have a No. 5 plane body that you can have if you want to pay the shipping. Let me know.

John

Chris Padilla
12-30-2004, 3:41 PM
Speaking of which, I cooled it down nice and slow and the brazing peeled off like masking tape. :mad: :(
Pics?? :D :D

Tom LaRussa
12-31-2004, 6:46 PM
Hi John,

.... Your point of view I feel is correct. I personally would prefer to be told “THAT'S THE WAY IT IS”. I know this is tough for some people here and there is a LOT of sugar coating that goes on here at the creek at times. With that said, the subject matter can and should, like you said, be presented in as palatable way and not hit the person over the head with a dump truck. Your point of view is what I would expect and would anticipate from anyone especially here at the creek.

Just my two cents and thanks ;).

Boyd

Boyd,

You and John are both right, in the general sense.

But, in this particular case I'm just playing around with this thing for the practice as much as anything else. (I already have a nicely fettled #5 user.)

I have one of those deep emersion type learning styles. In order to learn woodworking I feel the need to learn as much as possible about tools. Hence whenever possible I buy old ones and either fix them up or at least figure out why I can't fix them up.

It's a life-long habit of mine that I've given up trying to break. But I still feel bad that I never managed to get the parents' typewriter working again after I took it apart when I was about 5. Oh, and the alarm clock(s), and the record player, and ... um ... you get the idea. :o

Tom LaRussa
12-31-2004, 6:50 PM
If you are experimenting how about filling the pits with epoxy?
You must be a mind reader!

That's what I wound up doing. A few layers of JB Weld, a few minutes on the stationary belt sander, and that puppy is good as -- well I won't say new, but it is flat.

I think it would take more that $15 of my labor to get that blade and frog into salable condition.
Heck, you're just not using enough caustic chemicals and burning enough electrons! :D

A No. 5 Stanley isn't collectable enought to get that kind of money from parts, at least not around here. I picked up a nice user with light surface rust for $5 the other day.
:eek:

Tom LaRussa
12-31-2004, 6:50 PM
Pics?? :D :D
Sorry Chris, I missed the magic moment. :(

Tom LaRussa
01-01-2005, 1:06 PM
Tom, if you can figure out what Type that plane is and you can get the frog and all the other parts to work, I have a No. 5 plane body that you can have if you want to pay the shipping. Let me know.
Hi John,

That's a very kind offer, and I never look a gift horse in the mouth! But I really don't need this plane -- I'm just messing around with fixing them up. But the frog cleaned up pretty decently with a trip to the metal brush thingie on the drill press, (see pics below), so if you really have absolutely no use for the extra body, I'll take it.

I'm pretty sure that mine is a type 15. I'll snap a pic of the frog seat in a little while and post it.

:)

Tom

John Dingman
01-01-2005, 3:06 PM
Hi John, That's a very kind offer, and I never look a gift horse in the mouth! But I really don't need this plane -- I'm just messing around with fixing them up. But the frog cleaned up pretty decently with a trip to the metal brush thingie on the drill press, (see pics below), so if you really have absolutely no use for the extra body, I'll take it. I'm pretty sure that mine is a type 15. I'll snap a pic of the frog seat in a little while and post it. :)TomTom, That frog cleaned up NICE! I believe that I have more than one that will fit that frog but just in case a pic of the frog seat on the plane body will help. Send me your address in pm and as soon as I see the pic I;ll get ya one. If the rest of the parts clean up as nice as the frog, you will have a very nice user!

Glad to Help,
John

Corvin Alstot
01-01-2005, 5:34 PM
You must be a mind reader!

That's what I wound up doing. A few layers of JB Weld, a few minutes on the stationary belt sander, and that puppy is good as -- well I won't say new
Tom/
I am not sure why you need the bottom smooth without pitting. The plane bottom justs needs to be flat with a smooth surface at the toe, heel, and just in front of the blade. A tight mouth and a smooth surface right in front of the blade and that plane should be able to take nice tight shavings.

Tom LaRussa
01-01-2005, 8:07 PM
Tom, That frog cleaned up NICE! I believe that I have more than one that will fit that frog but just in case a pic of the frog seat on the plane body will help. Send me your address in pm and as soon as I see the pic I;ll get ya one. If the rest of the parts clean up as nice as the frog, you will have a very nice user!

Glad to Help,
John
Hi John,

Here's a pic of the frog seat.

Tom LaRussa
01-01-2005, 8:08 PM
Tom/
I am not sure why you need the bottom smooth without pitting. The plane bottom justs needs to be flat with a smooth surface at the toe, heel, and just in front of the blade. A tight mouth and a smooth surface right in front of the blade and that plane should be able to take nice tight shavings.
Corvin,

You are correct. But in the present case the toe is so pitted that it needs to be built up all the way across its width in order to be coplaner with the heel and the front of the mouth. :(

John Dingman
01-02-2005, 2:07 PM
Hi John, Here's a pic of the frog seat. Tom, I think I have a couple of those. I'll pick ya out a nice one and send it along to ya. Shoot me your snail mail address via a pm or send it to me via email.

John

Corvin Alstot
01-02-2005, 2:16 PM
Corvin, You are correct. But in the present case the toe is so pitted that it needs to be built up all the way across its width in order to be coplaner with the heel and the front of the mouth. :(
Makes sense now. Sounds like you have it under control. Are you going to re-japan the plane once you have the bottom completed, or will this just be a user in appearance.

Tom LaRussa
01-02-2005, 5:23 PM
Are you going to re-japan the plane once you have the bottom completed, or will this just be a user in appearance.
Actually, I'm getting a "new" body from John D, (see post just before yours), who has one he doesn't need.

So I'll probably use this bottom as a test bed for japanning recipes and such.

Dave Anderson NH
01-02-2005, 9:22 PM
Hi Tom=

I wouldn't swear to it, but it looks like a type 11 body in your last picture.

Corvin Alstot
01-02-2005, 9:45 PM
I wouldn't swear to it, but it looks like a type 11 body in your last picture.
Dave, it looks like a type 10 body. The type 11 body should have three patent dates. But I can't see the text that well on the photo. But that should not matter for the frog and other parts.

Tom LaRussa
01-03-2005, 10:56 AM
Dave, it looks like a type 10 body. The type 11 body should have three patent dates. But I can't see the text that well on the photo. But that should not matter for the frog and other parts.
Whatever it is, I'm pretty sure it's not a type 15, which is what I mistakenly called it in an earlier post. :o

John Dingman
01-03-2005, 12:07 PM
Dave, it looks like a type 10 body. The type 11 body should have three patent dates. But I can't see the text that well on the photo. But that should not matter for the frog and other parts.Dave is right! It is a type 11 plane body. The indent with the screw hole gives it away. Type 9 and 10 didn't have those.

John

John Dingman
01-03-2005, 12:19 PM
Tom,

Check your private messages.

Have a great day!
John