PDA

View Full Version : We wuz robbed

Rodne Gold
10-28-2010, 4:49 AM
4 guys followed my accountant back from the bank , had withdrawn cash for my low level staff with no bank accts. Walked in 5 mins after he got back , shop full of customers , one guy drew a 9mm and went into his office , held the gun to his head and demanded the cash ($2k)
No one hurt , no shots fired , cops on hand in 10 mins We noted the getaway vehicle's make and tags

Other 3 distracted my staff while this was going on.
We have acess controil , guys claimed they were from a soccer club wanting to buy trophies.
I told my staff that eft is now only way to pay , if they dont open accts , we will give em a cash cheque and they can stand in the bank waiting for money.
We think this is an inside job via the bank , its not uncommon here for tellers or ppl in the bank to advise others who has withdrawn what.
At least the cops responded well , fingerprint guys , detectives , videographers , constables and even trauma councillor all on the scene , found the getaway vehicle and arrested the driver , but the crooks stole another vehicle similar and switched plates with an innocent guy...
In South Africa , this type heist is common , but mostly ppl die - thank goodness we are just a statistic but not a fatal one...
I gotta get outa this place - wild west here - we going the way the rest of Africa is - a s---hole governed by savage nepotic mercenary tinpot dictators.....
Anyone got a job for me in the States?

JohnT Fitzgerald
10-28-2010, 6:27 AM
Rodne, thank good ness no one was hurt! going to all EFT or cheques (is that the same thing as a check? :rolleyes: ) is a good idea.

Jiten Patel
10-28-2010, 6:59 AM
Rodne,

Glad to hear no one got hurt, Money comes and goes, but life...well you only get one shot at that.

Sounds pretty rough, but going forward, limit the cash hey.

Dan Hintz
10-28-2010, 7:03 AM
Dang, Rodney, that's horrible... as you said, though, at least no one was hurt. I only converse (indirectly, like through these types of forums) with a few people from Africa, but I have always wanted to believe the nasty violent stuff us 'mericans see on TV shows about African gangs and such is just that, a story in someone's movie. I'm still holding out, despite stories like this.

Oh, and I'd be happy to clear off some desk space for you... 50/50 partners, too :D I'm <20 miles from two major cities, our nation's capital Washington D.C. and Baltimore, so there's plenty of work to be had :) I wouldn't mind getting someone experienced in here...

Belinda Barfield
10-28-2010, 7:11 AM
Wow, Rodne, that's terrible! Like others, I'm glad no one was harmed. Are things really so bad there that you would consider moving to the States? That would be a pretty major move I would think. Like Dan, I just didn't realize that what we see on the news here isn't blown out of proportion and isolated incidents.

Jiten Patel
10-28-2010, 7:21 AM
And why the States....how about London....the cost of living isnt exactly cheap, and it rains a lot....oh wait, now I know why the States!! :D

David Weaver
10-28-2010, 8:04 AM
Anyone got a job for me in the States?

You could probably find something here if you found a way to get in and you're willing to work.

A buddy of mine lived in south africa (originally from the UK) for quite a while after college, but he had the same itch as you and moved here about 15 years ago. He loves it here.

Mark Ross
10-28-2010, 8:19 AM
I recommend a state with open carry permits. EVERYONE can wear a sidepiece. Maybe Texas or Florida. Climate would be about the same.

Peter Meacham
10-28-2010, 8:22 AM
Rodney

I too am glad no one got physically hurt.

With your talent, knowledge and business savvy, you could set up shop anywhere and do well.

Of course, we have our share of crime in the USA as well as anywhere else in the world.

Regards,

Pete

Dee Gallo
10-28-2010, 8:39 AM
Rodney, so sorry you had to go through an experience like that! It can happen anywhere, though, these days. It sounds like you got some good support from your police, which is a help. I'm like Dan, I always wondered how true the "stories" are that we hear about the corruption and wild state of affairs in Africa.

America is a great country, you'd be able to find a place you like here, but that's a big move and you'd be giving up some of the things you love to come here.

:) dee

Scott Challoner
10-28-2010, 9:24 AM
Glad nobody got hurt.
You can move here to Wisconsin but remember, we're just starting winter here in the Northern Hemisphere.
You can come work for me, but I can only pay you in beer. :)

greg lindsey
10-28-2010, 9:35 AM
Rodne, I feel for ya, having been robbed myself once. Glad you and your staff are OK. My nieghbor of 22 years is from South Africa, if your half as fun as him, you'd surely be a great guy. Come to TX we get to carry our guns with pride, in fact one of our local banks was just on the news, the bank president wanted all his gun carrying customers to bring thier guns in the bank with them, "Beware Bad Guys" :D. Plus with your knowledge I'm sure we can find some work for you. Buisness here is booming.

Tom Bull
10-28-2010, 10:25 AM
Bad things could happen anywhere, but it is wise to play the odds. Those stories that start out "he was a great kid, just having some fun at a club at 3:00 AM" say to me choices have consequences. I have friends in Kenya, and the stories from there are incredible. Wait until the emotions are under control and then choose wisely. In spite of any other problems, the US is still a nation of laws based on equality, and that is a great reason to be here.

Martin Boekers
10-28-2010, 11:35 AM
Dang! It seems like more and more often we end up saying (if we are lucky enough)
"it could of been worse."

Having been carjacked myself at gun point a few months back, I understand
what it means to have a gun pointed at you!:eek:. I too was "lucky"
as it could of been much worse, just lost my car and a few hundred dollars.

You have incredible talents and understanding what it takes to thrive
in this industry. You'll do good wherever you land.

I hope your employees understand that carrying cash makes them vulnerable.
They are better of with a fund transfer or a check as they become a "target" themselves!

If you make it stateside to check things out let us know, I'm sure whatever
area your in someone here at the "creek" will be close
and may even buy you dinner!:D

Marty

Jeanette Brewer
10-28-2010, 12:49 PM
the bank president wanted all his gun carrying customers to bring thier guns in the bank with them, "Beware Bad Guys" .

Greg, Sounds like my kind of bank!

Rodney, There's plenty of room for y'all in Texas! Come on over!

Joe Flores
10-28-2010, 1:32 PM
Sorry Rodney,
But the most important thing was spared.
By the way Texas is concealed carry.
I know:D

Rodne Gold
10-28-2010, 2:02 PM
Thanks all for the votes of sympathy and employment offers..

As much as I would love to be patriotic and say this is the land of milk and honey - its more like "milk your money"
The level of savagery , lack of respect for life and corruption is unbeleivable. We are still the better end of Africa ..go north from here , it just gets worse. The stories you see and hear might be a bit melodramatic but not by much...
I live in a quite upmarket supposedly secure suburb, very much racially mixed , I have an armed guard , armed response , security gates on all perimeter doors and windows , a secure inscape area in which we sleep , 3 dogs one of which is a trained attack dog , 10ft high walls with spikes , cctv , ubersophisticated alarm system , external beams , sleep armed and still dont feel "safe".
If you do have a home invasion, it more than often results in torture , death , rape and so on.

I would love to emigrate from here , most likely not to the US albeit it would be great for my v8 muscle car passion, but most likely to Aussie where I have family. Problem is that I cannot for various reasons , I am too old , have 30+ staff I support , have some health issues , have an aged mom in a frail care facility and me being the only son/child here , would struggle to liquidate my assets and even then would have little money in $terms , but most of all , I do not have the energy to start afresh. My 14 yr old kid , on the other hand , WILL be encouraged to emigrate when she gets old enough...
As well you know , getting a green card or an aussie emigration visa or permanent residence in Western countries is pretty difficult despite all the above..
As an aside , In this case , drawing or having a gun would have not helped at all and could have resulted in a much worse senario.

Dan Hintz
10-28-2010, 2:19 PM
I live in a quite upmarket supposedly secure suburb, very much racially mixed , I have an armed guard , armed response , security gates on all perimeter doors and windows , a secure inscape area in which we sleep , 3 dogs one of which is a trained attack dog , 10ft high walls with spikes , cctv , ubersophisticated alarm system , external beams , sleep armed and still dont feel "safe".
:eek:

The only people who have that kind of setup in the states are high-profile actors and CEOs... and they rarely (i.e, never, unless they're the paranoid type who expect World War III any day now) have/use safe rooms on a daily basis. The few that put them in are there for that odd stalker-ish type of nutjob... I believe Bill Gates has one, and I vaguely recall a story about a reporter accidentally pressing the "save me" button in Tom Cruise's pad thinking it was a light switch.

IOW, I think you would feel significantly safer this side of the pond, despite the fact that we obviously still have crime.

Bill Cunningham
10-28-2010, 10:19 PM
FBI stats say that the U.S. Violent crime and homicide rates have dropped significantly over the past 10 years, and are now at the levels they were in the 60's. The credit for that may be the proliferation of CCW states. Canada on the other hand has crime rates that are 300 times higher than they were in the 60's. Our gun control laws have gone the other way. Does 'that' tell you anything? :mad:

Robert Walters
10-29-2010, 12:18 AM
We think this is an inside job via the bank , its not uncommon here for tellers or ppl in the bank to advise others who has withdrawn what.

Rodney,

At least here in America our banks give you written notice 30 days in advance of robbing you and a phone number to call with any questions!

Glad nobody was hurt. Maybe that was just natures way of suggesting an Australian branch?

Jim Coffee
10-29-2010, 1:14 AM
Hi Rodne...

I've been wondering about you lately...I have not noticed you here.

You kind of casually mentioned relocating. Those of us who "know you" via this board have a high opinion of you and your talents (I hope I am speaking comfortably for others).

Are you serious about relocating? If so, can you be more specific about what you are looking for?

As I read your posts (in the past) I think about what it might be like to live in South Africa...what it would be like to run a business there...what life would be like. I've always concluded that you seem fit for being there...kind of like "you get it", and you have energy, and a good brain, and are clever.

As others have mentioned you could do well anywhere. Are you serious about relocating? If you really are I suspect you have planted a seed that can grow. Dan has already offered you a 50/50 partnership (I think). He is a smart guy.

So, glad that you are OK. And tell us more.

Ovidiu Predescu
10-29-2010, 1:23 AM
As well you know , getting a green card or an aussie emigration visa or permanent residence in Western countries is pretty difficult despite all the above..

Rodne, sorry to hear what happened. I grew up under a communist regime and although the situation was not as bad as you describe it, the constant terror was omnipresent.

Emigrating to US can be easy if you have the money are willing to open a company or invest in a company here. Look for the E-2 visa requirements:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-2_visa

Once you're here, a good emigration lawyer can put you on the track for green card.

Good luck!

Andrea Weissenseel
10-29-2010, 5:12 AM
Oh my Godness, Rodney - I'm shocked. Good to hear though that no one got physically hurt.

Andrea

Belinda Barfield
10-29-2010, 7:40 AM
Wow, Rodney, you just reminded me why I should be thankful every day that I live in the States.

Tom Delaney
10-29-2010, 2:43 PM
Rodney - as everyone else has said, be very thankful that nobody was hurt. Someone else mentioned, make your decision carefully and with a little emotion as you can. In the meantime, another suggestion, we have started paying our staff with Bank Cards (like prepaid debit cards) instead of ETF's because of bank fees - don't know if they are available in your neck of the woods but until you can find your little bit of heaven, keep as much in your pockes as possible, not in the bank that is obviously not your friend!

Kathy Madan
10-29-2010, 3:45 PM
Rodne,
I am sure you would do well wherever you go, should you decide to. I can't imagine living with that feeling of threat everywhere I go. Glad things did not turn out worse.

Kay Bengtson
10-29-2010, 6:16 PM
Your experience is chilling! I too am very glad that you were not hurt.

Kay

David Hartstone
10-29-2010, 8:45 PM
Hey Rodney

How about New Zealand?

Rodne Gold
10-30-2010, 3:16 AM
Much as I would like to , the reality is that it is impossible for me to leave right now or most likely ever unless the doo-doo really hits the fan here and we have to flee..NZ was a consideration some years ago.

If I did go , what I would like to do is pack up all my stock , fixtures ,machinery, displays etc in a few containers and hit the ground running wherever I go , would be better than selling the business and buying/starting new over there - but what happens to my 30 odd staff?
I've been to the US a few times , NY, LA , Calif, Hawaii (only place I liked enough to stay) , best place to me in my travels was Singapore - clean and safe - but humid...
The worst place I ever have been was Vietnam - filthy , crowded , mad traffic but SOOOO cheap -- bought 4 door sized black laquer panels/screens there , inlaid with mother of pearl , exceptional workmanship for $40 for ALL 4!!!!
I was on a cruise liner , laundering shirts was $2.50 - on the quayside they were selling rip off polo ralph lauren shirts for $1 each - bought 15 and wore em on the rest of the cruise and gave em to my cabin steward when I went home.... Dunno if they would have lasted more than 1 or 2 wears anyway...

James & Zelma Litzmann
07-30-2011, 10:23 PM
Rodney,

I too am so glad nobody was hurt. My heart breaks to once again be reminded of how some people live with threats on their lives "everyday", as a way of life, not an exception but as their normal everyday life. You are so talented and such a business man I can't imagine you not being able to make it where ever you go. However, when it involves responsibilities, with such as a parent, I understand completely why you can't just up and leave. In case I've never mentioned it you as such a wonderful asset to us all here on the forum and I would like to take the time to say, "Thank you" and again I am glad you or no one else was hurt.

"Zelma"

Craig Matheny
07-30-2011, 10:50 PM
Rodne glad to hear every one is ok

Ken Fitzgerald
07-30-2011, 10:53 PM
You folks do realize this thread is from last October don't you?

Ray Mighells
07-31-2011, 6:42 PM
Rodne, glad all is well, sounds like your leaders studied Russian and American politicians and adopted the worse of both. You would be welcome to my place. I will be moving to Florida in the near future and you could make a deal I couldn't refuse.

Ernest Kerr
08-02-2011, 2:44 PM
Florida is concealed carry -- not open.

I recommend a state with open carry permits. EVERYONE can wear a sidepiece. Maybe Texas or Florida. Climate would be about the same.