PDA

View Full Version : Couple of boxes I did before visiting my son's place

Leo Van Der Loo
10-28-2010, 4:10 AM
I was asked for some smaller turnings to bring along to Thunderbay while passing through to my son's place.
As usual short on time, I managed to make some pictures but not enough time to post the pictures, these pieces and another dozen stayed in Thunderbay :)

Figured Maple box

165686 165687 165688

Black Cherry spoon

165689 165690

Rock Elm box, the lid is not sitting at the right spot I noticed now (too late) the grain lined up quite well, but not perfect.

165691 165692 165694

Steve Vaughan
10-28-2010, 6:28 AM
Leo, those are great looking! Love the figure but I'm gonna say the elm is my favorite.

John Keeton
10-28-2010, 6:37 AM
Leo, really clean work! They are all very nice, but my vote goes to the maple. I just like the form of it quite well, and the wood is beautiful.

Did you use the polymerized tung oil on these?

Michelle Rich
10-28-2010, 6:49 AM
I like the little scoop, and the elm. real nice

Roger Chandler
10-28-2010, 8:03 AM
Good Stuff, Leo!

Doug W Swanson
10-28-2010, 8:20 AM
Leo,

Your work amazes me. You can make even the simplest things look beautiful....

I really like the spoon but they are all nice!

Steve Schlumpf
10-28-2010, 8:59 AM
Very nice work on everything Leo! They all have good form but I find the grain of the Elm really stands out!

Hope your trip went well!

Ted Evans
10-28-2010, 9:00 AM
Great work Leo, I keep going back to the shape of the Maple, cannot explain why, but I really like it.

Thom Sturgill
10-28-2010, 9:53 AM
Very nice Leo. I'm hard pressed to say which I like the best, but probably the Elm.

Bernie Weishapl
10-28-2010, 11:45 AM
Great looking pieces Leo. Elm looks beautiful.

Harvey Ghesser
10-28-2010, 12:05 PM
Beautiful work....again!:D

Bill Bolen
10-28-2010, 1:21 PM
Beautiful pieces Leo. I love them all and think your son is going to be very happy! Does he turn too...if not how does he resist after getting gifs of this level?...Bill..

Leo Van Der Loo
10-28-2010, 9:22 PM
Leo, those are great looking! Love the figure but I'm gonna say the elm is my favorite.

Thanks for commenting Steve, the Rock Elm wood is good looking, I had problems with it warping more than just about any wood I've turned, and so I wasn't sure making a box was a good idea for that wood, it seems to be stable when it is dry though, I'm sure I will hear about it if it isn't :)

Leo, really clean work! They are all very nice, but my vote goes to the maple. I just like the form of it quite well, and the wood is beautiful.

Did you use the polymerized tung oil on these?

Thank you John :), I wanted to get more from the figure in the wood, and so added some curves, the figure in the wood becomes more prominent, anything else would take away from it IMO, affirmative on the Tung, short on time it got only two coats and carnauba polished on :)

I like the little scoop, and the elm. real nice

Thanks for your comment Michelle, I made a few of these, and LOML loves these in her kitchen, though the handles are oriented a little different, to make it easier to use them in her large jars :)

Good Stuff, Leo!

Thank you for commenting Roger :D

Leo,

Your work amazes me. You can make even the simplest things look beautiful....

I really like the spoon but they are all nice!

Thanks Doug :), Doug I keep saying that if you love what you are doing, it does show, and I try to keep it that way ;)

Great work Leo, I keep going back to the shape of the Maple, cannot explain why, but I really like it.

Thanks for commenting Ted :), I was quite pleased with the outcome, now someone else is happy with it:D

Sean Hughto
10-28-2010, 9:44 PM
Really cool pieces. That spoon intigues me. Is a particular use for the base like part at the end of the handle? Is that ergonomic or to stand it up or just decorative or ...?

Leo Van Der Loo
10-28-2010, 9:49 PM
Very nice work on everything Leo! They all have good form but I find the grain of the Elm really stands out!

Hope your trip went well!

Thank you Steve :D, the Rock Elm is quite a nice wood, though you wouldn't want to have to split it for firewood, that stuff is both hard and though and stringy, no wonder the British wanted it for their Navy ships to be build from.

Trip was nice with good weather, just a little late for the fall colors, still the grand views while traveling the great north country makes it a joy any time of year.

Sold a whole bunch of turnings, to a couple that has lived here close by but moved to Thunderbay, they have accumulated quite a collection of my turnings, and it is a joy to meet them and see some of the pieces they have from me, funny how you forget the things you've turned, but the memories come right back when you see them again :).

Very nice Leo. I'm hard pressed to say which I like the best, but probably the Elm.

Thanks Thom :D, just like me, I think like them all ;)

Great looking pieces Leo. Elm looks beautiful.

Thanks for commenting Bernie :D

Beautiful work....again!:D

Thank you Harvey....... again :D ;)

Beautiful pieces Leo. I love them all and think your son is going to be very happy! Does he turn too...if not how does he resist after getting gifs of this level?...Bill..

Thanks for commenting Bill, Oh my son didn't get any of them, they wend to a collector of my turnings in Thunderbay, and no my son doesn't turn, he is very busy looking after 5 children and a MD wife, while also building a new house that he designed and is building (contractors doing the work)

Here's a picture from the to be living room/dining area and view of their property/lake.

Leo Van Der Loo
10-28-2010, 10:06 PM
Really cool pieces. That spoon intrigues me. Is a particular use for the base like part at the end of the handle? Is that ergonomic or to stand it up or just decorative or ...?

Thanks Sean, the handle end is mostly for ergonomics, it makes it easier to hang onto and maneuver it, LOML wants the handles angle a little different, as she uses them in her large glass jars, if you look at it, it seems wrong, but if you look at how we hold our hands relaxed the angle is just right with the scoop horizontal, anyway she's the boss so that's how they get done :D

John Keeton
10-29-2010, 8:15 AM
Here's a picture from the to be living room/dining area and view of their property/lake.

165741WOW!!! What a view!! Beautiful setting, Leo! Your son did a wonderful job of site placement to take advantage of their property and the lake view.

Jim Burr
10-29-2010, 9:36 AM
Put my vote in for the Elm. I'm a big fan of simple boxes and that one really works for me.
Did you get my rental application for a room at your new abode?:D

Leo Van Der Loo
10-29-2010, 2:22 PM
WOW!!! What a view!! Beautiful setting, Leo! Your son did a wonderful job of site placement to take advantage of their property and the lake view.

Yes John he found a very good location to build his house, he has about 160 acres with two good sized lakes at both southern corners of his property, this is close enough to town for his wife to drive to the clinic when on call, about a mile as the crow flies, but he had to build a 1 km long driveway, it will be a chore clearing the snow I think, but the view is gorgeous all around.
Also bear moose deer wolf grouse partridge, seen heard and tracks showing right there, beaver just rebuild an old dam, will be a good skating rink this winter, yes it is a nice place to be :)

There are better lakes for fishing all around but the kids can fish right there and swim as well .

Leo Van Der Loo
10-29-2010, 2:32 PM
Put my vote in for the Elm. I'm a big fan of simple boxes and that one really works for me.
Did you get my rental application for a room at your new abode?:D

Thanks Jim :), oh not my new abode Jim, too much work for me to take on, I'm looking at going smaller than I am now :)