PDA

View Full Version : Gluing cork to tile

Dee Gallo
10-27-2010, 6:20 PM
I am making some lasertile pieces I'd like to back with thin cork. Does anyone know of the right glue to use for these two things? Previously, I've used contact cement to attach cork to paper or cardboard. But the back of the lasertile has the usual grid for mortar, so do I need something thicker to fill the voids? The cork I have is wafer thin. A thread search turned up nothing relevant.

I'm thinking maybe carpenter's glue? But since neither of these is wood, maybe that's a dumb idea.

If you have any experience here, I'd really appreciate hearing from you!

thanks, dee

Chuck Stone
10-27-2010, 6:49 PM
perhaps a glue for veneer? You put it on each surface, wait a half hour or
so and then mate the two. Feels like it won't stick until it does .. then I
doubt it will ever come apart.

Robert Walters
10-27-2010, 6:57 PM
Since you have to fill the gaps, what about using latex bathroom caulk?

It's not that expensive, could give it a test.
Just make sure not to make it too thick that it takes forever to cure/dry.

Joe Pelonio
10-27-2010, 7:43 PM
I use the laser to cut circles from the cork, and place it into the corners inside the squares, then just about anything will work, though I prefer
E6000 adhesive.

Randy Walker
10-27-2010, 11:46 PM
Dee
Several years ago I used standard hot melt glue to stick ceramic tile to cork for a pinup board. It worked great and as far as I know they are still on there.

Randy Walker

Robert Walters
10-28-2010, 12:02 AM
FWIW...

I have seen hot melt glue not adhere too well to concrete,
especially with thermal expansion/contraction.

Anthony Welch
10-28-2010, 12:05 AM
I've used Gorilla Glue for the same reason. It expands x3 to fill voids.
If any oozes out the sides, leave it alone and trim when it dries.

Anthony

Alexander Stein
10-28-2010, 9:26 AM
Car Bondo would could work well. You could sand and smooth it out nice too.

Dee Gallo
10-28-2010, 9:51 AM
Wow, thanks for all the suggestions, you guys! Looks like I've got some experimenting to do...

:) dee

Sandy Henry
10-28-2010, 10:41 AM
Hi Dee, I made 600 of these over a year ago. No reports of cork comming off. I used Elmers wood glue on some & hobby glue from Hobby Lobby on some (looks & smells like typical elmers). Put it on the high ridges only - all 4 outter lines & 2 or 3 inner lines. I lined up & put glue on 10 tiles at a time, & then added cork starting with 1st tile (it was tacky) then stacked them with weight for about 24 hrs.
Good luck! Sandy

Dee Gallo
10-28-2010, 2:39 PM
Hi Dee, I made 600 of these over a year ago. No reports of cork comming off. I used Elmers wood glue on some & hobby glue from Hobby Lobby on some (looks & smells like typical elmers). Put it on the high ridges only - all 4 outter lines & 2 or 3 inner lines. I lined up & put glue on 10 tiles at a time, & then added cork starting with 1st tile (it was tacky) then stacked them with weight for about 24 hrs.
Good luck! Sandy

Thanks a lot, Sandy, that's a really good - and easy - recommendation! I was looking for someone with direct experience, thanks!

:D dee

Robert Walters
10-29-2010, 7:27 AM
Wood Glue roller

www DOT ptreeusa DOT com/glue_products.htm

Mike Null
10-29-2010, 7:33 AM
Dee

Try something like 3M Spray Mount. Use it on both surfaces. It's surprisingly strong.

Dee Gallo
10-29-2010, 9:42 AM
Well, I used Gorilla Superglue, which worked very well, except that the results are UGLY! The raised lines on the backs are not all the way to the outside edge and so the cork does not stick down to the edges and even if I glue it down there the taper looks bad. Not that you can see anything from the top or bottom, but the sides/edges look cheap because you can see the grout holding tabs. So, I am going to try to flock them and see how that looks. Otherwise, I am stuck with the concept of making a thin holder of some type. grrrr.

:mad: dee

Dan Hintz
10-29-2010, 11:18 AM
Dee,

Does the cork have to go all of the way to the edge? If not, I would trim the cork to the outer ridge, leaving a few cm of bare tile underneath. It won't scratch anything it rests on as the cork gives it depth.

Dee Gallo
10-29-2010, 1:39 PM
Yeah, Dan, it would still look like crap. I am now thinking I need to make a small tray, maybe out of black acrylic or wood. The bottom is not as ugly as the sides of the tiles, which are made to hold the mud, but look bad. Perhaps sanding them down....

:confused: dee

Michael Kowalczyk
10-29-2010, 2:45 PM
I use the laser to cut circles from the cork, and place it into the corners inside the squares, then just about anything will work, though I prefer
E6000 adhesive.
Hey Joe,
Man you took the wind out of my sails:(. Early bird gets the worm.

So yes Dee, E6000 is the way to go. I have glued slate, granite, marble, ceramic, and wood to expanded PVC and the only problem was the glue held so good that the slate broke/separated apart on one and the glue held the back of the slate to the PVC. So they got a different brand that did not separate as easily. Glue joint is stronger than product.

Norberto Coutinho
10-29-2010, 3:03 PM
http://www.huntsman.com/advanced_materials/index.cfm?PageID=5865