PDA

View Full Version : Ryan's bed

Mark Singer
12-25-2004, 1:58 AM
Ryan started his bed ...beautiful dovetails....I could not believe....the fit was incredible...thats my boy!:eek:

aurelio alarcon
12-25-2004, 2:57 AM
Looks excelent! Very nice job.

Kirk (KC) Constable
12-25-2004, 3:23 AM
Something's wrong with that picture...there's actually scraps on the floor and stuff laying around the table. What's up with that?! :D

KC

Arnie Grammon
12-25-2004, 8:45 AM
Mark

Looks like you did your job with your son......you should be justifiably proud. We all know raising decent people nowdays isn't for the weak-hearted. Well done.

AG

Mark Singer
12-25-2004, 8:56 AM
Kirk,

Working with ash ish messhey....Ryan Ish like me we are both meshey and still are looking for the losht pizza.:confused:

Something's wrong with that picture...there's actually scraps on the floor and stuff laying around the table. What's up with that?! :D

KC

Karl Laustrup
12-25-2004, 9:05 AM
From your last post, am I to assume you and Ryan have been sampling the egg nog? ;)

Nothing wrong with that Mark. Enjoy the day. Merry Christmas.

It is snowing as I do this, so we will have a white Christmas. :D

Karl

Mark Singer
12-25-2004, 9:20 AM
Karl,

I don't think they are making red egg nog? Nah...It was something else....from right here in CA...a little north ....and to the tasty!

Jim Dunn
12-25-2004, 9:31 AM
Mark.

Don't ya ever sleep Santa' not comming till ya do. :)

Those are beautiful dovetails. It's gotta make you proud to have a son capable of doing that kind of detailed work.

Merry Christmas

Jim Becker
12-25-2004, 12:44 PM
Wow...those are wonderful dovetails. Ryan is doing an awesome job on this project in the Singer "bed are us" shop! Is you daughter next? (Although I believe I remember she already has a nice one...)

BTW, that's really nice ash; beautiful, regular grain.

John Miliunas
12-25-2004, 1:27 PM
Ahhh, so THAT'S what you're talkin' about!:D Well done to both, Ryan AND youself! Like father, like son. He's got a great teacher and now that mentoring can move down another generation! (Well, not just yet, right Ryan?!:D ) Great job and gives me something to shoot for! Looks like I need to give that a try!:) :cool:

Mark Singer
12-26-2004, 10:32 AM
We cut the mortises for the short rails....really a tough sticky wood. We used the mortiser , a router and jig, and a variety of chisels...the tenons are "loose" style.
Here are some pics: The long rails will be held by bed rail hardware to the side ...in the pics they are just supported on blocks.

Dan Mages
12-26-2004, 8:46 PM
That bed is looking nice! He has a great teacher.

Dan

Mark Singer
12-26-2004, 9:35 PM
Dan,

Thanks...I try to use different techniques so he learns more than one way.

Today the weather was cold and drying of glue was very slow. We ran everything through the drum sander and glued up the head and foot frames which includes the shorter rails. All the joints fit well. After sanding we had abouut a 16" of the pins and tails projecting...I can take that off with a belt sander...No sence subjecting one of my planes to ash torture...It is a stuborn gummy wood and burns easily. I made a jig for the bed rail hardware and mortised innto the end rail...squaring the corners with a chisel. The jig is just 2 cuts on the bandsaw...save the piece and put it back in with a little glue abd a spacer. Check the accuracy on a scrap first. You need to account for the template guide...about an 8th over. Once the glue dries we will mortise the hardware mates to the frames...some sanding and finish...oil and bingo!

John Miliunas
12-26-2004, 10:24 PM
Good grief, you guys are like machines over there!:eek: Must be the salt water or something. Great progress! Hey, if I win the lottery, can I come over and spend a month or three somewhere nearby? I swear that I'd probably learn a whole lot just by virtue of osmosis! :D Can't wait to see the final product.:) :cool:

Dan Mages
12-26-2004, 11:01 PM
Cold? HA! You should see the fun I have trying to get things to glue up in my garage when it is 10 degrees outside.

Dan

Jerry Olexa
12-27-2004, 12:39 PM
Mark...EXCELLENT!! What's more rewarding than to have a joint project with your son? Some offspring do not share the same interests as their father. My son and I share many common interests but woodworking is not one of them. Enjoy this time together..