PDA

View Full Version : Oak bookcase

Jeff Monson
10-27-2010, 3:30 PM
Just sprayed this last night, thought I'd share a couple pics. Simple oak bookcase, panel sides, angled corners. I cut the top and bottom moldings on the shaper with an Amana insert cutterhead I recently purchased, it did a flawless job on the profile (very happy with this cutter). Chem aqua laquer finish.

Jeff Monson
10-27-2010, 4:19 PM
One more of the base

alex grams
10-27-2010, 4:41 PM
Very nice. Are the shelves permanent at their current location? I didn't see any holes or hardware for adjusting their height.

Matt Meiser
10-27-2010, 6:14 PM
I like the angled corners--really dresses it up.

Edit: hope you don't mind but these photos are now saved to my idea file!

Cody Colston
10-27-2010, 6:58 PM
Simple oak bookcase, panel sides, angled corners.

And a few details that make it a very nice piece of furniture. The fluted, angled corners, the molding at the top and the cut-out detail on the base really make this piece stand out. Nice work.

gary Zimmel
10-27-2010, 7:14 PM
As Cody said, it's the extra details that make this bookcase stand out.
Nice job Jeff.

glenn bradley
10-27-2010, 7:41 PM
She's a beauty. Classic look and great attention to detail. Are the side panels raised on both sides (inside and out) or are there separate panels on the inside walls?

Von Bickley
10-27-2010, 7:46 PM
Great job..... :) :) :)

Paul Murphy
10-27-2010, 8:02 PM
I really like it, it has that "just right" look to it. The angled corners are perfect.

Jeff Monson
10-27-2010, 11:17 PM
Very nice. Are the shelves permanent at their current location? I didn't see any holes or hardware for adjusting their height.

Alex the shelves are removable, just pins to hold them in, I didnt make them adjustable, I like the look of equal proportions on shelves so they are at a fixed height. The corners look familiar ;), your desk made me do these ya know.

She's a beauty. Classic look and great attention to detail. Are the side panels raised on both sides (inside and out) or are there separate panels on the inside walls?

Glenn, I thought about laminating some 1/4" ply to the inside so the raised panels wouldnt show....but I didnt.....kind of wishing I would have now. Ever just start building something without any plans???? Thats how this project started, I knew overall dimensions but that was it. A few boards later and "viola" a bookcase.

Dave MacArthur
10-28-2010, 1:02 AM
very nice. As folks have said, this one stands out.
book cases are great, because it seems you always need another one, and they can really set the tone for a room.

alex grams
10-28-2010, 8:15 AM
I am happy to have some influence Jeff. I like how you staggered the flutes.

Did you find it as much of a pain in the butt as I did to sand any burning in the end of the flutes, or were you able to route the flutes with minimal burning?

Jeff Monson
10-28-2010, 10:40 AM
I am happy to have some influence Jeff. I like how you staggered the flutes.

Did you find it as much of a pain in the butt as I did to sand any burning in the end of the flutes, or were you able to route the flutes with minimal burning?

I've burned my share of flute ends, and yes it is a pain to sand them out. Nowdays, I have a really good flute bit set (freuds) and I always start my cut about 1/4" ahead of the line and backcut up to it with no pauses or stopping. I use featherboards for side pressure but no pressure downwards, thus I can easily lift the board off the cutter.

Jeffrey Makiel
10-30-2010, 9:19 AM
...thought I'd share a couple pics.

You thought right! Very elegant.
Nice,
-Jeff :)

Dan Karachio
11-01-2010, 8:23 PM
Simple? Wow, I'd like to see what you call complex. :) This is really stellar. I look at all the projects and this one is, IMO, top notch.

Terry Beadle
11-03-2010, 1:12 PM
This is a very well done project and the design is really impressive. Oak never looked so good !

Thanks for posting as it's inspiring !

Troy Turner
11-03-2010, 3:28 PM
Simple (your words, not mine :) ) with the excellent details and touches you put on it shows your great craftsmanship...Great piece

Brent Ring
11-03-2010, 3:30 PM
Really nice work. Love the details!