PDA

View Full Version : Question about using garage door opener motor for other things

Doug W Swanson
10-27-2010, 3:09 PM
Hey all,

I replaced the garage door opener at my mom's house the other day. The opener started acting up a little but the motor still seems fine.

Since it is a 1,000 rpm motor I would like to remove it and maybe make a slow speed grinder or buffing station out of it.

The motor has 4 wires hooked up to it. Two go to a capacitor and two come from the circuit board.

I'm assuming I can't just cut the wires and hook power up to it (or can I?)

What should I do in regards to saving the motor?
Thanks!

David Weaver
10-27-2010, 4:58 PM
You could use the remote, keep the opener housing in one piece and mount something to the top sprocket (like a disc). Did you take it apart already?

All you'd have to do is rig the threaded rod that tells the motor when to stop and start.

Dave Johnson29
10-29-2010, 7:19 PM
I'm assuming I can't just cut the wires and hook power up to it (or can I?)

Well, yes and no. The capacitor and two wires will define the start-up rotation direction. The other two wires will be for the 110vac.

Is there schematic (wiring diagram) for the control and motor to see how they cap is wired to define direction? You can then decide on CW or CCW and hard wire the cap for that rotation.

Be careful of the cpas as they can hold a charge for years. Use a well insulated screwdriver and short across the terminals. There is probably a bleed down resistor but just to be safe...

Dave

Rod Sheridan
10-30-2010, 8:20 AM
Doug, I would be surprised if the motor wasn't rated for intermittent use only.

Of course if it burns out I guess you aren't out any money............Regards, Rod.

Harry Hagan
10-30-2010, 10:41 AM
My garage door installer commented that he was happy to see my existing door opener motor was DC and not AC as he was adjusting the new door he had just installed. He said an AC motor would not have allowed him to cycle the door up and down as much due to overheating.

Sounds like an AC garage door motor would be for intermittent use only.