PDA

View Full Version : Cupcake wrappers

greg lindsey
10-27-2010, 1:03 PM
Ok , another one to add to the I've been getting the stangest requests this week, must be Halloween week. LOL

This is made from cardstock, anyone (certinally not I) have anykind of artwork or the abality to create something like this. The customer has absolutely no artwork. Hell, I'd just as soon as pass the job to you. I really dont have time for it. BTW, she is looking for about 50-100 pcs

Mary Geitz
10-27-2010, 2:03 PM
Is your customer looking for someone local? I'm in Chicago and have done these, so I would be happy to take this off your hands.

Dan Hintz
10-27-2010, 8:51 PM
Just be aware, if you don't have a galvo, those are going to take a surprising amount of time on the laser if you do it as a vector. It would probably be faster as a raster cut...

Robert Walters
10-27-2010, 11:29 PM
It would probably be faster as a raster cut...

What is Raster Cutting????

Steve Clarkson
10-28-2010, 12:20 AM
Mary.......I've had other people request these too......must be because of that Cupcake Wars show.......can you post a file of just one so I can get the right sizing? Thanks

Jiten Patel
10-28-2010, 7:04 AM
Im currently working on deisgns for cupcake wrappers. But they wont be ready for another month at least. Also I'm based in London, so that doesnt really help.

And Dan is right, if you are using a flatbed, then these will take 3-10 minues a piece depending on the design. Might not be worth your time....galvo = 10-30 seconds.....

Dan Hintz
10-28-2010, 7:10 AM
Steve,

Cut open a normal muffin wrapper... that will give you a rough outline for one.

Dee Gallo
10-29-2010, 8:45 PM
Here you go Steve, or anyone else. This is a generic wrapper, embellish to your heart's content. Saved as CorelDraw v9. It fits a standard muffin liner, large to x-large. Adjust height as needed.

cheers, dee

Steve Clarkson
10-30-2010, 7:37 AM
Thanks Dee! I appreciate it!!!

Andrea Weissenseel
10-30-2010, 8:35 AM
Just be aware, if you don't have a galvo, those are going to take a surprising amount of time on the laser if you do it as a vector. It would probably be faster as a raster cut...

Fully agree with that - I did those and it really takes to long to make a profit.

Andrea

Mary Geitz
10-30-2010, 5:06 PM
Sorry, Steve. I haven't visited in a few days. My template is virtually the same as Dee's. For me this is more of a business card type item. Both of my sisters have young kids and I supply them with invites for parties, cupcake wrappers, cork coasters, etc. One of my halloween invite designs led to a nice wedding invite order for about $800.

Emily Wilson
10-31-2010, 7:23 AM

I have not heard of a Galvo......... a speedy vector? What is this sort of thing and where can I get one?

Dan Hintz
10-31-2010, 9:11 AM
Emily,

Galvos (galvonometers) direct the beam via a pair of rotatable mirrors that stay in one spot, rather than fixed direction mirrors that are moved via the carriage. Because the mirrors themselves are quite light (compared to a bulky carriage and y-axis arm), they can be moved quite fast.Speed increases of 10x or more compared to a carriage system are easily achievable.

Emily Wilson
10-31-2010, 9:17 AM
Thank you very much for your reply to the Galvo question.
I will have to look into the possibilities and what is on the market
for a home biz like mine. If it does this vector cutting of card stock
then I would have it made.

Frank Corker
10-31-2010, 10:25 AM
Emily I've never seen one close up but look on youtube for a demo, seem to be amazing machines and incredibly quick - facinating to watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRDipM4D8TY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9DlQO4B62w&feature=related

Emily Wilson
10-31-2010, 11:45 AM
[QUOTE=Frank Corker;1547309]Emily I've never seen one close up but look on youtube for a demo, seem to be amazing machines and incredibly quick - facinating to watch

Holy Cow!!!
Thank You Frank for the links, those galvonometers are incredible. If I had one of those units how would I ever get any reading done or get to paint my nails before the next job was ready to position for lasering ?

I want one!

Frank Corker
10-31-2010, 12:06 PM
I have the same problem.... quick dry nail varnish is the solution to all your problems and leaves a hard and durable finish!

Jiten Patel
10-31-2010, 1:06 PM
They are amazing, and thats why I got me one. :D The speed is incredible, but you lose the fine details and "bed" size. But if you are doing smaller things then they are perfect.

Frank Corker
10-31-2010, 1:13 PM
Jit may I ask you how much you paid for your machine?

Steve Clarkson
10-31-2010, 4:37 PM
I have the same problem.... quick dry nail varnish is the solution to all your problems and leaves a hard and durable finish!

Would love to see a picture of your finished nails Frank.......

OK......here's a cdr in v10 with about 30 cupcake things for almost any occasion you can think of.

Clarence Miller
10-31-2010, 5:00 PM
how does one go about pricing disposable cupcake wrappers w/o over pricing?

Dan Hintz
10-31-2010, 5:25 PM
Emily,

Be aware, galvos are expensive... often 2-3 times what a carriage system costs. That never says home hobby...

Jiten Patel
10-31-2010, 5:39 PM
Frank,

All in all just under £20k. Thats a 30w Galvo, 400mm lens (gives a marking field of around 290mm sqaure), dedicated computer, software, and a custom honeycomb table.

Just cant wait to get my hands on my baby. Few more weeks still. Gives me a chance to finish off all my design work.

Still looking at maybe investing in a flatbed in the future as the detail you guys can get with it is incredible. We can get decent detail but probably not good for doing photo's etc (havent really tried though).

Alick Ford
10-31-2010, 6:02 PM
http://www.squires-shop.com/ibf/index.php?p=catalog&mode=catalog&parent=232&mid=0&search_in=all&search_str=&pg=1

They seem to have pretty nice designs.
Work out around 80p each.

If you look at some of the pictures of the white cases you can see a slight char at the edge! looks like a glavo job to me!

Custom designs... I would definitely be looking for around £1.25 ($2) a case depending on detail of design.

Would be interested in seeing your designs when they are finished Jit, if they are anything like your invitations they will be stunning!! my epilog just ain't quick enough to make much profit for that type of thing!

Jiten Patel
11-01-2010, 5:22 AM
They have to be done using a galvo. I dont think the time it takes using a carraige could warrant a price tag like that.

I recognise some of those wrappers from your link from an American company called Laser Excel (I think). They have branched out into doing paper craft, similar to what I am doing.:eek:

We've spoken to a few large cake manufacturers about wrappers so hopefully once I finally finish up my deisng work on my invites, I will be able to concentrate on other form of paper/card trickery and secure myself a few large orders.

Mark Ross
11-01-2010, 8:44 AM
Oy....

Cupcake wars...based on my big fat belly, I guess I am a 30+ year veteran of that campaign. What a silly show...IT'S A CUPCAKE! Then again, reality shows are so much cheaper to produce than real television.

Cupcake war...at least at the end they could blow up the losers submission or maybe hurl a bunch of cupcake grenades...cupcake wars...:)

Mary Geitz
11-01-2010, 9:35 AM
Would love to see a picture of your finished nails Frank.......

OK......here's a cdr in v10 with about 30 cupcake things for almost any occasion you can think of.

Thanks Steve! Those are great.

Dee Gallo
11-03-2010, 2:38 PM
Now you guys have made me make some cupcake wrappers... I love the Chinese paper cut designs, so I adapted some traditional Zodiac designs for a this set. When I cut them out of red paper, there was ZERO browning using 100 speed and 15 power. Surprised me!

cheers, dee

Chuck Stone
11-03-2010, 4:01 PM
Nice!! makes me wish I ate cupcakes..

Dan Hintz
11-03-2010, 8:17 PM
Very intricate cuts, Dee... nice!

Steve Clarkson
11-03-2010, 9:26 PM
Dee........no cupcakes with those wrappers?

Those are great designs!

David Fairfield
11-03-2010, 9:51 PM
Very nice work, Dee! Traditional Chinese art seems to work really well with the laser. You also had some very good results with your 3d experiments.

Dave

Dee Gallo
11-03-2010, 10:17 PM
Thanks everyone, sorry Steve but the cupcakes are all gone... nothing left but some coconut scones and they don't fit into the wrappers....

Dave, Chinese designs are always intricate, which really make the best use of the laser's unique abilities. I love them in tandem! It does take a bit of computer fiddling to get them to work, but it's fun. But I think almost all traditional ethnic designs would be the same.

cheers, dee

Jiten Patel
11-04-2010, 7:38 AM
But I think almost all traditional ethnic designs would be the same.

Completely agree Dee. Indian designs are just as intricate and I cant wait to design a few of these. Nice work one the ones you've produced.

Out of curiousity, how long did it take you to do one on your flat bed?

Dee Gallo
11-04-2010, 9:13 AM
Completely agree Dee. Indian designs are just as intricate and I cant wait to design a few of these. Nice work one the ones you've produced.

Out of curiousity, how long did it take you to do one on your flat bed?

Jit, it took less than 1 minute per design and I could only fit 3 per 8.5 x 11 sheet. If I were trying to be efficient, I would probably use bigger paper and put the designs closer together....

But still, using the $1 per minute guideline, it's still within tolerance for selling. I've seen these go for $2-4 each.

cheers, dee

Emily Wilson
11-04-2010, 9:26 AM
Dee, those cupcake wrappers are beautiful !!!!
Also cool that they are fairly low on time.

Thanks for posting!

Now you guys have made me make some cupcake wrappers... I love the Chinese paper cut designs, so I adapted some traditional Zodiac designs for a this set. When I cut them out of red paper, there was ZERO browning using 100 speed and 15 power. Surprised me!

cheers, dee

Emily Wilson
11-04-2010, 9:32 AM
Emily,

Be aware, galvos are expensive... often 2-3 times what a carriage system costs. That never says home hobby...

Of course I'd be willing to change my terms from
"home hobby" to somthin' better if that would help me get a Galvo!
Yeah at this time I am not able to afford .......... but maybe in a few
years .Maybe when they come out with a laptop model!;)

Dan Hintz
11-04-2010, 10:31 AM
Planty of laptop-style galvos out there... it's just a head, you supply the support and connect to cables. This allows custom designs for conveyor-type systems. I think the low-wattage systems (10W) start around $10-15k.

Jiten Patel
11-04-2010, 10:40 AM
Planty of laptop-style galvos out there... it's just a head, you supply the support and connect to cables. This allows custom designs for conveyor-type systems. I think the low-wattage systems (10W) start around $10-15k.

Spot on Dan. My 30w was £20k which is around $30k. Big investment but worth every penny! :D

Dee Gallo
11-04-2010, 10:40 AM
Dan-

So what's the deal on the Epilog Fibermark? Is that the same kind of thing you are discussing?

Emily Wilson
11-04-2010, 10:43 AM
Thank You Dan,

I know that I would indeed be thrilled to have one.
Perhaps with a solid business development and plan on my part I could get one-one of these days. Meanwhile, I am super glad to have my
mini 18, in any case.:D

Joe De Medeiros
11-04-2010, 10:53 AM
Dan-

So what's the deal on the Epilog Fibermark? Is that the same kind of thing you are discussing?

No the fibermark is gantry type machine like the mini and others. a galvo uses rotating mirrors to move the laser beam, and can move it very fast.

Jiten Patel
11-04-2010, 11:14 AM
The mirrors are in the laser head (where is say trotec) and thats where the beam orginates from. The actual laser is about 18inches or so long. So not big at all.

Also as the beam comes for a static point, the larger the marking area the more angle the cut gets towards the edges. So its not really great for cutting materials with any kind of thickness. Hence why they are called laser marking systems rather than cutting.

Joe De Medeiros
11-04-2010, 11:16 AM

it still seem expensive, but I guess the control mechanism is more complex. I've seen them in action at a trade show and it is very impressive how fast they are.

here's a galvo cutting paper on an assembly line

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlQe8iFRlsM

Doug Griffith
11-04-2010, 12:13 PM
What is Raster Cutting????

I'm sure he's referring to engraving at settings that incinerate the substrate all the way through.

Dee Gallo
11-05-2010, 1:58 PM
More cupcake wrappers! I only showed these to a few people and I already got a couple of orders for more of these, one for 2 dozen, another for 200 :eek: Good thing I got it down to <1 minute each. I usually try to make something small and cheap for the holidays to advertise my business, so this worked out well.

The paper was cheap, I had a ream left over from years ago which was fading at the edges. No good for printing, but perfect for cutting these out! I'll sell them for $12/dozen.

cheers, dee

Emily Wilson
11-05-2010, 3:51 PM
Those wrappers are great, Dee, I hope you sell lots!

Peter Meacham
11-06-2010, 8:32 AM
Can anyone advise what paper stock to buy to make the cupcake wrappers and a source please

Thanks, Pete

Dan Hintz
11-06-2010, 8:50 AM
Any ol' paper will do, but you'll look better in the customer's eyes if you purchase a card stock... 67 pound, 80 pound, etc. would probably be best. Any Staples, Office Depot, etc. will have what you need (or can order it), but also plenty of places online, just Google card stock.

Andrea Weissenseel
11-07-2010, 1:50 PM
If you want to sell them, you should check that the paper/card stock is food grade - at least it's like that in Germany

Andrea

Jiten Patel
04-05-2011, 5:48 AM
Thought I would drag up this old one up. I finally got a chance to design some wrappers using the template provided. All of these are made from high quality thick card stock.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/pencil.png

Dan Hintz
04-05-2011, 6:41 AM
Jiten,

Wish you were closer... we could trade services :)

Jiten Patel
04-05-2011, 7:44 AM
Only across the pond mate, not really that far. If you are ever in London, give me a shout. You could teach me a thing or 1023489!

Robert Walters
04-06-2011, 8:32 AM
Jit,

Two things...

1) Nice work as always, I hate you! (But you already knew that) ;)
2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiBfycHQP7A&feature=related
It even has air assist, which is something I didn't initially realize is missing on many galvos.

Frank,

Any color preference when painting your nails?

Mike Null
04-12-2011, 12:26 PM
Not a cupcake wrapper but I had a few minutes this morning to play with my machine and since I had never tried cutting paper thought I'd have a go.

The attached is 20 lb. copy paper. No charring and 2 minutes 18 sec. cutting time with my Trotec. (cell phone picture)

Dee Gallo
04-12-2011, 1:39 PM
Nice one, Mike! Now you have something to rest your drink on...

Are you going to add doilies to your extensive list of products?

Mike Null
04-12-2011, 1:49 PM
I remember when the women of the family used to sit and crochet them. That was before TV. You know, when "Portia Faces Life" and "Stella Dallas" interrupted soap commercials on the radio.

Belinda Barfield
04-12-2011, 2:52 PM
I remember when the women of the family used to sit and crochet them. That was before TV. You know, when "Portia Faces Life" and "Stella Dallas" interrupted soap commercials on the radio.

I still crochet them . . .

Jiten Patel
04-13-2011, 4:21 AM
Nicely done Mike.

Hopefully i will be able to acheieve that sort of detail with my new lens. Will post up pics when I get it. Love doily patterns for lasering. They turn out so good.

Mike Null
04-13-2011, 6:17 AM
Jit

Thank you but you were the guy who prompted me to try this and from what I can see you set the standard.

I was looking through my files for the art you posted in another thread when I came across this.

Jiten Patel
04-13-2011, 7:10 AM
It's always nice being complemented by a legend in the game.

I am a complete amatuer when it comes to all this. Still learning everyday. Still teething, but getting there.

We do things very similar to what you have done, with a slit cut into the middle, so you can use them as wine glass claims, sit at the base - so people can write names onto them as a place card alternative.