PDA

View Full Version : Computer Expert Needed

Mark Hulette
10-27-2010, 12:28 PM
I've got an issue with my laptop that is really frustrating...

Here's what I've got:

Toshiba LT running Vista (64 bit) on home wifi that keeps dropping internet connection. Another laptop and iPod work fine on same network.

Get error message when running diagnostics referring to Windows firewall and User Query that may be affecting connection.

I've tried to reset and even turn off the firewall but no success- I did a system restore and it worked but I don't want to keep doing that.

Running anti-virus software shows that there are no virusi.

Please help!! I'd like to correct this myself if possible but I'm not above taking it somewhere.

Thanks in advance for your expertise!

Mark

Jerome Hanby
10-27-2010, 12:52 PM
I don't have first hand knowledge of your hardware, but I do know all wireless implementations are not created equal (Sony PS3 is terrible, for example). I'd setup shop right beside your wireless router and see if it behaves better. If so, the solution may be a USB wireless adapter to replace the connectivity of the one in your laptop...

Mark Hulette
10-27-2010, 1:26 PM
I don't have first hand knowledge of your hardware, but I do know all wireless implementations are not created equal (Sony PS3 is terrible, for example). I'd setup shop right beside your wireless router and see if it behaves better. If so, the solution may be a USB wireless adapter to replace the connectivity of the one in your laptop...

Thanks, Jerome but I've tried that and as said, connectivity doesn't seem to be the problem but the PC allowing the internet is... something's blocking it and I can't figure out what.

Haven't installed any new software, either.

Thanks for your help!

paul cottingham
10-27-2010, 1:46 PM
Seriously, the easiest way to fix Vista wireless is to install XP.

Mark Hulette
10-27-2010, 2:24 PM

So is there a history of problems with Vista wireless? :confused:

Pat Germain
10-27-2010, 4:59 PM

I don't know about that. I have an older laptop running Vista. It never fails to connect to my WiFi and stays solidly connected.

Are you using Windows to connect or the driver software for your NIC? You might try switching to see if you get better results.

Have you made sure you have no malware/spyware/adware on your computer? If not, try installing and running both Ad-Aware and MalwareBytes. Together, those programs pick up just about everything.

Chuck Wintle
10-27-2010, 5:08 PM
or you can switch to Ubuntu Linux which is rock solid. just a suggestion. :D

Don Alexander
10-27-2010, 7:18 PM
is the laptop wireless card still turned on when the connection drops?

alot of laptops are preset to shut off the wireless and or network cards after a short period of inactivity by the user (presumably to extend battery runtime) which can be very annoying

its worth a quick check

Clarence Miller
10-27-2010, 7:34 PM
I am not impartial but I despise Vista. However I did get to play with installing 7 on my neice's laptop about a month ago and I have to admit it was one of the most painless installs I have ever done for ease of setting up drivers. I run XP myself but will probably upgrade to 7 in the next year or so. I am just not sure if 7 will behave well with Mach 2 cnc software.

paul cottingham
10-27-2010, 11:56 PM

+1 on a very clever suggestion.

the quickest way to fix windows is to install Linux.

Darius Ferlas
10-28-2010, 12:01 AM
Never heard about Vista and wireless issues.
I'd say it would be either the Toshiba or the wireless router.

Peter Stahl
10-28-2010, 6:40 AM

Unless you are programmer Linux would be tough to use. I'm far from being computer illiterate and it frustrated me big time. Had Ubantu and went back to windows XP. Heck I'd use Windows 98 before I'd use Linux.

Chuck Wintle
10-28-2010, 8:10 AM
Unless you are programmer Linux would be tough to use. I'm far from being computer illiterate and it frustrated me big time. Had Ubantu and went back to windows XP. Heck I'd use Windows 98 before I'd use Linux.

Programming experience is not needed for linux. Its almost fool proof now with automatic updates and automatic software installation. I was frustrated the first time using it. Although not perfect it is free :D, Probably Linux will never challenge M$ for number of users but it can be an alternative to windows.

Curt Harms
10-28-2010, 8:15 AM

Unfortunately WiFi hardware support is probably the biggest problem area, especially newer (N) adapters. I bought an off brand adapter from Amazon (EnGenius) because it claimed to be supported in Linux. Yeah, you gotta download the driver, compile and install it. I could never get it to work and should have returned it but didn't. It does work in XP but the driver is pretty crude. I can only imagine what the Linux code is like.

The potential does exist it make Linux hardware friendly. I bought a NetGear WNA1100 and downloaded a .deb file from sourceforge. It was no different than installing a Windows .exe driver. Manufacturers just don't bother, perhaps with some prompting from MicroSoft to not bother. There are a ton of Linux distros out there but if there were a .deb package and an .rpm package I'll bet that would cover the majority of users. I haven't booted Windows in months, though I will if I need to use QuickBooks.

Charlie Stone
10-28-2010, 9:59 AM
Check Toshiba's website for a driver update to your network card. That would be a the best place to start. They should know about any recurring issues with their default hardware.

Jerome Hanby
10-28-2010, 11:25 AM
I was going to suggest that but whenever my wife catches me doing so she calls me a butt :D

Myk Rian
10-28-2010, 12:38 PM
Just like Windows ME, there are basic problems with Vista. They are both terrible OSs.
Fix it with Win7. No sense backtracking to XP.

Mark Hulette
10-28-2010, 12:48 PM
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions- although I was looking for a fix within Vista, I'll consider an upgrade to Win 7... I have less than zero experience with Linux so that's not really practical at this time. I'd love to get this fixed and be on my way since this is the first issue I've had with Vista in a year of running it.

I'll try the suggestion of checking out the drivers on the Toshiba site but it sure isn't acting like any hardware issues I've had in the past with 98 or XP.

Thanks again!!

If you have any other suggestions, my ears are wide open.

Bryan Morgan
10-28-2010, 3:28 PM
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions- although I was looking for a fix within Vista, I'll consider an upgrade to Win 7... I have less than zero experience with Linux so that's not really practical at this time. I'd love to get this fixed and be on my way since this is the first issue I've had with Vista in a year of running it.

I'll try the suggestion of checking out the drivers on the Toshiba site but it sure isn't acting like any hardware issues I've had in the past with 98 or XP.

Thanks again!!

If you have any other suggestions, my ears are wide open.

Did you try doing simple things like disabling your firewall or internet security package (if you use one) ? What kind of signal strength are you getting from the access point? Is your IP (on the computer) static or dynamic? If it is dynamic you might try plugging in an IP and making sure your gateway and DNS is correct (you can also try 4.2.2.2 as your DNS). Is the wireless actually dropping out? (windows shows you the connection with a red slash through it)

Theres nothing wrong with Linux (I love it, and it pays my bills) but it depends on what you want to do and what programs you want to run. It is not difficult by any means, just a little different. You certainly don't have to be a programmer to use it. You never have to see a command shell if you don't want to.

Chuck Wintle
10-28-2010, 4:22 PM
also Ubuntu Linux lets you run it as a live version which is the ultimate for security.

Andrew Pitonyak
10-28-2010, 8:20 PM
Toshiba LT running Vista (64 bit) on home wifi that keeps dropping internet connection. Another laptop and iPod work fine on same network.

My recommendation is that you obtain a Linux live disk. This allows you to boot Linux without removing your current Windows installation.

What good is this? If you can make your laptop work with Linux, then you know that the problem is Windows. I use this to troubleshoot Networking issues all the time. if they both fail, then I assume hardware or that the thing to which it connects has a problem.

This will tell if you your hardware will work.

My favorite is Fedora, but, Ubuntu certainly has better acceptance these days.

paul cottingham
10-28-2010, 8:24 PM

Linux is no harder than windows, in fact it could be argued that it is easier than windows cause you aren't always rebooting. In fact we have installed it for older users specifically 'cause it is easier and less aggravating.

Remember, mac osx is FreeBSD (arguably a "flavor" of linux) with a cute windowing interface.

Myk Rian
10-28-2010, 8:52 PM
I've been using computers since 1972. I am not a Newb user. I teach computer usage. I used to write programs in machine code.

I have installed, and tried to understand Linux a dozen times. Bought and read the books on it, joined forums, used live disks, etc. etc. etc. I have yet to understand how to install and run ANY program on it.

I read in forums all the time, "install Linux, you'll love it. You'll never have another problem". Ha.
Linux has been, and is, a complete waste of my time. It is not an OS for the masses.

glenn bradley
10-28-2010, 9:37 PM

There is an ever-so-slight indication that Vista may not have been the best OS to come out of Washington. :) We have thousands of APs on a University campus and thousands of users at any given time. The variety of their phones, games, laptops and OS choices is pretty wide. We do not have a Vista = bad mentality though. Hardware operating well period or in concert with a given OS is the main trouble maker.

Bryan Morgan
10-28-2010, 11:28 PM
I've been using computers since 1972. I am not a Newb user. I teach computer usage. I used to write programs in machine code.

I have installed, and tried to understand Linux a dozen times. Bought and read the books on it, joined forums, used live disks, etc. etc. etc. I have yet to understand how to install and run ANY program on it.

I read in forums all the time, "install Linux, you'll love it. You'll never have another problem". Ha.
Linux has been, and is, a complete waste of my time. It is not an OS for the masses.

No offense but your experience is not common. Even my grandmother who knows nothing about computers doesn't have any issues with Linux. Depending on the distro, the interface is fairly ubiquitous to the other "standard" OSs. Maybe you are going into it with a negative attitude and are actually over-thinking it. If you have a specific problem, ask away. There are many people that could help you.

Bryan Rocker
10-29-2010, 12:04 AM
First things first, when you are connected, how good is your signal? Are you sure you aren't having signal mismatch problems? We have Vista on our laptops at work and the wireless works very well, the machines are HPs. I would also check out this link.

http://www.daileyint.com/hmdpc/connect.htm

I would also check the proximity to the problem child laptop to other cordless devices and I would also look at any additional hardware you have added to your laptop including usb devices. You could be having a conflict and not know it.....

Darius Ferlas
10-29-2010, 12:11 AM

Ouch!

My daughter started using Linux at the age some 12 years ago. She is now 21 and not a computer geek by any stretch of imagination. She used RedHat, then SuSe and now Ubuntu for the last 2 years. She installed many programs herself. Her latest Ubuntu installation is her own doing. After all, clicking in Windows is no different than clicking in Linux except that Linux is easier in so many ways. Out of the "box" it comes with everything an average user may need.

She refuses to switch to Windows even though she tried a couple times (XP and Win7) but... she says she has work to do and tinkering with the computer is not a part of it.

paul cottingham
10-29-2010, 1:43 AM
No offense but your experience is not common. Even my grandmother who knows nothing about computers doesn't have any issues with Linux. Depending on the distro, the interface is fairly ubiquitous to the other "standard" OSs. Maybe you are going into it with a negative attitude and are actually over-thinking it. If you have a specific problem, ask away. There are many people that could help you.
Here here.

Jerome Stanek
10-29-2010, 6:50 AM
I would try changing the channel of the router from the default you may be picking up some interference.

Curt Harms
10-29-2010, 7:22 AM
and are a dyed-in-the-wool WindowsXP user, you might be more comfortable with the KDE interface. That was recently redone and seems to get good reviews. The download would have a name like Kbuntu or Ksomething. I've used the default Gnome flavor and some say it's more similar to OSx. I know Apple does contribute something to open source (CUPS--Common Unix Printing System) which apparently OSx also uses) The neat thing about live CDs is if your computer is set to boot CD drive first, just create the CD, put it in the drive and reboot. It's slow to load but you have a usable functioning operating system including office suite, web browser etc. all off a CD or DVD. If you want to go back to Windows, shut down the live session, remove the CD and reboot. Everything that happened during that session is also forgotten which is what Charles was referring to. If you were to get a nasty during an online session (extremely rare in *nix) shutting down makes it go away. Everything is as it was. The thing to remember with live CDs is to not select "install", just select "try" or whatever the term is.

Modern Linux distros-Ubuntu, Fedora, Mandriva are a few-are no more difficult to learn than Windows or OSx. What can make it seem more difficult than necessary is the digerati's insistence on opening a terminal as the preferred option. Installing a networked Brother MFD is sorta like that. If I went strictly by Brother's directions, I'd be typing commands and making typos. Instead, I download the .deb file, right click the download, select open with gdebi installer, click okay and sit real still. That's it. Installing the scanner portion does involve a command line but that could have a graphical interface as well if Brother would devote a little more development effort. I have an old H-P 940 inkjet that has a USB connection. Even using a live CD, the printer is just there-no drivers, no nothing. Can't get easier than that.

Bryan Morgan
10-29-2010, 6:52 PM
What can make it seem more difficult than necessary is the digerati's insistence on opening a terminal as the preferred option.

The quickest way to invoke nerd rage is to insult the shell. :D NEVER insult the shell! :p hehe

paul cottingham
10-29-2010, 8:38 PM
The quickest way to invoke nerd rage is to insult the shell. :D NEVER insult the shell! :p hehe

that is damn good advice.

Jon Knauft
10-29-2010, 9:25 PM
Mark,

Google Windows firewall and User Query. I found several solutions on the first page. Hopefully, one will help.

-Jon

Bryan Morgan
10-29-2010, 10:55 PM
that is damn good advice.

init 3 && vi /etc/inittab :D

I personally do not like GUIs. They are way too limiting and time consuming. All that clicking, dragging, double clicking... who's got time!? :)

paul cottingham
10-30-2010, 12:08 AM

I personally do not like GUIs. They are way too limiting and time consuming. All that clicking, dragging, double clicking... who's got time!? :)

Testify brother!

Glen Butler
10-30-2010, 3:44 AM
What operating systems are the other computers without connectivity problems using? If they are all using Vista then it sounds like not a Vista problem but a hardware problem. The wireless adapter being the most likely culprit and/or the drivers associated with said wireless adapter.

FYI. I hate wi-fi. I would rather have wires running across my floor than have to deal with wi-fi.

Curt Harms
10-30-2010, 6:15 AM

99% of non-pro computer users? I think I understand the speed,power and flexibility of the CLI for those with the time to learn it:). Most of us don't check email, SMC or the daily comics with Lynx. If desktop Linux is ever going to become more than a curiosity with more than a couple % of desktops, it needs a GUI as usable as Win 98 at least. The user interface needn't be all-singing all-dancing but it needs to be what the non-nerd has come to expect. I think Gnome has done a decent job, I haven't messed with KDE.

Stephen Tashiro
10-30-2010, 1:34 PM
A discussion of the Linux desktop on Sawmill Creek? - I thought for a moment I was on a Linux forum!

I think the merits and demerits of various desktop interfaces are actually irrelevant to which operating systems are used. It's the applications that rule. As long as businesses and your other family members expect "Powerpoint" presentations instead of merely a slide presentation and as long as they use "Word" documents instead of merely documents, Windows will be the dominant operating system. The fact that Macs or Linux can handle these formats with other software is never going to remove the slight inconvenience and risk of not using the "real" OS that they were intended for. It's coping with this slight inconvenience and risk that separates the nerds from non-nerds.

Discussions about what people, as individual users, like or dislike about computer interfaces tend to ignore the important aspects of the corporate view of the desktop. A corporate IT staff does not want its users reconfiguring their machines (so they don't care if that is easy or hard for the average person). They don't want to go around to each individual machine when an application needs to be updated. It's simpler to run the application from a central "server" computer and have the users connect as clients. Naturally, what you see is Microsoft server software filling that function.

David Wong
10-30-2010, 4:14 PM
Network problems, particularly intermittent ones, are notoriously difficult to diagnosis. One overlooked source of connection drops is due to interference from other devices. Common wireless protocols 802.11b & 802.11g, but can suffer from interference caused by other devices using the same frequency range. This includes 2.4GHz cordless phones, bluetooth devices, and even microwave ovens. The OP may wish to determine if these devices have anything to do with the connection drops. My father's internet connection was always interrupted whenever he used his old cheap 2.4 GHz cordless phone. My solution was to get him a new 5 GHz cordless phone.

Bruce King
10-31-2010, 1:00 AM
Where is the switch to turn off the laptop wireless? Some are on the side of the laptop where it can get hit or maybe the switch is bad/dirty. Turn it off or wiggle/tap it and see if the symptom/message is the same.

Bryan Morgan
11-01-2010, 12:25 AM
Where is the switch to turn off the laptop wireless? Some are on the side of the laptop where it can get hit or maybe the switch is bad/dirty. Turn it off or wiggle/tap it and see if the symptom/message is the same.

Thats a good point! The wireless adapters are usually cards installed inside the machine. If you are brave enough you can unscrew some of the panels on the bottom of the notebook and locate the card. Make sure its seated well and the antenna connectors (white and black wires with gold connectors) are pressed in good. I always unhook and rehook everything just to reseat it and scrape off any oxidation that may be there.

John Shuk
11-01-2010, 8:32 AM
Might be late to the thread but I had the same problem with a Dell laptop running Vista over the last year. It's gone now.
The laptop that is.

Mark Hulette
11-23-2010, 9:24 AM
Well guys, just reporting back on my problem... turns out it wasn't the laptop at all but the internet provider!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Had an issue with my home telephone (yeah, I know) and when the repair dude came out, he also mentioned that it was also affecting the internet connection. So now after 4 repair calls we are working on that instead of the computer.

The provider 'upgraded' the digital TV and since then everything has been ca-ca. Dude said the signal coming into the house was too high. Wow.

Thanks for all the suggestions (glad I didn't go to Linux just yet) ;)

paul cottingham
11-23-2010, 10:46 AM
Glad you figured it out...but I don't understand that last bit....:D

Walt Helms
11-23-2010, 1:45 PM
having a look at device manager?

Right-click on "My Computer", scroll down and click "manage". In that console, click "Device Manager". In the right pane, look for stop signs or exclamation point first. You may have to expand the selections.

Expand "Network Adapters"...you should see your wireless adapter listed...

Right-click on the wireless adapter and choose "uninstall". After it's uninstalled, close Device Manager and REBOOT.

Effectively, you have removed the driver for the wireless adapter. Rebooting will cause the OS to rescan it's installed devices for missing or broken drivers (you now have a wireless card installed BUT NOT configured). Vista will look into it's cache and load what it believes to be the best driver.

This will put your workstation back in line.

Do you have your "network connection" set to display when connected? With that, it will tell you if/when your connection goes south.

With a little more data, you might get that bugger fixed!

HTH

Scott Donley
11-23-2010, 2:09 PM
.but I don't understand that last bit....:DI do ! I downloaded Ubuntu a few weeks ago just to give it a try ( I have a couple extra computers I no longer use) After 45 minutes of it telling me it was loading, I gave up, tried it on my user, it loaded but was very slow and could not get the internet connection to work and gave up. Then had to spend 20 minutes to get my internet back under Windows. Linux is not the answer for everyone. Besides, I have no problems with Windows. I even liked ME.

paul cottingham
11-23-2010, 3:30 PM
Its funny, I have installed Ubuntu a on all kinds of old hardware with no problems.

On the other hand, I made a living installing Windows on computers for people who couldn't get it to install. I also trained people in hardware and os repair and networking. My students ALWAYS had more trouble installing windows, than *nix. When people tell me that linux is hard to install, I am genuinely mystified.

Scott Donley
11-23-2010, 4:17 PM
Its funny, I have installed Ubuntu a on all kinds of old hardware with no problems.

On the other hand, I made a living installing Windows on computers for people who couldn't get it to install. I also trained people in hardware and os repair and networking. My students ALWAYS had more trouble installing windows, than *nix. When people tell me that linux is hard to install, I am genuinely mystified.I have NEVER had a problem with a windows install and I started out with using DOS. I even have XP running on a very old laptop (Thinkpad at 300 mgz and 192 megs of ram ) I have NEVER had a virus from the internet. I did get one at one time from a file a friend gave me on disk. I never have to reboot. Most Window problems are the result of people clicking OK before reading what it is asking. (other than the time my stepdad deleted all of his .ini files because he did not think he needed them:() I also never log on as an admin. unless I have a need to.
Not saying linux does not work for some, just saying for me not worth the trouble but to imply that I would be the only one that would ever have a problem with it is just plain wrong.(just read the help forums for Utuntu)

Bryan Morgan
11-24-2010, 12:23 AM
Well guys, just reporting back on my problem... turns out it wasn't the laptop at all but the internet provider!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Had an issue with my home telephone (yeah, I know) and when the repair dude came out, he also mentioned that it was also affecting the internet connection. So now after 4 repair calls we are working on that instead of the computer.

The provider 'upgraded' the digital TV and since then everything has been ca-ca. Dude said the signal coming into the house was too high. Wow.

Signal too high? :confused: I have never heard of such a thing for TV or data...

paul cottingham
11-24-2010, 1:32 AM
Signal too high? :confused: I have never heard of such a thing for TV or data...
Too hot signals can totally screw up cable modems for sure,

Don Palese
11-24-2010, 2:50 AM
I do beleive that vista/win7 both have this happen. I know my win7 did the same. I found that some maintenance and security fixes probably did the nasty deed. The way I solved the situation was to back off the update about 6 a day .... noting the day and fix/update number. Once the problem stopped, I reapplied the days stuff in reverse order and 1 at a time .. when the problem started again I kill the last update. Then reapplied the others.
No more connection drops ..

This is only food for thought .. Good luck.

Don in Medford

John Shuk
11-24-2010, 10:07 AM
I had the same trouble with a dell laptop running Vista. Connected but locally only. No internet. All other devices have no problem. I'm glad I didn't pay for the laptop.

paul cottingham
11-24-2010, 1:55 PM
I had the same trouble with a dell laptop running Vista. Connected but locally only. No internet. All other devices have no problem. I'm glad I didn't pay for the laptop.
Just Vista being Vista....

Bryan Morgan
11-24-2010, 3:28 PM
Just Vista being Vista....

I thought it was called Moe-Haw-Vay now.... :D