PDA

View Full Version : Sliding Glass/Lexan Doors in Cabinet??

Jason Yeager
10-27-2010, 12:19 PM
He everyone,

I need to make some display cabinets with sliding lexan doors that are 3/8" thick. The trouble is, none of the local glass companies have any of the track systems that will fit the 3/8" lexan. I am unsure how to make the sliding system for the doors, as I normally would use the 1/4" glass and track system.

Anyone have any ideas on how to make lockable sliding glass doors in a display cabinet with 3/8" lexan??

Thanks a ton!

Joe Kieve
10-27-2010, 12:33 PM
You might consider making your own track, top and bottom, out of hardwood like oak or maple, etc. Just groove it out 13/32" with maybe 1/4" front and back with 1/16" in the middle.
We used to make our own tracks for 1/2" MDF. The top track should be a little deeper than the bottom so you can put the lexan in after the track is installed.
Hope this helps.

joe

Lee Schierer
10-27-2010, 12:36 PM
I agree with Joe, be sure to polish the edges of your lexan to get a smooth clear finish so they will slide smoothly in the grooves.

Jason Yeager
10-27-2010, 12:41 PM
Thanks,

How do you polish the edges of lexan? What would you put in the tracks to aid in the lexan sliding, wax?

It is important that the case is lockable and secure, so if I make the dados for the track deep enought to pull the lexan out, that would be a problem. I was thinking about sizing the lexan to fit in a rebate, then adding a strip of oak to complete the track. What do you think? Or maybe construct the track just like you said, but once the lexan is in, glue a thin strip of wood in the upper track in a couple places such that the lexan cannot be pulled out.

I really appreciate your thoughts Joe and Lee.

Jerome Stanek
10-27-2010, 12:44 PM
Scrape the edges and sand with 400 grit if you practice you can use a torch to heat polish it after that. It will be just as clear as the rest.

Lee Schierer
10-27-2010, 12:51 PM
Thanks,

How do you polish the edges of lexan? What would you put in the tracks to aid in the lexan sliding, wax?

It is important that the case is lockable and secure, so if I make the dados for the track deep enought to pull the lexan out, that would be a problem. I was thinking about sizing the lexan to fit in a rebate, then adding a strip of oak to complete the track.

I really appreciate your thoughts guys

Normally sand to 400+ grit and then buff on a soft wheel with polishing compound. You'll also want to round the leading and trailing corners so they aren't square to prevent catching on the bottom of the grooves. If you round the top and bottom edges, you will have less surface contact and less friction for sliding the doors.